Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: HMS Royal Oak  (Read 3388 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
on: May 16, 2021, 11:13:15 PM
I happened to run across this on YouTube.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 07:17:07 AM
Very interesting.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 10:47:13 PM
Fascinating, if tragic.  I don't think I'd heard about the HMS Royal Oak before. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 06:44:28 AM
It was a massive shock right at the beginning of the war with over 800 of the crew lost.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:00:30 AM
It's funny, in a macabre way, how these things go with the public:

Public: "It's WAR then! We'll whup 'em in no time and be home for Christmas!"
War: "let me just see about that, now"

That was a very interesting video, though. It doesn't look like she's that deep in the water so it's great they were able to get such good film of the wreck.

It's also pretty amazing how these wrecks are still leaking oil even to this day (the Arizona also comes to mind).

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 11:45:21 AM
The first time I ever heard of the HMS Royal Oak sinking was as a teenager reading Wouk's "The Winds of War". If I recall correctly, the protagonist Pug Henry was at a diplomatic dinner party in Berlin where the Captain who had sunk the Royal Oak was a guest.  Like so many other parts of TWOW, it sent me scurrying to a history book for more information.

The video is sad and fascinating. I got a lot out of the discussion of the islands themselves and Scapa Flow. To an American, a fairly new country as these things go, living in a nation with Stone Age remains is mind blowing. Of course, we DO keep digging up T-Rex bones in our badlands, so there's that.   8)

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 07:13:29 PM
What struck me most about it is that all of the other documentaries I've seen focused on Gunter Prien and the u-boat's sneak into Scapa Flow.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:34:43 PM
Good point!   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.