Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON..........Horse and Musket (H&M)  (Read 45483 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #75 on: October 21, 2021, 06:01:47 PM
Plus, My Own Worst Enemy has a couple of gameplay videos:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #76 on: October 21, 2021, 06:05:56 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 06:03:39 AM
I'm totally underwhelmed. I really thought that this was a really popular games system. >:(

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #78 on: October 24, 2021, 08:59:56 PM
I'm totally underwhelmed. I really thought that this was a really popular games system. >:(

Maybe potential customers look at it and see another C&C with way lesser visuals ? Just a thought.

On the other hand is interesting that other Blue Panther 'partners' - White Dog Games and High Flying Dice - do have distribution in continental EU directly. Hollandspiel doesn't, only through UK Second Chance games. I have zero clue about business other than my own wallet though there's interest in the continent but not enough interest to pay the extra import fees, so we stick with what exists.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #79 on: October 25, 2021, 07:13:36 AM
You could be right.

The game also is a development of the earlier 'Hold the Line' I think, which was also designed by Mr.Chick and published by Worthington.

As far as I'm aware, Second Chance games is the sole stockist of Hollandspiele games in the UK.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #80 on: October 25, 2021, 08:28:07 AM
Not sure about 'way lesser visuals' other than not having blocks or cards. And that, IMO, is one of the better things about the Horse and Musket series.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #81 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:03 AM
Not sure about 'way lesser visuals' other than not having blocks or cards. And that, IMO, is one of the better things about the Horse and Musket series.

I will agree. Still "bang for buck" the bling wins. Hopefully some stores might order it here, but I totally doubt it. Even Agorajeux which is one of the stockists of everything blue panther doesn't even has H. in their lists.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #82 on: October 25, 2021, 11:17:11 AM
Unfortunate that it's not available over there. It is worth noting that you can purchase the Print 'n Play versions (except, for now I guess, H&M Volume IV) at Wargame Vault. In fact, a lot of Hollandspiele's catalog is available there. Probably not the best solution but better than nothing.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #83 on: October 25, 2021, 11:27:49 AM
I only have Vol I, and that as a PnP. Not ideal, and there is a bit of work involved to create it all, especially the counters, but good enough to be able to play it. Plus there is a pretty good Vassal mod available which is a viable alternative once you have the rules and scenario book.

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #84 on: October 25, 2021, 06:39:06 PM
I will keep my eyes open for a physical. I check every month in the continent stores, sometimes there's stock in the "used games".

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 10:31:16 AM
So what do people think of the Horse & Musket series compared to the Command and Colors series? The biggest difference in the two gamewise are the cards. I like the cards in C&C but I feel like a have more control over my forces in H&M. Also, it makes it easier to play H&M solo.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #86 on: October 26, 2021, 03:09:08 PM
So what do people think of the Horse & Musket series compared to the Command and Colors series? The biggest difference in the two gamewise are the cards. I like the cards in C&C but I feel like a have more control over my forces in H&M. Also, it makes it easier to play H&M solo.

That is actually a great discussion to hear.

"Similar but nothing related Games!"

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #87 on: October 26, 2021, 06:21:35 PM
If any of you is wondering which scenarios are covered so far (and which might be in the future), I have a list sorted by volumes and sorted by year/conflicts for your convenience.

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #88 on: October 27, 2021, 06:13:26 AM
If any of you is wondering which scenarios are covered so far (and which might be in the future), I have a list sorted by volumes and sorted by year/conflicts for your convenience.

That's a great list Jan.
From where did you buy your copies ?! ( if you own any physical )

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #89 on: October 27, 2021, 10:37:42 AM
I really can't make a comparison with C&C for the simple reason that I've never played it. However, these are, for what its worth, some of my thoughts on the H&M system in general.

I only have Volume I, and so only have access to the rules for that, although I have played a number of scenarios from Vol II and III on Vassal with someone who is very knowledgeable about the rules and has all the material published for those and later expansions.

Therefore, I was only aware of any additional rules that applied to those later games as they were conveyed to me by my opponent.. I really am not sure if any /all of these additional rules can be applied retrospectively to the earlier games.

While the base rules are pretty easy to learn, there are a lot of 'optional' and 'recommended' rules that add a significant amount of detail (and thus complexity) to the game.

One one hand, the system is quite clever in that it employs one of three combat tables depending on the size of the battle depicted in the scenario. This obviously enables the system to simulate a lot of scenarios over quite a long historical period when used in conjunction with any relevant special scenario rules provided.

However, in order to do all this, certain sacrifices and abstractions are required. For example, ground scale and unit size are not detailed which does at times make the battles feel a bit generic,. Thus, a unit may represent anything from a few battalions to a few regiments and is just a mass of troops. I'm not inferring that this doesn't work, but to me, it does feel a bit too vague.

Now, I'm no expert on any of the periods covered by the games but have read a few books and played a few games that fit into the time period, so I do have at least an inking of the tactics of those times, and one of the things about the games that had bothered me is 'recommended' rules for formation and facing.

These additional rules obviously add much to the authenticity of the games but a at a cost of slowing things down a little. It also introduces the use of a new chart that influences the combat calculations by making a comparison of the attacking units formation in relation to the defending units formation.
My argument is that where the unit is a large body, as maybe depicted in one of the 'large' battle scenarios, then would all the sub units in that body be in the same formation and with the same facing? For example, some flank battalions (or whatever) may be in a refused flank. This is easy enough to depict with smaller scale games but has to be assumed to be the case where the unit represents a large body of troops.

Anyway, my point is that I do wonder at the validity of the formation and facing rules. I stress that this is just my take on it and I'm quite happy if someone want to try and educate me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:42:38 AM by bob48 »