Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Explorminate's Top Ten 4X Games of All Time List  (Read 7580 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:40 PM
EU4 does have a random New World option.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 09:38:11 PM
It’s been a while but I don’t think there’s any exterminating in eu either - Austria will always be Austria it’s just a case of who owns it

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 12:29:28 PM
It’s been a while but I don’t think there’s any exterminating in eu either - Austria will always be Austria it’s just a case of who owns it

Aye, but games like Stellaris and DW:U don't require you to exterminate anyone.  So should those game be disqualified from being 4X

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 12:51:33 PM

Aye, but games like Stellaris and DW:U don't require you to exterminate anyone.  So should those game be disqualified from being 4X

you don't have to exterminate anyone in a Civ game, but it can be cathartic to do so  :biggrin:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 01:03:18 PM
They're still 4x games since extermination is always an option, even if that's not the path you choose to take to win.  It's pretty much a mandatory victory condition in a 4x title. 

In addition, I again refer back to Anguille's comments on starting conditions. 

you don't have to exterminate anyone in a Civ game, but it can be cathartic to do so  :biggrin:

Also, this.  >:D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2021, 05:43:54 PM

The expression was created for Master of Orion by Alan Emrich. But MOO has also a diplomatic type of victory which is the one i usually choose. I like to have some warfare in my 4x games but i never go the eXtermination way.  I usually don't  play so much the 4x that have almost only this option (Swords of the Stars, Polaris Sector etc.)....maybe because i am not so good at it.....