Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Antietam  (Read 16851 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: May 12, 2020, 03:06:58 PM

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 03:12:29 PM
I've had that in the cart soooo many times!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:29:06 PM
I finally managed to pick it up from Hexasim in France who just got stock in today- non of the UK stores have it yet.

There is a Vassal mod for it Mike :-)

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:08:47 PM
That map looks pretty old school

:bigthumb:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 06:13:45 AM
Yep, it is pretty old school, but its a nice brigade level game of a battle that I have always found interesting. Nice components, easy to learn and play, and ideal for solo, plus it can play through fairly quickly.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 09:00:54 AM
Bawb, this is pretty unlikely, but if the opportunity ever came up, Antietam battlefield is a very nice day.
It's well maintained, well marked, and surprisingly small.
It can easily be walked, or biked.
This makes it quite clear how poor McClellan was in the presence of the enemy.
A gamer once noted how different second Manassas and Antietam would have been if the union commanders had been swapped.
Pope's combativeness would have worked at Antietam, while Mac's cauton was suited to Second Manassas.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 09:07:57 AM
 :bigthumb:

If only  ;)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 09:22:20 AM
I'm embarrassed to say I live about 80 miles from Antietam and have never been.  :-[

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 09:43:51 AM
SHOCK HORROR!

Did you buy the game yet?  ;D

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 09:46:55 AM
I'm about 75 miles away from the battlefield and have been there several times.  I'm tempted to buy the game and play it a few times, and then return to the battlefield to see if playing the game gives me a new perspective.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 09:49:04 AM
SHOCK HORROR!

Did you buy the game yet?  ;D

>:D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 09:50:27 AM
I'm about 75 miles away from the battlefield and have been there several times.  I'm tempted to buy the game and play it a few times, and then return to the battlefield to see if playing the game gives me a new perspective.

That sounds like a great idea  :bigthumb:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 09:59:32 AM
After I retire (two more years!) I'm hoping to visit some of the closer battlefields.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:00 AM
After I retire (two more years!) I'm hoping to visit some of the closer battlefields.

I have 35.5 months until retirement myself.  I calculated that I have about 600 working days.

If they open up Virginia soon, my wife and might take a day trip south to visit Chancellorsville, Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Courthouse.  We did all three in one day a couple of years ago, so this time we might do two out of three.

Manassas is closest to me, but I've only been there once or twice.  I've been to Gettysburg probably 8 times, Antietam probably 4 times.

I bought a game for the battle Kernstown last year and also want to play that.  I haven't been there in 10 years, but after playing the game it would be good to get back out there.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 10:45:10 AM
If I were ever able to do so,  I would have loved to follow Jackson's route around the Shenandoah Valley..