Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Target for Tonight - Legion Wargames  (Read 3377 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
on: April 25, 2020, 12:12:16 AM
I vacillated a lot before finally deciding to purchase this one.  I'm generally not a big fan of this style of "roll-a-story" kind of game that doesn't offer up a lot of tactical choice but I do love me some Lancasters and Halifaxes.  Besides, with the whole lockdown situation, solitaire is the only game in town.

I owned Target for Today but ended up selling it fairly soon after I bought it for reasons outlined above.  I'm glad to see that Legion Games has improved on the quality of the components and the overall presentation.  Shame that my mounted board arrived with scratches and rents in it.  I'm going to try to get a replacement sent. 

Time to "de-house" some Germans!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:48:29 AM
Looks good  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:05:12 AM
Fast response from Legion.  New board is already in the mail.  Hopefully the border delays won’t be too long.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:13:18 AM
I played my first game of Target for Tonight this evening. I’m doing the first campaign, Harris Takes Command, spring-summer 1942. I chose a Halifax Mk II from 405 (Vancouver) Sqn, No. 6 Group, RCAF based out of Pocklington.

First mission was against Essen. My bomber, Mountain Gal, was issued Gee and was in the leading section of the bomber stream. Weather was cloudy or foggy for the duration which hindered German defences. Nachtjaeger from NJG.1 attempted to intercept over Holland but failed to spot us. We were engaged three separate times by Me.110 F-4s while over Essen. The first was spotted at 6 o’clock high by our tail gunner and combined fire from the tail and mid-upper turrets ruined its left wing. Their crew bailed out successfully but the aircraft was destroyed. The second 110 went I spotted and crept up and engaged us from 6 o’clock low but missed. Their pilot was dazzled by his own muzzle flashes and lost contact. The final 110 flown by an experten took a high angle snap shot from 1:30 high and put two cannon rounds through the rear centre section, destroying a large portion of the mid-upper turret’s ammo supply. He failed to re-acquire us after the initial pass.

Bombing run was successful with 30% landing within the target zone. We were coned by searchlights And engaged by flak while egressing the target zone but suffered no damage.

Nightfighters tried to intercept twice more over the sea but failed to find us. We landed safely back at Pocklington in time for bacon and eggs. 29 more missions to go.

I used the map from Duel in the Dark to track progress through the zones and to place weather just to add some immersion. I also used minis from Wings of Glory for the same reason (with a Lanc standing in for my Halibag)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 06:37:53 AM
Looks very cool! :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:09:10 AM
Nice touch with the pieces you added 😀

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 11:42:44 PM
I've got about 12 missions done in my campaign so I feel as though I've got a decent handle on the rules.  I'd say hold off on getting it for now.  It feels more like a mod for Target for Today than a fully fleshed out game depicting Bomber Command.  I feel the biggest issue is the tactical battle map.  It's basically an exact copy of the one from Target for Today with a dark wash applied over the background art.  Enemy fighters still attack from all zones of the clock.  This makes absolutely no sense.  Visibility at night was 1-200 meters at best so having nightfighters attacking from 10:30 to 1:30 is ridiculous.  There are also far too many nightfighter attacks in a given mission.  You can expect a half dozen attacks per mission which is overkill.  I feel there are omissions that need to be fleshed out as well.  The target booklet is a lazy copy/paste from TfT and assumes your missions all start off SE England where US bombers formed up.  They do admit in the rules that this is the case so it's been up to the modders to come up with proper lists of Bomber Groups/Squadrons and list where their airbases were located.  The weather rules are nowhere near as detailed as they should be nor are the rules governing electronic warfare or navigation. 

The possibility of a good game emerging is there but I suspect it'll be up to the modding community to make this a reality.