Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Post your screenshots! Share your game stories!  (Read 53856 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: December 04, 2020, 05:00:45 AM
Posting shots from my current Stellaris campaign.  Because...well, I feel like it. 

An enemy paid one of the marauder clans to attack the Yv'Zorak Confederation (me).  The marauders then offered to call off their attack in exchange for me "contributing" a generous "donation".  However, I told them to stick it.  Thus commenced the Battle of Pharrim V... 

Both fleets consisted largely of corvettes & destroyers (raiders & frigates for the marauders), so the battle quickly devolved into a general scrum.  The ships with purple contrails and firing (mostly) blue lasers are mine; those with yellow contrails and shooting auto-cannons (the yellow-ish staccato fire) are the marauders. 

A closer view.  Things are heating up now:  In the left foreground, an enemy frigate's shields partially absorb a concentrated barrage from multiple Yv'Zorak warships.  In the middle foreground, one of my corvettes recklessly charges headlong through the middle of the battlefield, closing on its next target.  In the right foreground, an enemy raider dies, its back broken by withering Yv'Zorak laser fire. 

A partially zoomed-in shot of the ISS Shieldmaiden, one of the only cruisers in my fleet.  She's one of several unique ships you can discover/acquire as a result of anomalies and/or events, and is usually more advanced than anything in your navy at the time.  She initially started the battle in more of a standoff position, but is now moving in closer to take the fight to the enemy. 

The cruiser ISS Lightsaber in action.  She's the newest, most powerful vessel in my navy; and like the Shieldmaiden, a unique ship you can only get from anomalies/events.  This was the first time I've ever encountered her in Stellaris, which is pretty amazing when you consider how many hours I've put into this game the last 3-4 years. 

Victory!!  That'll show those tossers. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:46:48 PM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 06:47:25 AM
Did we come this far without a screenshot thread?!

Awesome shots by the way - it has been years since I played - the last time I did I had missive cruisers who would stand back and bombard the enemy and I had carriers loaded with bombers that would move in for close range attacks - I used to love watching the battles

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:07:09 AM
Your screenshots: MacOS Catalina
My screenshots: DOS 3.1

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 06:25:16 PM
Did we come this far without a screenshot thread?!

Awesome shots by the way - it has been years since I played - the last time I did I had missive cruisers who would stand back and bombard the enemy and I had carriers loaded with bombers that would move in for close range attacks - I used to love watching the battles

Thanks, 'geek!  Yeah, I love the battles in Stellaris as well.  They're aesthetically pleasing, plus I like the level of control you have -- there's enough player agency, but you're not micromanaging your ships either. 

Your screenshots: MacOS Catalina
My screenshots: DOS 3.1

It's all good!  Part of the reason I started this thread was so that we could all share stories about our games.  :2thumbs: 

Which one is this, by the way?  It looks like there's some fighting around a village or outpost(?). 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 06:28:53 PM
I just wish you could have come up with a more interesting thread title and thread icon.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 06:47:54 PM
Is that better, Ed?  ::) 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 06:50:46 PM

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 06:51:48 PM
Ok, I'll start off the list of possibilities and pray others will chime in:

1. Screenshots of Awesomeness!

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 07:13:33 PM
When did BBMike become Mrs Dragoon.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 07:14:38 PM
Martok, those are great. I love watching battles in Stellaris

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 08:26:35 PM

???

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 08:27:35 PM
It's all good!  Part of the reason I started this thread was so that we could all share stories about our games.  :2thumbs: 

Which one is this, by the way?  It looks like there's some fighting around a village or outpost(?).

That was my most recent game of ASL.  The scenario had the Russians counterattacking the Germans in a village outside Moscow in February 1942.  To win, the Russians had to take two of the two-hex buildings in the center.  The Russians had a strong force of stout elite units and partisans, but not many support weapons.  The Germans had a moderate force, but had to defend along the entire top and right edge, so they were initially spread pretty thin.  Snow on the ground slowed movement. 

The Russians put pressure on the Germans on the right, top, and left, and turn-by-turn collapsed the defense.  I was playing the Germans, and with a half turn to go, I thought I was sitting pretty with two medium machine guns, two squads, and a leader defending the top victory building, and a couple of squads, a light machine gun, and a leader defending the lower building.  I also had the 20L flak gun out front, and a 1st line squad on the left.  That should have been impregnable, especially with those MMGs, but the dice were not my side and those stupid machine guns shot nerf and the defenders wet their pants instead of doing what they were paid to do: kill the commie bastards.  The 20L crew and the squad on the left had too much schnapps and also managed to avoid actually hitting anything.  Despite this disappointing display of defiant defense, the tattered remnants of a squad managed to hold on to one hex in the lower building, and another squad in the upper building was locked in melee, preventing the Russians from controlling that building.  No Iron Crosses were awarded, but nonetheless, it was a win for the Germans.

Here is a representative picture of the German 20L gun in the center of the map.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:51 PM

I thought it was more like that kid that never moves out of the house after college. After all, he has his own room in the basement around here. And if you listen real close you can hear him yelling up to Brant that he is out of Mt. Dew and Cheetos  :2funny:

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 09:22:04 PM

I thought it was more like that kid that never moves out of the house after college. After all, he has his own room in the basement around here. And if you listen real close you can hear him yelling up to Brant that he is out of Mt. Dew and Cheetos  :2funny:

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 09:22:39 PM
 ???
WTF? Maybe it's time I thought about moving on from here.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy