Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Role Playing rewards  (Read 2906 times)

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
on: December 22, 2020, 12:55:05 AM
Just had a thought. At the DMs discretion, and with a little work between the DM and the player, you can give out, 'improvement points'.  Gain enough IP and you can cash them in for something you have been working on: a more powerful version of a favorite spell, proficiency in a style of fighting you don't possess, bump an ability score, use your imagination, just making it something the PC states as a goal and fits into role playing.  Like always poring over books at the camp fire doing research, or stopping at each Fighter's Guild hall and sparring someone with the style you are trying to learn, and so on.

I get that the rules give you a boatload of freebies already, especially as you progress through your Class.  And theoretically you could already role play the freebies you get so they feel that sense of accomplishment, but, how many PCs do so?  If you tell someone they are accumulating points towards a goal if they behave in this way, such as killing monsters for XP, then, they might be more willing to go along and be better role players.  Plus, depending on how you set up the IP progression, and how willing you are to bend the rules, think of the characters your players create?!

Points can be of any denomination, but, I think one at a time is best.  It's a stark contrast to the 1000s of XP you need to get to another level or the dozens of points of damage you can do at a time.  One at a time makes them precious and valuable to earn.  You can set an arbitrary number for achievement, once you and the player discuss it ahead of time.  Or you can make it linear: this many IP unlocks this, this many more unlocks this further, and so on.  You could even have them working on multiple things at a time, making those IP even more precious.

And if you are willing to bend the rules some, you can make the Classes more a menu of choices rather than straight archetypes.  Say you want a sword wielding, spell shooting, pick pocket.  Select the abilities from each Class you want to incorporate into your character and work out an IP plan to get there.  Just a thought.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 08:31:15 AM
I believe the earlier edition of Savage Worlds would let you do that with 'Bennies' but it was removed from the later editions. If you are looking to speed up advancement I think it could work.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:44:19 AM
That's what WHFRP does, as well as a lot of sci-fi games, where 'classes' are a more general sort of thing.

The World of Esæne and Better Games' FSRP both use 'achievements' to move up level-by-level, with varying improvements available to the character as they advance (HP, ability scores, skills, etc)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love