Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: SHAEF. Any one play it? Thoughts?  (Read 6082 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
on: April 21, 2019, 06:25:17 PM
I see SHAEF is on sale at CSI right now.  I passed over it when it first came out as it's from the guy who designed Quatermaster General and I didn't care for that one too much as it was a bit too light for my tastes.  SHAEF has a pretty terrible score over at BGG but after reading through the forums, it seems that a lot of the hate is coming from Euro gamers who were expecting another game of similar complexity to QMG.  It seems like SHAEF is a great deal more complex than QMG and it does look somewhat intriguing.  The way you use cards to design your army groups reminds me a bit of the army organization trees from Hearts of Iron 3.  It also sounds like the rulebook is poorly written and that there might be some ambiguities.  I'm not sure if these are from poorly explained rules or from people who don't have a wargaming/military history background not understanding the concepts and terms.

Anyone played it?  Thoughts?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/259709

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 06:39:07 PM
This is a new one on me and I'm kind of a nerd about this stuff.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:11:02 PM
Dunno about that game in particular, but Ian Brody is a good dude who does an excellent job of writing rules.  QMG isn't a very heavy wargame so it likely had a lot of appeal to the Eurogamers, and anything more complex was going to screw with them.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:31:48 PM
That's my take on it as well after reading the BGG forum.  Not sure if I should take the plunge or not though.  I just sold a bunch of games at Trumpeter's salute because I'm over extended on shelf space (still).  Not sure if I should be adding to the collection....