Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 3807 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: June 12, 2022, 07:18:13 PM
Anyone else have The Outer Worlds, on Steam?

I've been having a lot of fun with it over the last many weeks. I read the reviews first and saw some people complaining that it's linear, but it's not entirely so. There's lots of sidequests and companion quests you can go on besides the main questline. I'm at almost 20 hours and don't think I'm anywhere close to the end of the game, yet. So, it's well worth the price if you're into sci-fi RPG-type FPS games, with a decidedly Firefly feel to it (insofar as a 'frontier' feel to the sci-fi).

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 08:58:39 AM
It looks interesting and it's on my wish list. Maybe discounted when the Summer Sale starts?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 12:13:44 PM
Maybe discounted when the Summer Sale starts?

Count on it. It goes on sale all the time anyway, and the Steam summer sale starts soon.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 04:49:43 PM
I grabbed it for about $20 in the last sale, so I've gotten my money's worth I think.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 05:57:37 PM
I've just finished it. Man, what a hell of a game. So rich and entertaining - Bethesda really knocked it out of the park.

I looked up Outer Worlds 2, which has been in development since 2019. Apparently the trailer is all we have, but the trailer is pretty much :2funny:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 05:09:49 AM
If nothing else, you have to appreciate their sense of humor (and marketing savvy).  :hehe:   

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 06:02:04 AM
I've been on the fence for this for some time. Thanks for the push BC  :hug: :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 09:42:17 AM
I cannot recommend it enough.

In this day and age, it's really rare for ANY game to hold my attention for too long, but this - this, I kept coming back to. I played it for 44.2 hours total, so that's a good amount of time for the price tag.

If you do it, JD, I highly recommend too you get the two DLCs - Peril on Gorgon and Murder on Eridanos. They both add major story plots, even though they're not entirely tied to the main quest. But, they're both just as enjoyable.

If you love doing side quests and companion quests, you'll get a lot of fun out of this one. I found myself clearing each and every one even though sometimes I lose patience with such things. Not here.

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 10:07:20 AM
I did get it. Do I need the DLC for playing or are they just tag ons that I can load after completing the main game?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 01:57:33 PM
It's up to you. They're not really tied to the main questline, other than being a rich source for new weapons and stuff, of course.

I finished both of them before I finished the main questline.

Another point in favor, each DLC I think adds +3 levels. The level cap is normally 30, but with both of these, it jumps to 36.

I'd leveled out at 36 while finishing Peril on Gorgon, the second one, and I'd cleared out all the main and side quests, so I went right to the finale after that.