Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Galactic Ruler  (Read 6565 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 05:18:03 AM
So who's going to take one for the team come August 22?

If they're smart, no one. 

Don't get me wrong -- I'm very much still interested in this one.  However, the fact remains that the Supreme Ruler games have long been known for being complex, micromanagement-heavy beasts that aren't always patched up to a decent state before the devs move onto their next project.  I don't plan on touching this one with a 10-foot/3-meter pole until well after release, and quite frankly, neither should anyone else.  :nope: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2022, 01:07:33 AM
Release on the 3rd say the devs on the you tubes

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 05:26:25 AM
The game has officially launched -- training wheels off.  It's also 25% off this next week:   

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138440/Galactic_Ruler/

Reviews from the Early-Access period are solidly mixed, though I find I'm deep skeptical of pretty much all of them -- they seem to be mostly split between fanboys, and haters/"fanboys" who are upset this isn't a new Supreme Ruler title.  Definitely going to wait on this one, even though I like a majority of what I'm seeing. 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 07:30:30 AM
That's exactly the impression I got Martok. Most of the reviews on Steam seem to be comparing it to the other games in the series.

I will watch some in depth reviews/walkthroughs on the Youtubes before reaching a decision, but it will be nice to have a new space strategy while I wait for Distant Worlds 2 to be fixed.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 01:58:48 PM
I'd really like to have a crack at this, especially since I need some space 4X hotness in my life to fill the DW2 void, but threads like this one on Steam aren't exactly encouraging. Sounds like Galactic Ruler needs some more time to bake as well. :/

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 03:22:02 PM
I see your Galactic Ruler and raise you a Cosmic Ruler!

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 03:35:09 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing lots of bugs and gameplay issues being reported in both the forums and on Discord right now.  I suppose that's normal to a fair extent -- it is still a "new" release, after all -- but normal or not, it doesn't make me inclined to pick up the game anytime soon. 

I feel like Galactic Ruler will be an "eventually" purchase, but definitely not at the moment. 

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 04:10:52 PM
Based on my research and the absolute lack of "Let's Plays" within the past week I'm staying away from this game.  Even if it drops to 2 dollars I won't buy it. 

There are a lot of really intriguing options coming down the pike for space games.  Will hold out for them.

Peace

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 04:53:55 AM
Progress update from the devs: 

Economy is getting rebalanced, modding toolkit will be ported over from the previous SR games (on top of the Steam Workshop support), and more. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 06:21:05 AM
Major update has dropped: 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1138440/announcements/detail/3317486166913044019

I really wish Battlegoat did demos, so that I could get a better read on this game:  Steam scores stubbornly remain around just 50%, but most reviews appear to be from during the Early-Access period still.  Yet at the same time, it doesn't appear that a lot of folks are playing Galactic Ruler -- at least on Steam (can you even the purchase the game elsewhere? it's not clear) -- so even just one good or bad review can really skew the numbers.  There are very few LP's on Youtube (other than those put up by the devs), and the ones I've seen aren't helpful -- the Youtuber either doesn't speak much, and/or they clearly already know the game pretty well, so don't bother spending much effort trying to explain features & mechanics. 

I suppose the very lack of LP's and new reviews could -- and probably should -- be taken as a sign, but I really want to like this game, dang it.  (Also, Rob from Explorminate dislikes Galactic Ruler, which means odds are fairly good I'd enjoy it. ;D

Ah, well.  I suppose I'll simply continue my strategy of holding off and waiting for a steep sale...