Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warfighter Modern  (Read 9468 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 02:24:04 PM
I have WWII and the Pacific expansion.  Not sure why as the system doesn't really click with me.  I figure if you like the series, you'll like WWII.  Lots of different nationalities and theatres to play around with.

judgedredd

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 05:51:26 PM
There's a couple of things I'm unsure of...some clarification would be sweet.

Action Cards
Some cards cost XPs, some cost and action and others cost action card discards. I presume even if a soldier is out of actions, I can play an action card if there's no cost to it at all?

If you can, can you play it for another soldier (when it says in brackets [Any Soldier] and you pay the appropriate XP)?

Hand Size
I saw a location card with text saying something like "For this location treat soldier Hand Size as +1"...does that mean for each soldier in that location and each turn, they draw an additional card?

Also - I saw an objective card that said +0 size....what does that even mean? If it means you don't increase the Hand Size, then I wouldn't have anyway (unless I performed a discard and draw). Does it mean if I have excess cards, I have to discard to my health value?

XP Usage
If I read the rules right, XP expenditure can come from any soldier? And I presume the XP cost can be split?

The rules seem to be lax when it comes to explaining some of the text. There's a key word section at the back of the book, but it's lacking in (detailed) information I think.

Thanks

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 07:35:29 PM
Actions cards - Yes and Yes.

Hand size - You don't draw +1 each turn but if you do an Exchange action then you get to draw an extra. No idea what the +0 means....  ??? Which Objective is that?

XP Usage - Yes anyone can pay with XPs. All XPs in your team are a general pool expect when a soldier dies and takes his XPs to the grave.

Check out the new Keyword file in the BGG files sections.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 01:46:17 AM
Thanks Barth. I will get over there now 'cos I do need some help with keywords. Because there's not alot of info, they're wide open to speculation.

The Objective is Jungle - Convoy. It says +0 size.

judgedredd

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 03:56:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up for the keywords...I think it'll definitely help.

However........

I did notice a word on that one which wasn't in the manual - NATURE - which is on Location cards. I forgot about asking about this one and the new keyword PDF doesn't really help with that either.

Here's what the keyword PDF says
Nature - Reference. Remains in effect even if every remaining Reticle is Suppressed.

I still don't know what that means. What is the significance of the word NATURE?

Edit
I did just see this at the top of the keywords PDF
Reference words: Some Keywords have the “Reference”
notation in their description. These Keywords do not have a
game rule, but are referred to by other cards.

Example: The Keyword “Ranged” on Weapon cards does not
have an associated rule. It is referenced by other cards, such as
the Action card “Steady Aim”

So some cards reference NATURE...because I haven't come across any, that's why I don't get the significance of the word...I'll look through the cards tonight to see what references nature - see if I can piece it together from what I find

Sorry - one last thing...
When I move on from a location, it is cleared, right? I don't continue to pull reinforcements for it once my soldiers have moved on. I only ask because I saw a card that says I can eliminate all hostiles behind me.

Currently in my game, I have soldiers on location 2 and 4. I have been pulling reinforcements for both 2 and 4 because I have soldiers in them. Now I haven't for 3 because the reinforcement value is NONE - however, would I pull for 3 normally because it's between soldiers?

I guess basically I'm asking do I pull for all empty locations, only empty locations between my soldiers,  or do I not pull reinforcements at all for empty locations? Currently I am pulling reinforcements for locations where my soldiers are
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:51:40 AM by judgedredd »

judgedredd

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 04:54:44 AM
...No idea what the +0 means....  ??? Which Objective is that?
I found this in the keyword PDF
+/- Size - Add or subtract the Size value from your Attack
rolls when Attacking the Hostile or Objective. Remains in
effect even if every remaining Reticle is Suppressed.
So I guess that means you don't  any additional value on your attack rolls. Seems an odd thing to have - why not just not list it?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 06:13:32 AM
Thanks Barth. I will get over there now 'cos I do need some help with keywords. Because there's not alot of info, they're wide open to speculation.

The Objective is Jungle - Convoy. It says +0 size.

Oh that +0. It’s nothing to do with hand size it’s the size of the target. Bigger targets are easier to hit. A 0 size target gets no modifiers when you are shooting at it.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 06:16:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up for the keywords...I think it'll definitely help.

However........

I did notice a word on that one which wasn't in the manual - NATURE - which is on Location cards. I forgot about asking about this one and the new keyword PDF doesn't really help with that either.

Here's what the keyword PDF says
Nature - Reference. Remains in effect even if every remaining Reticle is Suppressed.

I still don't know what that means. What is the significance of the word NATURE?

Edit
I did just see this at the top of the keywords PDF
Reference words: Some Keywords have the “Reference”
notation in their description. These Keywords do not have a
game rule, but are referred to by other cards.

Example: The Keyword “Ranged” on Weapon cards does not
have an associated rule. It is referenced by other cards, such as
the Action card “Steady Aim”

So some cards reference NATURE...because I haven't come across any, that's why I don't get the significance of the word...I'll look through the cards tonight to see what references nature - see if I can piece it together from what I find

Sorry - one last thing...
When I move on from a location, it is cleared, right? I don't continue to pull reinforcements for it once my soldiers have moved on. I only ask because I saw a card that says I can eliminate all hostiles behind me.

Currently in my game, I have soldiers on location 2 and 4. I have been pulling reinforcements for both 2 and 4 because I have soldiers in them. Now I haven't for 3 because the reinforcement value is NONE - however, would I pull for 3 normally because it's between soldiers?

I guess basically I'm asking do I pull for all empty locations, only empty locations between my soldiers,  or do I not pull reinforcements at all for empty locations? Currently I am pulling reinforcements for locations where my soldiers are

Well, the PDF does contain words that might not be in your waves. There’s some new stuff coming in wave 3 and the PDF is supposed to cover everything up to there.

For location reinforcements I can’t remember off the top of my head. It’s definitely in the rules somewhere.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 06:17:16 AM
...No idea what the +0 means....  ??? Which Objective is that?
I found this in the keyword PDF
+/- Size - Add or subtract the Size value from your Attack
rolls when Attacking the Hostile or Objective. Remains in
effect even if every remaining Reticle is Suppressed.
So I guess that means you don't  any additional value on your attack rolls. Seems an odd thing to have - why not just not list it?

See above.

judgedredd

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 06:28:56 AM
Yeah - looking through the PDF it became clear it was all encompassing. But it's going to help for sure

I was looking at the expansions and they're very costly for new cards. £19 each over here. And there are (form what I can see in one store) 8 - that's £152.

I know you don't need them all and if you get the hours out of a system...everything is relative.

I'll be passing just now anyway to make sure I'm keeping up with this version. I've really enjoyed what can only be my 3rd or 4th play through. I plan to keep it on the table for a while (at least until I get WaW Storming the Gap)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 11:42:15 AM
I thought XPs only come from Player Soldiers...am I not remembering that right?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 12:40:06 PM
It says in the manual any soldier on page 5 when talking about upgunning. Whilst it doesn't say "player soldier", it also doesn't say "squad soldeir" or "NPS".

I'd say it was any soldier. Unless somewhere else in the manual it's more specific. The manual is a bit "messy" for want of a better phrase.

Anyway, wouldn't XPs for NPS and squads be useless as they don't have cards to play and it's cards that require XPs.

judgedredd

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 01:56:45 PM
For location reinforcements I can’t remember off the top of my head. It’s definitely in the rules somewhere.
The example play on the Hostile phase of Turn #6, it mentions drawing reinforcement cards, no reinforcements arrive for the Trail but a Thug does arrive at the objective card.

It doesn't mention any reinforcements being pulled for the Wetlands which is the second location in but has no soldiers in it. The Objective card which is ahead of the two soldiers, it does pull a reinforcement card. So I would say given the example that (at least) reinforcements do not show up behind your furthest away soldier...so they can show up in locations forward of your last soldier.

Actually Hostile Turn -> Reinforcement Draw says
Draw one hostile card for each location card with a soldier

So there it is.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:02:32 PM by judgedredd »

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 02:19:12 PM
I thought XPs only come from Player Soldiers...am I not remembering that right?

Since player soldiers are the only ones that can earn XPs then is stands to reason that they are the only ones the XPs can come from.
However, any player soldier can cough up the XPs to pay for any card, at any time, even during squad assembly.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 02:22:36 PM
The example play on the Hostile phase of Turn #6, it mentions drawing reinforcement cards, no reinforcements arrive for the Trail but a Thug does arrive at the objective card.

It doesn't mention any reinforcements being pulled for the Wetlands which is the second location in but has no soldiers in it. The Objective card which is ahead of the two soldiers, it does pull a reinforcement card. So I would say given the example that (at least) reinforcements do not show up behind your furthest away soldier...so they can show up in locations forward of your last soldier.

Actually Hostile Turn -> Reinforcement Draw says
Draw one hostile card for each location card with a soldier

So there it is.

Yep. As for the objective, as soon as you activate it is gets hostiles and every turn after it gets reinforcements. DON'T ACTIVATE THE OBJECTIVE UNTIL YOU ARE READY!!! Important safety tip.
There are hostile cards that tell you to place them in other locations than where they were drawn for... nasty buggers...