Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 220919 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1185 on: March 31, 2023, 01:20:51 PM
I'd bought so much crap over the last few years, mostly as a means of coping, and never did anything with any of it. Merely the act of buying a game had a certain amount of catharsis to it, but in and of itself, it only added to the misery.

Yet, there's a few things I've had a lot of fun with. Most recently, I went ahead and splurged on the Spacer's Choice edition of Outer Worlds. I had bought OW last year along with its two DLCs, and played it through in about a month's time. I had a fantastic time with it and loved the game. This version is updated graphics and whatnot, plus was only about $10 for anyone that owned OW already, so...I went for it. I'm now about halfway through another playthrough and will probably get to get into it more this weekend.

On another front, I'd ordered and received the miniatures for Victoria Cross II. The miniatures are actually more like standees, but I knew that going into it. The really cool part of this set is the 3D terrain of the Rorke's Drift encampment - buildings, walls, sandbags, and so on. The big boner with this set is, there's NO INSTRUCTIONS. I went onto BGG and saw a number of people complaining about that. It's just an omission that makes absolutely zero sense, especially considering the cost of the bloody set. Still, it's not brain surgery to figure out. Some of the pieces are pretty fragile and require some TLC to get out. Yet, it's still impressive. I can't wait to get it to the table and see how it all looks.

I also have Master of Magic but have been, like Bob, disappointed in several aspects of it. Even the original version hasn't done much for me. I think it's a lens of nostalgia I've been seeing this through, and it's just disappointing in general.

I've of course got way too many board games too; I've spent time culling yet gaining over the last few years and am finally at a point where I'm culling more than gaining. I still have some outstanding Kickstarter orders, but it'll be a while before they start arriving. A lot of purchases lately have been big, multiple-item sets, such as Frost Punk all in, Skyrim all in, and many others. Too many choices = analysis paralysis, lol.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1186 on: March 31, 2023, 01:28:35 PM
Just dropped a crap ton of money to pick up a copy of Combat! 2nd printing. So of course it arrived while my wife was home and it was her that answered the door for the delivery guy.  :doh:

Anyway it's on the table now and what a blast to play. Simple concepts and rules that mesh to give a really good game.
1" counters sure are nice. And the new amp art looks great too.  :bigthumb:

It'll be on the table for a bit, while I save up enough to get Combat! Vol. 2. The campaign system is supposed to add a whole other level to the game play. :dreamer:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1187 on: March 31, 2023, 01:41:57 PM
I have Combat! but the first version. I won't get rid of it as I paid a pretty penny for it, though I've yet to play it.

I also slowly over the last couple of years got my hands on Ambush, all three expansion modules, and even Battle Hymn and it's one expansion. Those are of course much the same vein. Glad to hear Combat Vol. 2 is a good one. I am still going to just hold onto this first version for now, I think.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1188 on: March 31, 2023, 01:55:30 PM
Vol. 2 adds a campaign system and vehicles.
What I have is the 2nd Printing of Vol. 1.

Yer 1st printing is perfectly playable as long as you get the newer rule and scenario errata.

Combat! is turning out to be a lot easier/faster playing than Ambush! ever was.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1189 on: March 31, 2023, 02:33:56 PM
Yeah, it's funny...when I played Ambush back in the 80s, when I first bought it, I just ignored most of the initiative system as it was, I felt, far too complex. I just did a turn system where I rolled initiative unless a game paragraph specifically instructed to go into Rounds with one side or the other having initiative. That was probably half the rule book I ignored, LOL. I had a lot of fun with it. I was determined this time around, though, to read through it and give it a proper play.

I wish I could play everything in date order, but the missions in the core box and the ones in the expansions are all over the place. I've read about people playing them in order but there's a lot of early war missions in the expansions that are brutal and impossible for a newbie squad to succeed with.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1190 on: March 31, 2023, 02:44:17 PM
Just dropped a crap ton of money to pick up a copy of Combat! 2nd printing. So of course it arrived while my wife was home and it was her that answered the door for the delivery guy.  :doh:

;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1191 on: March 31, 2023, 03:12:12 PM
So of course it arrived while my wife was home and it was her that answered the door for the delivery guy.  :doh:

you've described the start of about 20% of 'those' movies....   :whistle:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1192 on: March 31, 2023, 05:06:30 PM
I’m hoping to sink a decent amount of time into workers and resources and ck3 - it would be nice not to spend waking hours and sleeping hours thinking if either - it’s been nothing but rail tracks all week

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #1193 on: April 07, 2023, 01:01:36 PM
I have to work most of the long weekend but I've got a game of Heroes of Normandie: Battle for Caen scheduled on Monday.  Some plucky Canucks from the Regiment de la Chaudiere and Royal Winnipeg Rifles will try to wrest control of Capriquet airfield away from the dastardly 12. SS Panzer Div supported by Luftwaffe troops from the 16. Luftlande Infanterie-Division.

Should be fun.  I'm still grappling with all the special rules and all the iconography on the chits and the map terrain features.  There is a hell of a lot of it.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1194 on: April 08, 2023, 06:22:40 AM
I work this weekend as well (all the way through next Wednesday, in fact), so not much time for gaming. 

That being said, I'll probably play at least a little Star Wars: Rogue Squadron when I can -- my GOG version hasn't worked in years, but I picked up a Steam copy for only a couple dollars.  I'm also feeling the Total War itch, and am trying to decide between Rome II (DEI mod), Thrones of Britannia, and *sigh* Three Kingdoms

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1195 on: April 08, 2023, 07:38:51 AM
There will be workers and resources - damn thing has taken over my life - sitting contemplating expansion during work breaks, play it, dream about it

I can’t explain what it is but I’m having a great time getting all the little pixel workers to work, organising train time tables, bus schedules, who goes where and keeping the little fellas happy and fed and educated

Industry so far is coal, bricks, vodka, food, meat - the goal been to become self sufficient in all building materials so it doesn’t cost anything to expand so need steel cement gravel bauxite bricks stone blah blah the list is endless

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1196 on: April 08, 2023, 02:14:53 PM
Bauxite vodka can't be far behind.

Always do what you feel is best.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1197 on: April 08, 2023, 03:27:29 PM
Definitely - puts hairs on your chest

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #1198 on: April 08, 2023, 03:40:32 PM
My wife and I just completed our campaign of Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We have also really got into the new Star Wars: The Deckbuilder, so we played a couple of games of it yesterday.

I am going to play some Aegean Strike now.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1199 on: April 08, 2023, 07:27:22 PM
My all-in for After the Empire, with the solo mode as well, arrived yesterday. Today, my P500 reprint copy of Atlantic Chase is out for delivery from GMT.