Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 3817 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: July 30, 2022, 12:12:30 AM
Anyone here own/play No Man's Sky?  I've almost pulled the trigger a few times now, but have always held off at the last minute -- partially because I'm concerned I'll get too hooked on the game (and I'm already enjoying my Stellaris addition, thank you very much :P ). 

I'm aware of the game's disastrous launch, of course, but also its subsequent -- and surprising -- turnaround.  It makes for a great story, if nothing else, though the game does look genuinely fun in its own right. 

Anyway, I see No Man's Sky recently got a hefty new update ("Endurance"), and was wondering if anyone had checked it out: 

https://www.nomanssky.com/endurance-update/?cli_action=1659153795.839

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 01:10:55 AM
I own it on PS5. I didn't like it. That's all I have to say on the matter  :groovy:

But also they have released loads of updates

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 03:45:56 AM
Yep, my lady and I both play this, often. It's become a fantastic game, with all those updates adding an insane amount of features and things to do.

With regard to the Endurance update specifically, I haven't checked it out much because a community expedition launched at the same time and I've been focused on that. However from what I've seen the update makes your capital ship a lot better and easier to use, so it's a lot more feasible to use it as a base. Whereas before you kind of had to maintain at least one planetary base, it's now much more plausible to just use the cap ship as a roaming base.

All of these major updates that NMS gets - several a year - genuinely make the game so much better. It's an extraordinary achievement really.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 09:38:42 AM
I have it. I played it early on but I couldn't even get off the first planet. The setting was cool and the visuals were great but everything took sooooo long to get I never got my ship fixed before I had to move on to other things. I really should go back and try again but I suspect the game is still going to be more of a time-sink than I can handle.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 10:25:18 AM
I watched it as it approached release and thought the hype was too good to be true. It released, and it was a pile of steaming crap I heard. But, it was memorable that the devs stuck with it and did their damndest to build it out and make it right. I added it to my wishlist and bought it when it went on sale sometime last year.

I played it several hours, not because I liked it but because as Stags said, it took so bloody long to do anything and the planet was huge. I did manage to fix mine and get it flying, but the controls were wonky as hell. That might just have been me, or maybe it was a controller issue (I used keyboard/mouse, but am thinking it might have wanted me to use a controller, which I won't do on a PC).

I remember the visuals are pretty striking, the gameplay is somewhat meh, and the controls were frustrating. I never went back to it and uninstalled it. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 11:44:47 AM
I think that was a you issue, Banzai, no offense! The game is specifically designed to be incredibly easy to fly anywhere, you can't even crash. I can't remember whether the control system changed a lot over the years, but nowadays it's a kind of loose fly-by-wire system. You use the mouse to move a crosshair and the ship orients itself to wherever the crosshair is looking.

If anyone feels like giving it another go, it's much easier these days to get up and running than it used to be. You shouldn't have to go far to gather everything you need to repair your ship, and everything can be found easily either by using the visor (hold F and pan) or the scanner (hit C and tag whatever resource you need to get guidance to it).

Once you repair your ship, the universe is your oyster.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 11:58:57 AM
Is there such a thing as trading - saw freighters in the new release

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 12:26:21 PM
Freighters have been a thing for ages, they're basically the capital ship at the heart of your fleet.

There is trading but it's not a major feature of the game. Trade goods can be found or rewarded, and I think pirated too. And there is such a thing as supply and demand based on economy types of star systems etc. I've never really bothered with it though, I already have more cash than I can eat.