Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56246 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #300 on: September 30, 2022, 06:47:18 PM
Perfect way to get out of it

I myself packed everything up and vowed I was done after painting 60 Zulu warriors for a customer - it was relentless - nothing compared to the guys that paint 200 skaven or 300 goblins but that’s for themselves - when it’s for someone else it was hard going!

Same guy has returned to burrows and badgers and the figures are crafted so beautifully, individual and full of character and there’s 10 per batch - never will paint a hoarde again

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #301 on: September 30, 2022, 06:47:42 PM
Leading my merry band of followers downstairs, we occupied (by force) the dining room table and began to assemble some models. And so we set about building a few soldiers and a tank. I am pretty sure with about 14.56% certainty the wife was not too upset. Sure we may have added a few scrapes and dings to the tabletop cutting plastic and a piece or two of sprue shaving may or may not have been glued to the table as a result of our efforts. But who can really say? I mean surely someone else could have built models at the table too, right?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #302 on: September 30, 2022, 06:53:46 PM
Overall the dudes did great. They both cut and assembled a good 70-80% of the models. I did do the smaller bits and helped align the arms on the machine gun team.

I really do owe a debt of gratitude to the organizers of Southern Front for the prizes and the boys winning some models. They turned out to be a great prize and opportunity to get these young gamers excited to build and play. Now I need to break out the airbrush to prime and paint.

Infantry units and a machine gun team.

The Tiger which my son has been so excited to build. He loves tanks.

It was a great day to be a dad for sure.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #303 on: September 30, 2022, 06:57:38 PM
Perfect way to get out of it

I myself packed everything up and vowed I was done after painting 60 Zulu warriors for a customer - it was relentless - nothing compared to the guys that paint 200 skaven or 300 goblins but that’s for themselves - when it’s for someone else it was hard going!

Same guy has returned to burrows and badgers and the figures are crafted so beautifully, individual and full of character and there’s 10 per batch - never will paint a hoarde again

Horde building and painting is tedious for sure. Ironically, you can see a group of 10 Zulus behind the Tiger in one of the photos. It was another prize the boys won at the convention.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #304 on: September 30, 2022, 07:42:36 PM
You're going to bring them back for the next TSS game day, right?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #305 on: September 30, 2022, 07:59:04 PM
You're going to bring them back for the next TSS game day, right?

I would love too. Need to shoot you a message later to get the dates and times to see if I can make it work out.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #306 on: September 30, 2022, 09:04:08 PM
Awesome to get to do that with the kids. They did a great job assembling!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #307 on: October 01, 2022, 12:41:28 AM
I painted a couple of models for a Fistful of Lead warband. Rummaging through the box o' plastic I found these Wizkids pirate models. I need to do some more digging in the box to see if I have any more pirates or something with a sea feel. Anyway, it was a good productive hobby day.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #308 on: October 01, 2022, 12:45:16 AM

Kids are pretty amazing if you give them a chance to do things on their own with a little supervision and help when necessary. And in the end, it's the only way anyone learns is to actually do it.

I am a huge advocate of getting kids into gaming and specifically miniatures wargaming. Maybe they end up not liking it but from my experience, most do like it. They just have to be allowed to touch things and probably break them. It's a piece of plastic not the end of the world if a spear or gun breaks off.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #309 on: October 01, 2022, 04:20:31 AM
That’s a pretty good prize haul

Did you play bolt action already?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #310 on: October 01, 2022, 07:31:00 AM
I have played Bolt Action but I don’t own any figures or rulebooks. It’s been a consideration for sure for a future project.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #311 on: October 01, 2022, 08:14:16 AM
Are you using home rules for the figs or just painting and collecting

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #312 on: October 01, 2022, 08:48:43 AM
Are you using home rules for the figs or just painting and collecting

Fistful of Lead. It’s a quick, rules light skirmish game with 5-8 figures a side. The base game plays generically across multiple historic eras but has expansions and rule sets for nearly any setting. The core rules are mostly the same across genres and the traits and the like can be mixed between rulebooks as desired.

It’s worth a look especially if you have an eclectic collection or do not want to build and paint huge armies. I have played my medieval figs as I build out my Lions Rampant armies. So it’s a nice way to play as you build. It does have rules for larger unit battles called Big Battles. It’s a lot of fun. It’s available on wargame vault or print. I have a number of rules in pdf but it drives me crazy. So we play the base, fantasy, and wasteland warriors rules now. I plan on getting the sci-fi and horse and musket rules eventually.

https://wiley-games.myshopify.com/

Paper rules available in the UK here: https://oshiromodels.wixsite.com/oshiromodelswebshop/rules

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #313 on: October 01, 2022, 11:13:00 AM

Kids are pretty amazing if you give them a chance to do things on their own with a little supervision and help when necessary. And in the end, it's the only way anyone learns is to actually do it.

I am a huge advocate of getting kids into gaming and specifically miniatures wargaming. Maybe they end up not liking it but from my experience, most do like it. They just have to be allowed to touch things and probably break them. It's a piece of plastic not the end of the world if a spear or gun breaks off.

Thats some good advice I needed to hear. My son out of no where the other day mentioned painted miniatures I have out on display and he wants to do that. Now I need to dust off my hobby stuff and find some figs for him and me to learn on but most of all give up control over it going perfectly  :)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #314 on: October 01, 2022, 11:37:42 AM
Thats some good advice I needed to hear. My son out of no where the other day mentioned painted miniatures I have out on display and he wants to do that. Now I need to dust off my hobby stuff and find some figs for him and me to learn on but most of all give up control over it going perfectly  :)

Indeed, brother. Just let him paint and try to remember the most important part you already know. His vision of awesome will definitely be different than yours. Let go and let the paint flow! Find some cheap minis or even just the green army-like guys and let him paint them if needed. It'll pay off in the end with a gaming partner for life. Also, I am serious check out Fistful of Lead core rules to play lightly structured games. Trust me he'll pick it up fast will a little bit of help. Check out my AAR I will post later on today. You can even do it with whatever you have painted now and some random objects around the house for terrain pieces.