Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228104 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #465 on: December 13, 2019, 02:27:35 PM
I've got some LnL content to get through (most notably, Space Infantry: Resurgence as well as its expansion - look for unboxing videos coming soon), but now that my daughter is here, we're going to be starting up Gloomhaven. I read the manual this morning and wow, what an excellent document that was - over 40 pages but a quick and easy read with lots of examples and clear, unambiguous text. Though I did see a lot of errata, so that'll be interesting.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for rules clarification on BGG. Also, feel free to ask here.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #466 on: December 13, 2019, 02:58:32 PM
Appreciate it.  :bigthumb:

What did you do insofar as storage? Baggies? Plano boxes? Full-on Broken Token? That latter costs about as much as the game and while it looks awesome and has rave reviews, that's a negative. The Plano boxes, I found on BGG under a thread called Y.A.S.S. (Yet Another Storage Solution), and have everything in my cart. Thing is it wouldn't be delivered until Sunday and if we start tomorrow it's a bit late. (The cost of all the Plano boxes and extras is about $30 compared to $90 for Broken Token.)

I might be overthinking this storage bit but it seems everyone thinks you need SOME kind of aid. What do you think?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #467 on: December 13, 2019, 03:12:50 PM
Two Plano 23701 boxes that sit on top of the Gloomhaven box. They hold all of the tokens/stands. Everything else fits inside the Gloomhaven box. I put the terrain tiles in Ziplock freezer bags. Each current character class in play goes in a regular sandwich-size Ziplock bag between sessions. The Elements Board and Elements Tokens also go into a sandwich-size Ziplock bag.

The Broken Token organizer looks nice, but it almost costs as much as the game. Too much for me.

The one thing I do regret is not buying the Gloomhaven Removable Sticker Set so that I could 'reset' the game. I did keep all of the event cards (they tell you to trash some of them). There is an iPad app that you can also use that is pretty neat (and it is also possible to reset the game using that instead of the stickers).

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #468 on: December 13, 2019, 03:20:58 PM
Interesting, thanks. The YASS solution though allows for storage within the Gloomhaven box, of everything. I'm looking to keep its footprint the same, not bigger. ;D

But that removable sticker set, that's interesting. And only $12. I'd seen it before but thought I'd be lucky to get through one full game, let alone wanting to reset it for two.

Did you finish it, bbmike, or are you still slogging along? How many hours would you say you've put into it? I've heard it's upwards of 100 hours of entertainment, well worth the price in that case.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #469 on: December 13, 2019, 04:51:23 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, I'm watching A Bridge Too Far.
As I said somewhere earlier, the wife and I finished the campaign a while back (without realizing it) and we decided to continue along. It's still great fun and I'm sure we will play most of the scenarios before starting the expansion. It's a great fantasy board game.  :bigthumb: I wonder how long before we see Gloomhaven: The Role Playing Game.  :whistle:

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #470 on: December 13, 2019, 05:46:30 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, I'm watching A Bridge Too Far.

And drinking Scotch.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #471 on: December 13, 2019, 06:06:15 PM
Well...yeah.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #472 on: December 13, 2019, 06:10:59 PM
 :bigthumb:

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #473 on: December 13, 2019, 11:12:33 PM
Ah yes, you did, my bad on that.

That's one thing I was worried about, if the 'main missions' are not clearly defined, apart from 'side missions,' so you might accidentally win the game and go, "waitaminute, we still have half a board of locations to get to."

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #474 on: December 13, 2019, 11:14:38 PM
"A Scotch Too Far". One of my favorite things to do while watching, "A Bridge Too Far".  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #475 on: December 13, 2019, 11:15:22 PM
The Scotch needs to be within reach, though that would ruin the joke you just made.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #476 on: December 15, 2019, 02:04:40 AM
Bought Warhammer 2 in the steam sale and unleashed the Mortal realms campaign - chose the Wood Elves, has a really good start but then it failed catastrophically so rolled back a few autosaves and turned left instead of right so to speak

The last meet of my war gaming club is today - I hope to get there and unleash some new shineys against my opponent

I have 2 medium howitzers on the way for the Germans, and my daughter has spent my hard earned pocket money I give to her on a PzIV for Christmas

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #477 on: December 15, 2019, 06:36:01 AM
Nice one, 'geek. I'm waiting to see if there is anything in the Steam Christmas sale that I fancy. Hopefully, Age of Wonders Planetfall.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #478 on: December 15, 2019, 07:43:30 AM
Is that age of wonders in space

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #479 on: December 15, 2019, 07:54:21 AM
So it would seem :-)