Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: 1860s-1890s?  (Read 20438 times)

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
on: April 28, 2019, 05:00:39 PM
I'm trying to find games/rulesets in that time frame, that feature naval warfare.

i've got a back story for a game/campaign i want to do, but finding actual rule sets that aren't age of sail or WWI-modern seems difficult, and finding good models beyond the merrimack and the monitor seems even more difficult. so far i've found a decent range on shapeway.

the campaign will also include land combat, but it seems that ACW models aren't hard to find for land forces so thats not much of a problem.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 06:46:43 PM
Cyrano will have a myriad number of answers for you on this one, but one big question will be whether you're looking for ship-to-ship battles, or fleet actions?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:49:46 PM
Cyrano will have a myriad number of answers for you on this one, but one big question will be whether you're looking for ship-to-ship battles, or fleet actions?
i'd like a rule set that easily facilitates skirmish games, as well as full squadron/fleet actions.

any where from 1 ship/boat to a dozen or more per side.

i'd like the ships  to be about the size of WH40k tanks, but it seems the best mini line i can find is a 1/600 scale and i'm not sure how big those will be.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:26:41 PM

i'd like the ships  to be about the size of WH40k tanks, but it seems the best mini line i can find is a 1/600 scale and i'm not sure how big those will be.

Well, the SMS Erzherzog Ferdinand Max, Austria's largest ship during the Battle of Lissa in 1866, was about 83 meters long, so a 1/600 version would be just under 14cm, or about 5-1/2 inches.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:54:52 PM
My goodness, there's a lot there.  Let's do this:

1:  Particular nation(s) that you want to have in?

2:  Do I hear a predilection for ACW ergo ironclads?

3.  As this is a tie-in to another game, how complicated to you want to get?

4.  And perhaps I should have started here, I'm correct that you want minis rules, yes?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:19:06 AM
My goodness, there's a lot there.  Let's do this:

1:  Particular nation(s) that you want to have in?

2:  Do I hear a predilection for ACW ergo ironclads?

3.  As this is a tie-in to another game, how complicated to you want to get?

4.  And perhaps I should have started here, I'm correct that you want minis rules, yes?
1. US, spain, really any nation.
2. so far i'm leaning that way because thats about all i'm seeing models for in that time frame, but i would prefer mid 80s-90's spanish american war era basically
3. fairly simple.
4. yes rules for minis.

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 02:24:02 AM

Well, the SMS Erzherzog Ferdinand Max, Austria's largest ship during the Battle of Lissa in 1866, was about 83 meters long, so a 1/600 version would be just under 14cm, or about 5-1/2 inches.
looking for ships that can be used for pirates and naval militias as well so not so many big ships. some sure, but i'd like to keep the focus down to steam sloop/schooner, smaller protected cruisers and river gunboats, torpedo boats, torpedo boat destroyers, etc.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 03:17:26 PM
You seem to want to stretch a good deal more broadly than the ACW -- entirely admirable, which limits my two favorites of that particular era a bit:

Hammerin Iron 2: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63557/hammerin-iron-2

and

Beer and Pretzels Ironclads:https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25536/beer-and-pretzels-ironclads-bapi

Between these, I'd probably take BAPI, but that may in part be due to having played in a game Col. Surdu ran at Historicon...YMMV...

Now, if you'll forgive what may seem heresy, I will therefore recommend:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/59096/Ironclads-And-Ether-Flyers

One must ignore the Sci-Fi for your purposes and so the lists will have to be tweaked a bit, but it's a really good set of rules for historical games of the type you imagine without taking itself too seriously and getting stuck in ephemera.  Mr. Chadwick, it must always be remembers, is always a designer of wargames first.  Besides, how can you go wrong for a $6 .pdf?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:24:08 PM
You seem to want to stretch a good deal more broadly than the ACW -- entirely admirable, which limits my two favorites of that particular era a bit:

Hammerin Iron 2: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63557/hammerin-iron-2

and

Beer and Pretzels Ironclads:https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25536/beer-and-pretzels-ironclads-bapi

Between these, I'd probably take BAPI, but that may in part be due to having played in a game Col. Surdu ran at Historicon...YMMV...

Now, if you'll forgive what may seem heresy, I will therefore recommend:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/59096/Ironclads-And-Ether-Flyers

One must ignore the Sci-Fi for your purposes and so the lists will have to be tweaked a bit, but it's a really good set of rules for historical games of the type you imagine without taking itself too seriously and getting stuck in ephemera.  Mr. Chadwick, it must always be remembers, is always a designer of wargames first.  Besides, how can you go wrong for a $6 .pdf?
ya, i prefer the spanish-american war type ships, but the back story i came up with utilizes the ACW as the catalyst for how it got to that point so we can do ACW within the story, but i personally just like the ships of the following decades a bit more. (damn those doldrums)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 07:34:05 AM
Old copies of Yaquinto's Ironclads board game are occasionally available online or places like Noble Knight Games.
My old group had a number of naval campaigns using these rules for combats.  The rules may be online as a download.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:01 PM
what about minis for ground forces? armies moved on from muzzle loaders real quick after the civil war, so i'd prefer not be stuck using only ACW minis. any good mini lines for wild/old west style and various militaries during the victorian era?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 09:30:32 PM
what about minis for ground forces? armies moved on from muzzle loaders real quick after the civil war, so i'd prefer not be stuck using only ACW minis. any good mini lines for wild/old west style and various militaries during the victorian era?

you looking for manufacturers of minis, or publishers of rules sets?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 10:02:21 PM
both.

as for minis, these look great, and i've got nothing against sprinkling some female models in, but it would be nice to have it mostly historically accurate to who'd have been fighting in the 19th century

https://hinterlandminiatures.weebly.com/store.html

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 11:39:48 PM
i found this, and like it for some of the ground units, but it seems fairly limited and not a lot of customization, but i'll probably go with these if nothing else.

https://www.1898miniaturas.com/en/

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 05:19:44 PM
for the land and brown water rules, this might sound lazy, but i'll probably just try to adapt WH40k rules using guard-i mean astra militarum...nope an old  guard codex for weapons info and what not. i'll probably remove armor saves just because no one back then wore armor.

boats will be treated like vehicles, land will be inpassable terrain, shallows might count as crossing difficult terrain.

for the blue water or green water naval battles, i'm still looking for rules.

but i'll keep posting links for interesting model lines and what not for the time period i find here if anyone else gets interested