Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: I Have a Vocation -- And You're All Coming With Me  (Read 15620 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 05:53:11 PM
If you're interested in Thirty Years War tactical battles, you can find some great scenario information in Battles of the Thirty Years War by W P Guthrie.
He was a wargamer who was fascinated by the period.  You would probably find it easier to get the two volume set by inter library loan, since Greenfield publishing has closed shop.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 05:56:52 PM
Note made - thank you very much  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 10:11:49 PM
If you're interested in Thirty Years War tactical battles, you can find some great scenario information in Battles of the Thirty Years War by W P Guthrie.
He was a wargamer who was fascinated by the period.  You would probably find it easier to get the two volume set by inter library loan, since Greenfield publishing has closed shop.

I have both Guthrie volumes in hardback. They can be had from Amazon, but they aren't cheap. They are however, hands down the best source in English for details of the battles of the Thirty Years War. The detailed OOBs alone are worth the price.

I can tell you that Guthrie was definitely consulted for Horse & Musket. I would be surprised if Ben Hull hadn't used these heavily for his game series.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 08:54:08 AM
Glad you enjoyed the books.  Guthrie tried very hard to finish a third volume covering the fighting in France and Italy before cancer took him. 
I think someone finished it from his notes and incomplete first draft.  renamed it Actions of the Thirty Years War.

https://onmilitarymatters.com/pages/dfcatalog.php?period=1630

One of the criticisms that Will got a lot was his belief that the Swedish charge was an actual charge that Gustavus Adolphus adapted from the Polish cavalry.  Others maintained it was more of a controlled trot, like Marlborough used.
Would you know if this debate is still ongoing?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 10:22:07 AM
One of the criticisms that Will got a lot was his belief that the Swedish charge was an actual charge that Gustavus Adolphus adapted from the Polish cavalry.  Others maintained it was more of a controlled trot, like Marlborough used.

Yes, very much so. I was just discussing this with someone a few months ago, in fact. Outside of Guthrie the consensus really leans toward the trot. I have to admit I think Guthrie was right and I buy his argument. It's clear that GA learned a great deal during the Polish campaign that he incorporated into the Swedish army for the German campaigns.

I've heard of the third book, but don't yet have it. It's very much on my list.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 01:20:33 PM
If it helps, Will got a lot from the Swedish General Staff's studies, Sveriges Kreiges.
He had a heck of a time finding someone to translate it into english.  He kind of lucked out by finding that the military attache in the Swedish embassy was into military history. 
According to him, the Swedish military are fully on the side of a charge.  He thought the actual Swedish horse, like the Gotland and Smaland regiments, were trained in both, and used the tactic that was most appropriate in the particular situation.

mike0liver

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 09:13:23 AM
Before this goes public -- Facebook -- I'm trying to normalize the  list.  Here is what is certain to make its way to the tabletop::

Big Bloody Battles
Black Powder (Y)
Blucher (Y)
Commands and Colors: Napoleonics (Y)
De Bellis Napoleonicis
Fast-Play Grande Armee (X)
Horse and Musket
Horse, Foot, and Guns
Le Petit Empereur
March Attack
Morale Napoleon
Snappy Nappy
Volley and Bayonet (X)

Here is what will be excluded and the reasons therefore:

Age of Eagles (NFP) (p)
Carnage and Glory 2 (I need not elaborate.)
Empire in all its iterations (I need not elaborate.) (p)
Et Sans Resultat (NFP)
General d'Armee (I need not elaborate.)
General de Brigade (I need not elaborate.) (p)
Le Feu Sacre (NFP) (p)
Napoleon's Battles (NFP) (p)
Napoleonic Command (NFP by its own admission)
Shako 2 (NFP) (p)

(p) = I've played this.  More for my own reference.

This is going to take some doing.

You've omitted "Divisional Commander" - a miniatures rule set designed by members of my Wargames Club and available on Wargame Vault. However, since it's for miniatures, I'm not sure if it would qualify as quick-playing.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 11:06:28 AM

I ended up pulling Guthrie out last night for some research as I was doing some work on Horse & Musket. His writing is really what I wish I had for every period. The accounts of the campaigns, battles, and even minor actions are just superb. Between he, Nosworthy, Chandler and Duffy I have everything I could desire in terms of military history.

Glad you enjoyed the books.  Guthrie tried very hard to finish a third volume covering the fighting in France and Italy before cancer took him. 
I think someone finished it from his notes and incomplete first draft.  renamed it Actions of the Thirty Years War.

https://onmilitarymatters.com/pages/dfcatalog.php?period=1630

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2022, 07:40:39 PM
Big Bloody Battles
Black Powder (Y)
Blucher (Y)
Commands and Colors: Napoleonics (Y)
De Bellis Napoleonicis
Fast-Play Grande Armee (X)
Horse and Musket
Horse, Foot, and Guns
Le Petit Empereur
March Attack
Morale Napoleon
Snappy Nappy
Volley and Bayonet (X)

How is your quest for a Napoleonics AoF going, Jim? Have you played Le Petit Empereur and Morale Napoleon, yet?

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #24 on: May 27, 2022, 06:28:08 AM

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #25 on: May 27, 2022, 12:37:56 PM
The Jours de Gloire system is neat!

I am currently trying to hunt down Le Petit Empereur. Noble Knight has it and the expansion, but shipping from the US...  :-\ Given how old it is, is there a PDF around somewhere maybe?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:51:51 PM by LetsPlayHistory »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 12:51:02 PM
Can you not buy directly from the publisher?

https://www.vaevictismag.fr/en/

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #27 on: May 27, 2022, 01:10:28 PM
Oh yes, the Jours de Gloire games are no problem for me to get at all!

I was referring to the Le Petit Empereur miniature rules and expansion from Chipco.

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #28 on: May 27, 2022, 06:42:23 PM
Okay, cleared up my last messy post.

Chipco is selling PDFs via PayPal (to be found on their Facebook page, couldn't find a website).

I have ordered the 15$ pack of Le Petit Empereur, Age of Gunpowder and Chrysanthemum Throne.
Waiting for the files now. LPE should come with the expansion. :rockon:

From scrolling through the FB page, they have also kept improving the rules over the years.

Unsure whether those Noble Knight is selling are an old in print version?

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2022, 05:44:25 AM
Alright, Curtis sent them within a few hours. Time to dig in!