Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Diablo 2 Resurrected  (Read 7635 times)

Bison

• Corporal
on: September 20, 2021, 12:31:02 AM
It finally releases on 23 September. It is one of the very few games I have ever pre-ordered. I only wish they let you pre-load the game.

Not much else to say other than I cannot wait to download this later this week.  I am so stoked to play this again with a remastered version.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:14:03 AM
I also pre-ordered, after a looong hiatus in not pre-ordering anything ever. I think I still have one chapter left to finish in Diablo III as well.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:26:31 PM
I confess I've never played any games in this series, much less the first two (which I know are generally considered the best).  Keeping an eye on the remake, however. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 09:15:22 AM
Do you like loot 'n' shoot games with tons of the former and even more of the latter?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:21:10 PM
You can now pre-load the game. It looks to be a 30GB file which is bigger than I expected.

I love action RPGs. They are simple in terms of gameplay but the lure of the next loot item is for me a "just one more turn" mechanic. Just good, generally mindless fun.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 02:06:51 AM
Do you like loot 'n' shoot games with tons of the former and even more of the latter?

I do every now and then, yes.  While admittedly my general preference is for meatier, more story-oriented RPG's (PoE, D:OS, etc.), sometimes you just want to kill monsters and take their stuff.  :biggrin: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 02:17:48 AM
Diablo always reminds me of my youthful days of AD&D. Where an RPG adventure really meant dungeon crawling, killing monsters, and collecting the sweet, sweet loot. We did not spend a lot of time meandering around town talking to folks and learning about their "stories". :)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 08:40:03 AM
This is a no-brainer for you then, Martok.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:15:55 AM
I won't do this because I can't bear the thought of installing yet another delivery system -- I barely touch Epic these days -- but:

A long time ago I went to a panel at GenCon on which E. Gary himself was a member.   A question came from the audience that I sincerely wish I'd asked, viz.:  what did he think about "Diablo" and how it related to his vision of D&D?  At the time, I sincerely hoped he'd set it on fire as lacking narrative, character development, &c.  I was to be disappointed.

He said it was exactly what he and his D&D co-creators had in mind when they started the revolution.

That has always stuck with me.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 04:20:59 PM
I recall reading somewhere a similar statement from Gygax. Honestly when you consider how one gained primarily gained XP, it explains his belief on the game. Gold = XP and monsters a distant second. I do not recall if there is an option in the rules but we certainly did not give out XP for good role playing.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 03:31:59 PM
I have downloaded and installed. GIGGITY

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 06:30:06 PM
Hoi and just today 'reads' about this, already having played the original with "Hellfire" expansion, along with "D-II" and its 'expansion', while I no longer 'get' any CD/Disc-Drives access of which to ever utilize them, once again. The best 'aspect' regarding "D-1" is how you would greatly increase their 'Magic'-abilities with adornment of 'Magically Propitious' items, so, where is A-N-Y "Yahoo 21 Boots"-skillz kind? For "D-2", I liked that 'Companion' of whom I usually retained the 1st since Her 'skills' would steadily increase, in the 'long run' and this allowed improved 'Arms'/'Armor' being given for her uses. Too bad they never use 'Jewelry' UNLESS it became 'infused'/'part-of' some 'socketed weaponry'/'Helms'/'Shields'-('moi' favored that as a "Tank"). I always would take smaller 'Gems' placed together into the 'Cube' and transform these as enlarged/biggest kinds, as 'moi' own 'favs' were "Knockback", "Freeze", "Life/Mana"-drains" abilities, as ofttimes you might put up to 3 of that into something! Them stupid "P.K."-mofos really screwed/skewered the 'Game' and for what?--'ears'?!? Why I never 'heard' of SUCH "pompouspompascityproclivityprocedurals", although 'Wert's Leg' often fielded/wielded a mean "Club"  with 'socket(s)' at times, and have Y-O-U ever been "assaulted" by that 'Skeleton King'...in the 'Bocage Country'..whilst 'Negative Waves upon Waves' of 'Skeletons'.. descended onto the 'Scene' as well, man? "Clubs/Maces" will work better upon their sorry 'coccyx'/'bums' yet, the 'Staff' staves them OFF-PUTTING much, too. "Momma says to 'Knock-Back/Freeze/Sanguinize' yo, dag!"

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:47:36 PM

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 07:10:51 PM

Hoi, with mayhaps: "Always FULL-Filled Quiver" or "Perpetual Bolts d`Shots-Puttings Outwards-Aweful-OFFAL"?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 07:37:25 PM
I have downloaded and installed. GIGGITY

Fired it up for a quick 30 minute visit and it looks and plays great. I will say the speed of the game compared to D3 is drastic. After playing hundreds of hours of D3 over the last decade, the change of pace is nice. I decided to go with the Amazon which is a class I do not remember playing previously. Spears, shields, and bows will lead be to sweet loot glory!