Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON..........Horse and Musket (H&M)  (Read 45160 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 04:25:00 PM
OK guys - what's the update on what's out next, and when?

any chance of getting a pre-release game of something to show off on SNF?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #46 on: July 27, 2020, 04:44:09 PM
Doug is obviously the man to ask where H&M is concerned.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #47 on: July 27, 2020, 04:48:59 PM
Brant will troll anyone for content.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 09:09:25 AM
Volume IV, which covers the American and French revolutions is in the works. It may come out this year, depending on Hollandspiele's publishing schedule. Annual 3 is also in the works.

I'd have to get Tom, Mary and Sean to sign off for us to do any preview of anything. I'll check when I get back from VA.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 01:53:23 PM
AmRev, you say?

This I can build the heck out of using Lazyboy's stuff that started it all.

Just say the word.

And, as you know, if you've got any SYW stuff in the Annual, we can do that too.

Folks seem to like the H&M streams...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #50 on: July 28, 2020, 02:13:51 PM
AmRev, you say?
If you a guinea pig to teach it to just say the word.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #51 on: July 28, 2020, 02:24:04 PM
The H&M system is very good indeed.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #52 on: July 28, 2020, 02:27:40 PM
It is. Doug taught me in one evening.
I still owe him another round....  :-[

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 02:30:44 PM
I only have the base game, and that is the PnP version.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #54 on: July 28, 2020, 02:33:38 PM
We played on VASSAL. It's got all the games.!  :D

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #55 on: July 28, 2020, 02:42:12 PM
I actually bought the print versions on Wargame Vault but have yet to take a look at them.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #56 on: July 28, 2020, 03:35:53 PM
We played on VASSAL. It's got all the games.!  :D

Aye, I have played it with Doug on Vassal and I do have all the mods.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #57 on: July 28, 2020, 03:55:47 PM
I'll see what I can do on some of the AmRev stuff. We have what might be my favorite mix of scenarios so far coming out in Vol IV.

It's been a blast to hang out and talk with people these past two days at the Williamsburg Armory and Magazine. I had about a twenty-minute talk with a wheelwright yesterday about the ubiquity and usefulness of two-wheeled carts over wagons for transporting supplies. I thn moved over to the leatherworker and he and I talked for probably thirty minutes about shoes and the difficulties the Americans faced early in the war due to not having any accountability in the logistics system. He recommended a book called Supplying Washington's Army that discusses the logistics of the Revolution. It all made me wish I'd had another Hollandspiele game, Supply Lines of the American Revolution with me.

Today at the Magazine there was a really great display of five three-pounders, one of which had a brass barrel, and one with a very accurate gun carriage. They also had laid out examples of round, canister, and case shot, and explained the use. Another demo was loading and firing a Land Pattern "Brown Bess" musket, after which the interpreter explained (at a high level) things like platoon firing. I ended up talking with him and mentioned With Zeal and Bayonets Only. He said that book was their bible.

I'm really very favorably impressed with Williamsburg and the staff. They have nice canned speeches, but the second you show more interest that can go deep. If they figure out you understand, you're suddenly having a very rewarding conversation. All of this, mind you, with everyone wearing masks in 100F heat, having just come out of a three-month shutdown. This is very much worth the trip.

Tomorrow is Jamestown and Thursday Yorktown. I'll get some pictures of the fortifications.

I should also mention that there are many, many fine examples of pebbled concrete throughout the town.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #58 on: July 28, 2020, 04:22:06 PM
Dude, you are only about an hour and a half from where I am! If it weren't for the plague I would be crashing your party right now.  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #59 on: July 28, 2020, 05:22:16 PM
I'll see what I can do on some of the AmRev stuff. We have what might be my favorite mix of scenarios so far coming out in Vol IV.

It's been a blast to hang out and talk with people these past two days at the Williamsburg Armory and Magazine. I had about a twenty-minute talk with a wheelwright yesterday about the ubiquity and usefulness of two-wheeled carts over wagons for transporting supplies. I thn moved over to the leatherworker and he and I talked for probably thirty minutes about shoes and the difficulties the Americans faced early in the war due to not having any accountability in the logistics system. He recommended a book called Supplying Washington's Army that discusses the logistics of the Revolution. It all made me wish I'd had another Hollandspiele game, Supply Lines of the American Revolution with me.

Today at the Magazine there was a really great display of five three-pounders, one of which had a brass barrel, and one with a very accurate gun carriage. They also had laid out examples of round, canister, and case shot, and explained the use. Another demo was loading and firing a Land Pattern "Brown Bess" musket, after which the interpreter explained (at a high level) things like platoon firing. I ended up talking with him and mentioned With Zeal and Bayonets Only. He said that book was their bible.

I'm really very favorably impressed with Williamsburg and the staff. They have nice canned speeches, but the second you show more interest that can go deep. If they figure out you understand, you're suddenly having a very rewarding conversation. All of this, mind you, with everyone wearing masks in 100F heat, having just come out of a three-month shutdown. This is very much worth the trip.

Tomorrow is Jamestown and Thursday Yorktown. I'll get some pictures of the fortifications.

I should also mention that there are many, many fine examples of pebbled concrete throughout the town.

You likely deduced this -- or perhaps one of them told you -- but when I was in grad school I discovered a lot of threadbare MA and PhD candidates at W&M work there to make ends meet.  You can run into the next real expert if you play your cards right :).

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor