Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warfighter Modern  (Read 9498 times)

judgedredd

on: October 22, 2019, 03:39:58 AM
So I decided as I'd been through the rules, this was the game I was going to play.

I had a squad, an NPS and 2 soldiers. The first soldier I choose had a location card to allow me to move out - but it required 1 XP and as we didn't have any, I had to use an action discard and draw. Having pulled no location cards, I had to perform this again, using the soldiers second action. Then I had to use both actions of my other soldier and in the last draw, I picked another location requiring an XP.

Damn! That's because there's a stack of about 100 action cards and probably half a dozen location cards!

Anyway - I gave up and started again - I didn't know how I was to proceed.

How do I proceed?
  • Can I use actions from the squad or NPS to discard and redraw for one or both of my soldiers? I don't recall anywhere in the rules suggesting actions can be moved between soldiers
  • Do I move onto the Hostile section which can't actually be completed and then advance the turn marker?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 05:47:39 AM
You move on in the turn sequence. It’s a FUBAR in your orders and your team is lost until they find a location they can enter, using up valuable time.

No NPC actions cannot be used to exchange cards.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:30:54 AM
I have the WWII version. It can be a frustrating game at times but it is fun. I like that you are tracking individual soldiers. In fact, I just bought a cheap bucket load of plastic army men so I could paint a few to use with this game.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 08:34:35 AM
Thanks for that.

I didn't think about the fubar - I have a perfect squad. Oh well...it does make sense.

It doesn't mention in the rules about doing that. There is a mention in the sample play through about a soldier discarding and pulling cards and choosing a location card - but it didn't suggest that he discarded to GET a location card.

Thank you  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 08:39:15 AM
One thing I didn't think of - but seen in a post elsewhere - was that people play with one playable soldier and the rest as squad or NPS...saying that it'#s easier.

Certainly one of the things I find difficult (and a bit of a chore) is trying to keep within my resource points when choosing my squads, weapons, equipment and  choosing soldiers and skill cards. I spend an absolute age adding/removing/modifying loadouts

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:41:46 AM
Certainly one of the things I find difficult (and a bit of a chore) is trying to keep within my resource points when choosing my squads, weapons, equipment and  choosing soldiers and skill cards. I spend an absolute age adding/removing/modifying loadouts

That's one thing that kept me from getting it to the table too often, but that analysis paralysis will go away the more you play it. You'll get more of a feel for what works, what doesn't (for you), and how much you want to try 'next time.'

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 08:57:37 AM
I have the WWII version. It can be a frustrating game at times but it is fun. I like that you are tracking individual soldiers. In fact, I just bought a cheap bucket load of plastic army men so I could paint a few to use with this game.  :D
Thanks - just bought these
https://www.emodels.co.uk/masterbox-1-35-no-soldier-left-behind-mwd-down-35181.html

and these
https://www.emodels.co.uk/trumpeter-1-35-u-s-army-in-iraq-2005-4-figs-vinyl-vests-418-plastic-model-figures.html

:-\

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 09:05:20 AM
Those look waaaay nicer than cheap plastic toy soldiers!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:58:42 AM
One thing I didn't think of - but seen in a post elsewhere - was that people play with one playable soldier and the rest as squad or NPS...saying that it'#s easier.

I can't see having only one playable soldier as easier. It means you have only 1 hand of cards. More hands of cards makes everything easier. More chance for locations, more cards to use for moving, move bonus cards etc.
You can have many more soldiers in your squad if you only have one player soldier but what goo is that if the can't move anywhere or shoot stuff.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 10:00:14 AM
Thanks - just bought these
https://www.emodels.co.uk/masterbox-1-35-no-soldier-left-behind-mwd-down-35181.html

and these
https://www.emodels.co.uk/trumpeter-1-35-u-s-army-in-iraq-2005-4-figs-vinyl-vests-418-plastic-model-figures.html

:-\

Those look great. I'm just too lazy to paint them.  :P

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 10:30:57 AM

I can't see having only one playable soldier as easier. It means you have only 1 hand of cards. More hands of cards makes everything easier. More chance for locations, more cards to use for moving, move bonus cards etc.
You can have many more soldiers in your squad if you only have one player soldier but what goo is that if the can't move anywhere or shoot stuff.
True - more cards. But even the sample mission in the rulebook has one soldier and one NPS (or squad - can't remember).

I think perhaps they meant it was easier in that you didn't have to work out the plethora of player/equipment/weapons/skills options available.

But yeah - in terms of cards and locations, I'd have spent 5 turns last night just trying to get a location! I just can't help but think there are too few location cards for the number of action cards. I'll count them tonight. The action deck is HUGE!

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 10:40:21 AM
Just wait until you acquire and add all the stuff in the expansion packs... :o

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 10:42:17 AM
Yeah the action deck gets huge with so many add-ons. Someone on BGG did some number crunching and worked out what the original action card to location card ratio in the base game. He then suggested to keep the balance of the original game you just randomly discard some action cards to make the correct ratio.

I like having all the chaos caused by the huge deck.

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 11:30:31 AM
I have to say, playing this last night I had a fantastic time. I couldn't stop thinking about it today....

This is a dangerous time - this is when I "rediscover" my love for a game and then go mad on the expansions only for the love to falter...must resist.

By the way - who has the WWII version and is it better than the Modern version?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 11:35:13 AM
I don't have the WWII version but I am currently waiting for the Wave 3 stuff, PMC etc., and the Battle Pack expansion.  :D