Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FORT SUMTER: the Secession Crisis, now on Steam, crossplatform coming  (Read 11679 times)

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Playdek has had a decent record with its boardgame adaptations so far (though I wish they would bring full Agricola and Le Havre to PC, since they're a little cramped on my iphone.)

With the success of their adaptation of Twilight Struggle (...aside from abandoning the game after the DLC was released and so leaving some game killing bugs there, so don't waste money on their DLC for that game...), GMT commissioned them to start bringing more of their catalog to electronic gaming.

I don't recall if Fort Sumter is a GMT game, but it's by Mark Hermon who does a lot of GMT stuff so I consider this at least good practice for Playdek!

Anyway, this area-control card game (with some slight resemblance to Twilight Struggle) released on Steam yesterday. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1041940/

It looks and plays sharp, although I noticed a Day 2 patch this morning for something. ;) Normally $10, it's selling for $9 as its introductory discount right now.

If you like this kind of game (card play for area control) then this is another one of those, with a very nice overlay of pre-American Civil War political flavor. I worked through the first turn of the tutorial last night. There are solo (offline) and multiplayer options available; also the map areas can be shuffled around between roughly-physical correspondence and topical correspondence (which is more useful but a little less flavor).

Crossplatform (android and iOS) hasn't arrived yet but it's on the way.

You'll need a (free) Playdek account for multiplayer, but y'all should have that already for Twilight Struggle and Lords of Waterdeep mp!  :biggrin:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
I've looked several times at the board game version of this but since it's card-driven it didn't seem like it had a lot of solo potential other than schizophrenia.  It is indeed a GMT game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/229956/fort-sumter-secession-crisis-1860-61

I have TS on Steam. Good to know there's solo play on this, I might check it out, thanks.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
It's a good board game. Even the wife liked it.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Davout

• Jr. Trooper
- I bought FORT SUMTER yesterday on sale in STEAM.