Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56247 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #270 on: May 22, 2022, 11:01:31 PM
I enjoy and prefer to make my own terrain. However, I just do not have time to craft up some much-needed terrain for our ongoing Ultramarine and Necron war. So I picked up a couple of cheap sets of GW ruins terrains. Not trying to sound like a total fanboy but the cost was worth the time savings and it looks great. I assembled something like 9 or 10 pieces in a couple of hours. Now at some point, I just need to put the airbrush to it for a good prime and paint job. I have been experimenting with using cheap craft acrylics with the airbrush and it works well. So I plan to do the majority of the paint that way and just do a few bits and bobs with a brush to bring out some of the details. I need to pick up a pot of black or dark brown ink to make some cheap bulk wash.

I do have some MDF cut and a sheet of 1" and 2" foam to put together some hills and cliffs. I have also picked out some of my seashells to do a couple of rocky rough terrain pieces.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #271 on: July 07, 2022, 09:10:15 PM
I miss my crafting table so very much. It’s my zen spot.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #272 on: July 18, 2022, 12:02:37 AM
I am away from the workbench for a couple of months and damned ol' GW goes and messes with a hobby stable...the washes...and reformulates them and reduces the bottle size. I am going to spend the last few weeks away from the table hitting hobby shops and stocking up on the old washes. New mission: Accepted.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #273 on: July 18, 2022, 03:10:00 AM
New contrast and new washes look great

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #274 on: July 18, 2022, 08:39:29 AM
New contrast and new washes look great

Git off my lawn, youse!  ;D

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #275 on: July 18, 2022, 09:39:03 AM
I am going to spend the last few weeks away from the table hitting hobby shops and stocking up on the old washes.

If GA has any, and you want to place the order and just have me pick them up and hold them for you, I can.  Saves you on shipping if you're going to be using them for a few more weeks/months.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #276 on: July 18, 2022, 02:51:00 PM
I am going to spend the last few weeks away from the table hitting hobby shops and stocking up on the old washes.

If GA has any, and you want to place the order and just have me pick them up and hold them for you, I can.  Saves you on shipping if you're going to be using them for a few more weeks/months.

I did not see paints listed on their website.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #277 on: July 18, 2022, 02:54:35 PM
I did not see paints listed on their website.

huh, OK.  Maybe they just don't ship paints.  They have a whole wall of them.  I'll see if I can't get a picture to send over to you.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #278 on: July 19, 2022, 01:02:55 PM
Ok. I will probably try and stop by there early next week too.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #279 on: August 16, 2022, 06:55:51 PM
The painting corner in the closet is finally becoming a space suitable to resume painting. I have found a good number of the boxes packed with crafting supplies. However, I still need to locate the one that has the ACW and HYW miniatures and the Vallejo Model Color paints. The airbrush will also need to be addressed but I think there is a corner in the garage I can setup a paint station. Moving is a pain in the backside…I have my Citadel paints and some D&D miniatures on the desk to get back into painting while the search for the other models goes on.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #280 on: August 17, 2022, 12:26:57 AM
The painting table was set up this afternoon and put to use this evening. The table is not fully extended this go around but it still is ample space to paint and build models.

I picked up a new wet pallet to replace my old and...uh...slightly moldy one. This time I decided to give the Army Painter wet pallet a go. I need to do some more testing to get used to it. I found it drying out very quickly compared to my old one.  The sponge is thinner which I think is contributing. I do like its size and the brush storage could be handy. I also finally scored a directional dice at a hobby shop. :)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #281 on: August 17, 2022, 12:34:55 AM
I did find the lost box that the epic scale ACW and Perry HYW miniatures were packed into a few months ago. But before I go headlong back into the ACW project and finish up some WH40K stuff. I needed to just put paint on a miniature. Oh, boy am I rusty. I gave myself a 2-hour limit to complete the paint job. I selected a human cleric from the WIZKID D&D lineup. I used exclusively Citadel paints. Anyway. His paint job is done and all that remains is a quick basing job which I will do tomorrow. If I had spent more time thinking about it. I most likely would have made a few different color choices. I did very little in the way of highlighting the model. Mostly because my Citadel triads are limited and I was too lazy to go through the rest of the paints in boxes. He will be a perfectly serviceable miniature on game night.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #282 on: August 17, 2022, 07:52:19 AM
Nice!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #283 on: August 17, 2022, 01:07:25 PM
+1  :bigthumb:

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #284 on: August 17, 2022, 08:22:51 PM
A clean and tidy painting station, the calm before the storm.  :)