Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: War in Europe (SPI)  (Read 3759 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: May 06, 2023, 10:05:04 AM
When I met up with Bartheart recently, he mentioned that he had, by chance, picked up an almost unused copy of the old monster 'War in the West', still in the original SPI double flat-pack packages which incorporated storage trays.

Whilst I never managed to get this myself, way back in late 1970, maybe 1977, I did get a copy of 'War in the East' which forms the other part of this series. If you had the space, and time, you could join both games together and get a 'monster monster' game!

Given how many old SPI games have been redone by Decision games, I'm actually quite surprised that these have not received the same treatment. Admittedly, they are pretty simple by todays standards, with generic counters and fairly plain maps, but the gameplay itself was actually rather good. In particular, I like the 'production Cycle' aspect of the game.

Lots of gaming nostalgia here for me.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 10:59:53 AM
Decision did a 2nd Ed in '99, which doesn't sound that long ago, but was actually closer to the original release date than it is to today  :-[

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9143/war-europe-second-edition

I can remember pushing counters around on the original one, but I don't think we knew enough about what we were doing to really play it correctly.

I've not seen the second edition other than on a shelf here and there, but given the reputation among certain members of the wargaming community for Decision's... uh, "decisions" in some of their re-releases, I would definitely dig around a little for reviews before taking the plunge on one
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 11:02:03 AM by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 11:04:09 AM
Interesting as it it, its likely not something that I would want to revisit :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'