Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ultimate General: American Revolution  (Read 7238 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: November 23, 2020, 07:18:07 PM
Apparently Game Labs has been quietly working on a new title in their Ultimate General series... 

https://www.ug1775.com/

American Revolution is a sandbox strategy game featuring the epic historical period during the rebellion of the American colonies against the British Empire. Take on the role of the British or American Colonists, and fight for territorial control over North America. A gripping real-time campaign awaits you on a detailed 3d map where you can build your army and navy, construct military infrastructure, and fully command your armies on a regimental level. If you want even more action you can fully zoom-in and fight massive battles on a battalion level.

MASSIVE BATTLES

If you choose to fight battles with full tactical control, the regiments become divided into smaller battalions allowing you the command of hundreds of units in real-time, creating a dazzling and realistic combat experience of the historical period. Troops are positioned in a landscape according to the placement they had on the map at the given time. Some will engage the enemy immediately, others can be re-positioned in deployment zones, while those which were further away may join later as reinforcements.

DELAYED REPORTING

Realistic reconnaissance is simulated, making messages the basis of military intelligence and battle maneuvering. Messages can be delayed or be intercepted by the enemy, resulting in your orders not reaching your troops in time or rendering communication with your distant territories impossible.

Not gonna lie, this one has me more interested than previous entries in the franchise.  While I've always liked the look of the battles, the games' more linear campaigns were admittedly something of a turn-off.  If American Revolution does contain a true sandbox-style campaign, however, then this will almost certainly become a must-buy for me.  :nerd: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:36:29 PM
We'll see. I'm dreaming of a Swamp Fox Campaign.  :dreamer: 

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:57:28 PM
We'll see. I'm dreaming of a Swamp Fox Campaign.  :dreamer:

:o

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:53:00 PM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:39:05 PM
Francis Marion was certainly the most under rated and arguably the best commander on either side in the war. A Swamp Fox Campaign would be great, a great mix of Regular and Militia as well as Irregular troops for both sides. Lots of places to hide, lots of places to maneuver, strategic river crossings to hold or lose. It Shirley would be a good one.  :hehe:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 04:54:12 AM
Agreed, that would be a fun campaign.  It don't know how well (or if) UG:AR will be able to recreate that, although this bit gives me some hope: 

Terrain matters

Hills will allow you to see enemy units earlier and shoot them down more efficiently. Rivers and bridges are natural obstacles that will present serious defensive advantages. Forests will help you hide your movements and flank the enemy. Trenches, roads, fences, houses, fields – every inch of ground matters. Use it well in order to achieve victory.

Fingers crossed! 

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 11:42:27 PM
That would be great.  :applause:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:49:22 AM
Hmmm.
Wonder if this would have Nathaniel Greene's campaign versus Cornwallis?
That would be hard to simulate, but would be totally unique.
That would include Cowpens, Guilford Court House and lots of maneuver

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 10:10:36 AM
Francis Marion was certainly the most under rated and arguably the best commander on either side in the war. A Swamp Fox Campaign would be great, a great mix of Regular and Militia as well as Irregular troops for both sides. Lots of places to hide, lots of places to maneuver, strategic river crossings to hold or lose. It Shirley would be a good one.  :hehe:

that was the home turf for my old National Guard unit back in SC

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 05:42:22 PM
Hmmm.
Wonder if this would have Nathaniel Greene's campaign versus Cornwallis?
That would be hard to simulate, but would be totally unique.
That would include Cowpens, Guilford Court House and lots of maneuver

If I'm understanding the dev's intentions correctly, the game's sandbox gameplay precludes a specific Southern campaign per se (and in any other theater, for that matter).  That's not to say that the British AI won't follow historical precedent and invade the South at some point, however, thus recreating a similar scenario. 

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 08:52:26 AM
Avalon Hill had a boardgame on the american revolution (1776?)
There were a lot of "perfect" strategies.
One of the best for the british player was an early southern strategy.
The colonials got more troops if the british forces were in particular regions.
Due to the thin population in the South, the colonials received very little.  The Brits could rather easily control this big region, giving them political points which made French involvement less likely.
Also the Brits put a large force in Canada, busy building bateaux for great riverine mobility.
This made it very difficult for the rebels when the Brits did strike.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:07 AM
Avalon Hill had a boardgame on the american revolution (1776?)
There were a lot of "perfect" strategies.
One of the best for the british player was an early southern strategy.
The colonials got more troops if the british forces were in particular regions.
Due to the thin population in the South, the colonials received very little.  The Brits could rather easily control this big region, giving them political points which made French involvement less likely.
Also the Brits put a large force in Canada, busy building bateaux for great riverine mobility.
This made it very difficult for the rebels when the Brits did strike.

It's not like that doesn't sound historically implausible

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 10:50:54 AM
I played that game. I never came close to winning as either side as I recall.  :'(

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 12:14:06 PM
I played that game. I never came close to winning as either side as I recall.  :'(

Especially when playing solo, huh?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 11:25:17 PM
True. It's bad when you can't even beat yourself. Even when you cheat.  :doh: