Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Aliens : ANother Glorious Day in the Corps  (Read 16735 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 05:44:46 PM
There's a fair amount of discussion on the Core Space forum over the two Aliens games (Glorious Day and AvP) and which minis are better.  Seems like a lot of people are opting to swap out the minis from Glorious Day in favour of those from AvP.  TBH, the level of detail on the AvP minis is astounding.  It also makes them a bitch to paint and, because they're resin, they break easily.

AvP is DEFINITELY light-years better, minis-wise. I wish I'd never sold my copy. Oh well.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 05:59:43 PM
Ordered and the expansions. They'll be here tomorrow  :bigthumb:

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 06:24:13 PM
Might be preaching to the choir here but when you're attaching the tails for the xenomorphs, I'd recommend using a fine drill to drill out a hole in the end of the tail and the base of the alien's body where the tail is meant to attach and then snipping off a small bit of wire or a bit of a staple.  Insert that into the hole to use as an anchor point when gluing.  Lots of complaints about people having trouble getting the tails to stay glued down.

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:54 AM
Thanks - sounds like they'll break off as soon as you put them in the box!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 06:42:10 AM
they should be like the genestealers from Space Hulk - they were sturdy creatures and no mistake................and so many of them................you keep shooting and still they come...............your stormbolter jams.......no AP's left...................and still they come............

Its OK, I'll be fine again soon. <twitch.twitch>

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 08:01:40 AM
Ha

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 08:03:32 AM
I'm sure others are admiring the game boxes, but I'm admiring all of those painting tools behind them.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 08:19:30 AM
lol - yeah - I'm still working on my A-10. I got all the bombs base painted the other day...still a fair bit to do.

judgedredd

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 08:24:02 AM
I've got a few models to get through  :doh:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 09:00:07 AM
Another suggestion, JD - take a small coin, preferably of low value, and glue it to the inside of the base of each Alien figure. Or, use some other item (e.g. a washer). It will add loads of stability to the figure.

I didn't really have issues with the tails...just used Testors model cement and held it for a few seconds, and it worked like a charm. I'd place the figure so that the tail was shored up by something, such as placing it in a box so the tail was up against the wall, or sitting on a pen or something, to help keep it in place while it dried, but the tails weren't nearly the pain in the butt that cutting the tiny pieces of the sprues was.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 10:11:32 AM
I'm sure others are admiring the game boxes, but I'm admiring all of those painting tools behind them.  :bigthumb:

Yep.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 10:35:57 AM
Another suggestion, JD - take a small coin, preferably of low value, and glue it to the inside of the base of each Alien figure. Or, use some other item (e.g. a washer). It will add loads of stability to the figure.

I didn't really have issues with the tails...just used Testors model cement and held it for a few seconds, and it worked like a charm. I'd place the figure so that the tail was shored up by something, such as placing it in a box so the tail was up against the wall, or sitting on a pen or something, to help keep it in place while it dried, but the tails weren't nearly the pain in the butt that cutting the tiny pieces of the sprues was.

Dang, is it a game or another hobby?  :2funny:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:04 PM
If you're into assembling minis, it's definitely awesome.

I am not a fan of this, but powered through it one afternoon. I'm quite shocked I didn't cut myself with the Xacto blade.

It's one of the things Martin and I lamented in the episode. We understand it keeps costs down for everyone, but I'd much rather, were I a buyer, to spend the extra cash on some quality minis.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:56 PM
I've got a few models to get through  :doh:

Damn, JD  :2funny:

I almost bought a Fw-190 model as I've been looking for something to use for pictoral references for an AAR. I bought an A&A Angels 20 base/starter set late last year; it has some very awesome large aircraft minis (two Bf-109s, one Me-110, and three Spitfires), but I need a few more. Not sure if I want to take the plunge into model-building though.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 02:28:37 PM
There's a good selection there, JD. The He 219 'Uhu' looks like a good model.