Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on March 12, 2024, 10:47:11 PM »
551 BC   Completion of the Temple of Jerusalem after the Babylonian Captivity

1714. During the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714) the French Army annually lost about 25% of its manpower through desertion.

1798. During the Battle of the Nile a British gunner was about fire his gun when his right arm was taken off by a French cannonball, whereupon he snatched the match from the deck with his left hand, fired the gun, and then reported to sick bay.

1940. The arrest by the Crown of Sir Oswald Moseley, the head of the British Union of Fascists, was appropriately reported the next day in The Times, in the fifth column.

1944 The Allied drive across France and Belgium in the late Summer and Autumn of 1944 was accomplished through the expenditure of about 27 million gallons of gasoline each day.

1945  By the end of World War II the U.S. Army had 663 battalions of field artillery, enough for over 165 divisions, though there actually were never more than 90 divisions.
Intel Dump / Re: Tuesday Newsday! Weekly dump of wargaming news
« Last post by bayonetbrant on March 12, 2024, 04:29:24 PM »
Prayers for Dean Essig ~ #TuesdayNewsday
new releases, Moe's upcoming Eylau 1807 auction, Gamesurvey (re)launches, bunch of industry news, GAMA Expo notes, and stuff for practitioners, too!

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/tn0301224/

The Modern World / Re: Last Hundred Yards V5
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 12, 2024, 08:36:30 AM »
Yeah - I do see he has alot of second hand games
« Last post by bob48 on March 12, 2024, 07:56:30 AM »
I have done in the past, but when I asked recently, they said that they had a fair stock of pre-owned games so were not interested at present.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 12, 2024, 07:50:51 AM »
You're weclome

Whilst I have your attention - I see Second Chance Games does - second hand games! Have you ever swapped games with them? I've asked the question about how I go about exchanging/selling some games but I've had no response...I just wondered if you've ever entertained the idea?
Intel Dump / Re: Gamesurvey.org ~ 2024 Edition
« Last post by bob48 on March 12, 2024, 07:48:24 AM »
Yeah, MOT players know squat  ;D
« Last post by bob48 on March 12, 2024, 07:45:47 AM »
If you mean what I think you mean, and I know you only too well, y'daft bugger.  ;D
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 12, 2024, 04:41:53 AM »
Its certainly an interesting game, but would I buy it?

Maybe, but only if I could find a decent pre-owned copy of that...
Keep an eye out on your postal service  :hug: :hehe:
History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on March 12, 2024, 01:47:08 AM »
153 BC.   Attacking Numantia, in Spain, the Roman commander Marcus Fulvius Nobilior deployed ten elephants to literally push down the city wall, which met with initial success, until a heavy piece of masonry crashed down on one beast’s head, causing him to panic, which infected the other nine pachyderms, who promptly stampeded over the very troops whom they were supposed to be supporting.

222         Elagabalus, very strange Roman Emperor (218-222), decapitated at 19 by the Praetorians, along with his mother Julia Soaemias, c. 42

1302         Fr. Laurence marries Romeo & Juliet

1448. When the Florentines hired Leonardo da Vinci to do a mural commemorating their victory over the Pisans at Anghiari (June 29, 1440), the great artist was given a lengthy essay on the battle by his friend Niccolo Machiavelli, who, in his status as secretary of war for the republic had, not co-incidentally, signed the artist’s contract .

1759, Captain Pierre Pouchot, commanding the French post at Fort Niagara on the eastern bank of the Niagara River on Lake Ontario, first learned that the British had placed a battery nearby when a cannon ball fired by one of its pieces dropped down the chimney of his quarters, rolled across the floor of his room, and came to rest next to the bed in which he was lying.

1915 During the opening stages of the British campaign against the Turks in what is now Iraq,  during World War I, Arab irregulars were quite active in harassing the invaders, especially at night.
It was not uncommon for raiders to sneak into camps, evading sentries and making their way among sleeping soldiers, to steal whatever they could find, such as boots, rifles, and blankets, and then getting away, usually without waking anyone.  One night in January of 1915, a raider managed to make off with a yellow flag from the camp of the 2nd Battalion, the Norfolk Regiment, shortly after which a Turkish spokesman reported the capture of “an enemy flag.”
Since flags have historically been among the most treasured of war trophies, the raider was probably well-rewarded for his efforts.  Naturally, other Arabs sought to emulate his achievement.  Soon thefts of the yellow flags became rather common.  To stop them, the British set booby-traps, and several raiders were killed trying to make off with the flags.
At the time of the first theft, Captain Alfred J. Shakeshaft of the Norfolks wrote in his diary, “We wondered if this would be hung up in the military museum at Constantinople.”  One wonders even now, particularly since yellow flags were the British Army’s standard markers for latrines.
http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/capt_diary.htm

1942. Bataan: MacArthur leaves for Mindanao on a PT-Boat

1958. Mars Bluff, SC: A B-47E accidentally drops a Mk 6 30-kiloton atomic bomb

2016. Apparently, when unexploded ordnance is discovered in Germany, the Bundesrepublik pays for its removal if it is of German origins, but if it’s Allied stuff, the bill falls to the state government.
Intel Dump / Re: Gamesurvey.org ~ 2024 Edition
« Last post by bayonetbrant on March 11, 2024, 08:28:03 PM »
:bigthumb:

There's a misspelling on the third page - "I know more about my favorite game than mot players"  :groovy:

Yeah, Ian's aware of it.  Hoping to get it fixed overnight