Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Sniper Elite 5  (Read 4461 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: July 11, 2022, 10:04:50 AM
Is there anyone able to talk me out of it?

Watching a guy on YouTube and it looks the perfect antidote to a shit night at work and just 30 - 60 mins of gaming instead of my usual 4 hour chunks at 4x

My first foray into PC wargaming was a lan set up of medal of honour and a couple of friends playing snipers and we played for hours and hours and hours

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 11:56:38 AM
I'm certainly not going to talk you out of it. Sounds like just what you need right now really. I remember not bothering with shooters for many years, and then when I finally grabbed some kind of FPS bundle I was like a kid in a toy shop for weeks.

In fact, I have Sniper Ghost Warrior Contacts in my library practically unused, and you've inspired me to install it. :)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 04:30:51 PM
Have you played the earlier titles?  If not, I'd say grab 3 or 4.  I haven't played 5 yet but chatter on forums seems to indicate 5 tried some new ideas and thoughts on them are mixed.  I'm waiting for a sale on 5 myself.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 04:33:30 PM
Have you played the earlier titles?  If not, I'd say grab 3 or 4.  I haven't played 5 yet but chatter on forums seems to indicate 5 tried some new ideas and thoughts on them are mixed.  I'm waiting for a sale on 5 myself.

Brand new to it SDR - I figured it didn’t matter where I started

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 05:16:53 PM
If that's the case, I'd start with 2, 3, or 4.  Gameplay is pretty similar across all 3 with just a few new ideas thrown in for each title.  Honestly, I'd say it's down to whichever theatre interests you most.  2 takes place in and around Berlin right at the end of the war.  3 takes place in North Africa, and 4 takes place in Italy.  I'd skip the original as it's a bit long in the tooth now and the stories in it and 2 are very similar.

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 05:59:50 PM
Nope  :2funny:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 02:56:31 AM
Nope  :2funny:

I knew you couldn’t 🤪🤪

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 06:49:55 AM
So, how is these better than all the previous versions? (non of which I have ever played).

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:31:23 AM
I haven't played 5 so I can only go by what I've read on discussion forums.

From what I gather, the story in 5 is a little more "what if" style alternate history than found in the previous games but not outrageously so.

For game play, the big changes are:

Invasion mode.  Other players can drop into your session and take on the role of an enemy sniper trying to hunt you down while you play through a mission.  Reception on this seems mixed with a fair number of complaints about people behaving as you'd expect, as in they are being asshats and just doing what they can to ruin your day by trying to break the game.

Character progression and customization.  You can add certain skills and perks as you gain XP.  Stuff like faster reloads, tossing back grenades, better stealth, etc.

Weapon customization.  They removed a lot of the old standbys and went down the Battlefield route by adding in a lot guns that were either very rare or only on the drawing board.  They also added in a lot more customization options for most firearms, much of it ahistorical  (Stens with IR sites, 1911s with scopes, buttstocks, and gangster grips, silenced MP40s with subsonic ammo, etc).

Non-lethal melee takedowns.  No idea why they added this in.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 09:36:37 AM
Don't forget, there's also the Sniper Elite board game, designed by none other than David Thompson!  :groovy:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 12:02:14 PM
You can switch invasion mode off right?

I mean it sounds great but some 12 year old dick riding round in a kubelwagen trying to knock you over is not my idea of down time

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 12:22:01 PM
I'd invade you any day Geek. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 01:14:31 PM
<<deletes steam forever>>

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 01:29:25 PM
I mean it sounds great but some 12 year old dick riding round in a kubelwagen trying to knock you over is not my idea of down time

:ROFL:

Hey, I was a 40 year old dick doing exactly that in Battlefield online games back in the day, with the WG crowd  :2funny:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 01:30:49 PM
 :ROFL: :ROFL: