Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Antietam  (Read 16313 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #75 on: August 29, 2020, 02:34:48 PM
B_C, make sure you get the v1.2 rules which have a couple of significant changes and clarifications. There are also one or two set-up errors so its worth checking the BGG page.

:bigthumb:

I saw that on BGG, thanks though. I need to print it out.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #76 on: September 03, 2020, 06:54:08 AM
I've got the full campaign set up and ready to go.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #77 on: September 03, 2020, 07:02:14 AM
Beware the cat!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #78 on: September 03, 2020, 07:56:25 AM
Beware the cat!

I've a solution to that problem in an upcoming video. No cats were harmed in production.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #79 on: September 03, 2020, 08:01:51 AM
Beware the cat!

She doesn't appear to be an ACW fan.

judgedredd

Reply #80 on: September 03, 2020, 08:10:21 AM
What's so special about the battle at Antietam? There were loads of battles in the Civil War.

Why is this one so special to you (by you I mean anyone who knows and "likes" (for want of a better word) this specific battle)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #81 on: September 03, 2020, 08:53:59 AM
In some ways, it was a turning point. Since it could be viewed as a Union Victory (or at least, not a defeat) something which the Union had not been able to achieve up to that point. This allowed Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, which he had been holding on to awaiting such a positive moment to arrive.

This effectively stopped other countries, mainly England and France, from recognising the Confederacy, something which was a real possibility, since they could not be seen to supporting a country who still had slavery. Remember that by this time, both England and France had outlawed slavery.

Its a bit more complex than that, but that is the gist of it.

Furthermore, the battle itself, in conjunction with South Mountain, is very interesting. McClellan missed a chance to decisively destroy Lee's army, even though he had captured a copy of Lee's full battle plan. A significant portion of his army was never committed to battle even though it was 'on the field'.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:33:23 AM by bob48 »

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #82 on: September 03, 2020, 09:15:10 AM
Not to take us down a rabid rabbit hole, but there was a wargamer, George Vrooman, who was an Episcopal monk with an interest in wargaming.  (You meet the strangest people at gaming conventions.)
He was interested in the generals of the seventeen the and eighteenth centuries, a favorite was Turrene.
What intrigued him was how few decisive battles there were.  This was to him, because of the generals training and personality.
He thought McClellan was doomed to mediocrity because of being a manager of a railroad and jumping up too fast to control an army too big.  (Peter Principle).
This was typical of many generals of the earlier time, who were royal favorite and over trusted.
But as a religious, he also felt God didn't let him win decisively.  If he had, then Mac would have surely become president in time.  Since he was ambivalent on slavery, that would not work within God's plan.

I hate mixing theology with wargaming.  How many sixes can fit on the head of a pin?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

judgedredd

Reply #83 on: September 03, 2020, 09:29:44 AM
In some ways, it was a turning point. Since it could be viewed as a Union Victory (or at least, not a defeat) something which the Union had not been able to achieve up to that point. This allowed Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, which he had been holding on to awaiting such a positive moment to arrive.

This effectively stopped other countries, mainly England and France, from recognising the Confederacy, something which was a real possibility, since they could not be seen to supporting a country who still had slavery. Remember that by this time, both England and France had outlawed slavery.

Its a bit more complex than that, but that is the gist of it.

Furthermore, the battle itself, in conjunction the South Mountain, is very interesting. McClellan missed a chance to decisively destroy Lee's army, even though he had captured a copy of Lee's full battle plan. A significant portion of his army was never committed to battle even though it was 'on the field'.
Cheers  :bigthumb:

I have actually watched Civil War by Ken Burns - but I don't retain a whole lot nowadays. I do remember this now you mention it - particularly that McClellan left a chunk of his forces out of the battle

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #84 on: September 03, 2020, 09:52:11 AM
What's so special about the battle at Antietam? There were loads of battles in the Civil War.

Why is this one so special to you (by you I mean anyone who knows and "likes" (for want of a better word) this specific battle)

It is generally regarded as the single bloodiest day in American military history.

It was also the first time the south had a serious presence north of the Potomac River.  Lee had momentum, and this was a serious threat to DC and to the north.

And as Bob pointed out, victory (or at least not a defeat) enabled Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #85 on: September 03, 2020, 11:02:21 AM
Yeah, was going to say the casualty count for one day was somewhere near 23,000. About 3500 of them were killed.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #86 on: September 03, 2020, 12:05:38 PM
I always wondered why a great general like Lee decided to stand with his back to the Potomac River. After visiting the battlefield, I'm still not sure why he did that. I think Lee was thinking after he beat the Yankees, he would drive on north into Pennsylvania and therefore needed a bridgehead across the Potomac. But I still think the ground at Antietam wasn't that good for the South, his southern flank was out of sight of his center and the ground to the north was easily flanked by the North. Plus he was heavily outnumbered. If Lee had been cut-off above the Potomac, it would've been a disaster for him ultimately I think. I believe Lee should've stood south of the river and dared Little Mac to come across. But if I had been in command, the South probably would have lost at Fort Sumter.   :notme:  Either way, it's a great battlefield to visit. Really pretty country.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #87 on: September 03, 2020, 12:11:01 PM
I suspect that its because Lee knew McClellan and counted on him being over cautious.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #88 on: September 03, 2020, 03:34:19 PM
I agree and he probably over estimated Longstreet and Jackson's abilities. I don't think either one was keen on the idea of fighting there.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming