Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Alliance of the Sacred Suns  (Read 8361 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 05:57:48 PM
I'm quite tempted by 'Solasta: Crown of the Magister' and 50% off on Steam atm.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 06:09:24 PM
I was more than tempted.  :-[

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 06:25:32 PM
I'm quite tempted by 'Solasta: Crown of the Magister' and 50% off on Steam atm.

I'd say grab it if you derive any enjoyment from party based PRGs and turn based tactical combat.  I enjoyed it quite a bit (even the voice acting was sometimes so-bad-it's-good).

I would say grab it from Steam over GOG if you have any interest in downloading user-made campaigns.  The game comes with a dungeon editor and users have been uploading their creations.  You can d/l them for the GOG version as well but it's easier with Steam.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 07:19:31 AM
Terra invicta a game high on my want list is delayed til spring next year ☹️

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 11:39:25 PM
Yep, saw that.  It looks like most of the games being published by Hooded Horse have been pushed back to/are being released sometime in Q2 2022 in general. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 06:28:06 PM
I think this was pretty much an open secret already, but it's now official that Alliance of the Sacred Suns is being pushed back to next year: 

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/ALLIANCE-OF-THE-SACRED-SUNS-DELAYED-TO-2022

Interesting to note that the delay was at the request of the developer, KatHawk Studios, primarily for the reason that they want to do an open play-test first (sign up here) in January before launching the game later on in Q1 2022.  Given that, even when the game *does* release, it will be doing so into Early-Access, I'm admittedly a little puzzled over why they're bothering with a play-test first. 

...Which doesn't mean that I won't still sign up for the play-test anyway (naturally).  ::)  Lord, I'm a sucker for punishment.  (Or maybe just a sucker...) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2021, 06:54:04 PM
Lead developer Steve Hawkins also published a dev blog today.  It gives more details on the reasons for the release delay, progress so far, and what they're working on as they prepare for launching the game into EA next year: 

https://allianceofthesacredsuns.com/whats-next-for-alliance-as-we-hit-the-homestretch-of-development/

Currently, there are two major features they're working on implementing:  One is the Emperor system (or rather, a (finally) fleshed-out version of it), where you as the Emperor/Empress must learn to manage your limited time (represented by Action Points) between taking care of the Empire, your relationships, and yourself.  Focusing on the first 2 factors at the expense of the 3rd comes at a price, as doing so will shorten your lifespan -- the game ends when you die, so it's something you have to keep in mind. 

The other major feature being added before the play-test and Early-Access launch is the Oratory Kombat system -- yes, really.  :P 

In earlier versions of the game, when you asked a character for help and/or to change their mind about something, and they told you to piss up a rope in response, that was it; you couldn't do anything about it.  With the new OK system, however, you *can*. 

It sounds like these, ah, debate battles shouldn't take more than a few minutes to play out, and are entirely optional in any case.  But I love that that they're in the game; I think it's a very cool idea. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2022, 11:49:40 PM
Rob posted a podcast interview with Steve yesterday, discussing the game's themes, and how much it's progressed since publisher Hooded Horse picked it up.  It's not often you hear a developer gush about how great their publisher is, but Steve does pretty much exactly that whenever he talks about Hooded Horse.  (And not just in the podcast -- he's had very positive things to say about them elsewhere as well.) 

One thing for sure worth noting is that AotSS is getting a tutorial campaign.  Given how the game is essentially trying to combine genres (4x/grand-strategy and RPG), plus all the difference mechanics & features involved, this can only be a good thing. 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #23 on: March 04, 2022, 06:08:46 AM
I'm pretty hyped for this, the videos I've seen look amazing. Any more news on when it's coming out? They might still make "Q1 2022" but Distant Worlds 2 releases in six days so at this point I might welcome another delay. :D

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2022, 07:14:51 PM
Honestly, I wonder if AotSS won't, in fact, be delayed to Q2 at this point. 

A number of other games being published by Hooded Horse are slated to be released during that period already: Falling Frontier, Old World on Steam/GOG, etc.  Besides which, you would think that if the game was still going to be coming out this month, that they would have announced an official release date by now. 

Like you, though, I won't be sad if AotSS is delayed.  I expect that DW2 will be keeping me busy for a good while, starting next week.  ;) 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #25 on: March 04, 2022, 07:45:11 PM
I expect that DW2 will be keeping me busy for a good while, starting next week.  ;)

Same, buddy. Although for me it releases a day before I go away for a long weekend, so I will have to wait a few more days. It will be agony!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #26 on: March 04, 2022, 08:07:05 PM
Hey, at least you know you'll have something to look forward to when you return.  :D 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2022, 04:52:26 PM
Honestly, I wonder if AotSS won't, in fact, be delayed to Q2 at this point. 

Well would you look at that... 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1113400?emclan=103582791464890585&emgid=3124941429725519133

I'm certainly not giving myself any points for calling this one; it was easy enough to predict.  It looks like a final playtest/demo will be available to everyone sometime in April, which suggests a May release. 

I definitely think this is the right call, especially in light of DW2's launch issues.  My main concern at this point is how Hooded Horse is going to handle the release of so many games in a single quarter (assuming no further delays, of course); hopefully it doesn't cause AotSS to get short shrift in terms of support on the back end, come release-time. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2022, 05:37:47 AM
Major news/update! 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1113400/view/3321980888430689401

The highlights: 

1.)  Core game is now complete, though much work remains. 

2.)  Beta-testing is soon to begin.  First round will consist of only 100 players.  Sign-up "sheet" is [ur=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfl3Pjxq2cslzjCh84g-B2f5xjE__AZubAAJ12hIuOMiKqkUw/viewforml]here[/url]. 

3.)  The game is clearly not coming out anytime soon, though the lead developer states they "fully expect to release Alliance in 2022."  (I definitely called that putt wrong... :doh:) ) 

4.)  Whenever the game *does* come out, it will be as a full release.  There will be no Early Access period for AotSS. 

5.)  We get new screenshots and explanations of how several of the game's systems have been implemented and/or refined. 

Overall, Alliance is looking significantly better than it did even just a year ago.  Of all features & mechanics, however, I'm especially excited for the various "Emperor Systems".  The devs are clearly intending to emphasize the game's RPG aspects as much as the 4x/grand-strategy side, and I am definitely here for that.  :D 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 09:30:24 AM
4.)  Whenever the game *does* come out, it will be as a full release.  There will be no Early Access period for AotSS. 

Thank christ for that. I'm so sick of early access.