Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

Intel Dump / Re: Wargame Design Studio News Thread + Latest Sale Titles
« Last post by rahamy on April 05, 2024, 09:04:10 AM »
New post up this morning, bringing the first new versions for the Civil War Battles update cycle. Read all about it here:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/civil-war-battles-4-05-updates

History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on April 05, 2024, 08:48:41 AM »
431   BC   Outbreak of the Peloponnesian War (431-404 BC) [Trad]

1581         Frances Drake completes the second circumnavigation of the world

1707. a military career of some 50 years – for 44 of which he was France’s Commissioner of Fortifications – Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban (1633-1707), built or rebuilt over 160 fortified places, and participated in 48 sieges, all of them successfully.

1817         Jean-André Masséna, 48, 1st Duc de Rivoli, 1st Prince d'Essling, brilliant Marshal of France, noted looter

1828. Where is the Duke?"
Charles Cavendish Fulke Greville (1794-1865) was a British civil servant during the first half of the Nineteenth Century, and a diarist of some note.  Although he never held any notably important post, he had frequent encounters with many of the most prominent people of his times, and his diary has a wealth of detail of the habits and foibles of the great.  In the case of the Duke of Wellington, his brother, Algernon Frederick Greville (1798-1864), was the field marshal’s private secretary, and seems to have been the source of many an interesting tale, such as this little observation about one of Wellington’s minor foibles.
One of his peculiarities was to never tell anybody where he was going and when my brother or his own sons wished to be acquainted with his intentions they were obliged to apply to the housekeeper, to whom he was in the habit of making them known, and nobody ever dared to ask him questions on the subject.
Fortunately, Wellington seems to have confined this peculiar habit to his civilian life, since it would not have been a good practice while on campaign.

1865         Lincoln sits in Jeff Davis' chair, in the Confederate White House

1882 Harper’s Weekly reported that Queen Victoria’s prize deerhound Hero, the star attraction of the Westminster Kennel Club Show, in Madison Square Garden, was on the alert for assassination plots by setters and terriers of the Irish persuasion.

1913. Arguably, the first communications "Hot Line" in history was established in July of 1913 by the French and Russians in the early twentieth century, to help them coordinate planning and operations in the event of war with Germany, when they initiated a dedicated wireless link between the two general staffs operating about eight hours a day.

1916. Of seven Jewish men serving in the Bavarian 16th Reserve Infantry, Hitler’s regiment, in October, three were killed in action and three were awarded the Iron Cross

1940         Katyn Forest: The Soviets begin mass executions of Polish military officers, police officials, and intellectuals, c. 20,000 die over several weeks

2016. Eric Dott president of Monarch printing and Avalon Hill game company.
Professional Wargaming / Seekriegsspiel – The Other German Wargame
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 04, 2024, 06:45:39 PM »
Seekriegsspiel – The Other German Wargame
The introduction of Seekriegsspiel to the German navy was not without issue.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/research/seekriegsspiel/

4X Gaming / Britannia
« Last post by bbmike on April 04, 2024, 10:21:05 AM »
Britannia released today on Steam. It is from the same people that did War and Peace (now Napoleon's Eagles). It looks mighty interesting. Has anyone tried it?

Britannia
Age of Gunpowder / Re: Battle of Sekigahara by The Historical Game Company
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 04, 2024, 08:31:29 AM »
First Impressions: Battle of Sekigahara
Stephen L. Kling’s Battle of Sekigahara offers a chance to get a feel for this historic battle in a game that’s easy to learn, quick to play and captures the feel of a battle that would decide the direction a significant portion of history.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/reviews/sekigahara1st/

Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by JudgeDredd on April 04, 2024, 05:05:08 AM »
Also - with Mr President, I think it was all the reading that put me off.
« Last post by besilarius on April 03, 2024, 07:08:35 PM »
1770         Theodoros Kolokotronis, Greek soldier, "the old man of Morea", senior commander in the War for Indpendence from the Ottomans (1821-1829)

1860         First ride of the Pony Express

1865         Union forces occupy Richmond & Petersberg, to the tune of "Dixie"

1866. When the royal party came under fire at the Battle of Koniggratz (July 3), Prussian Chancellor Otto von Bismarck said to King Wilhelm I, "As a major I have no right to counsel your Majesty on the battlefield, but as Minister-President it is my duty to beg your Majesty not to seek evident danger!", to which the king, a veteran of Waterloo, replied with a smile, "How can I ride off when my army is under fire?"

1904. The outbreak of the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905), caused panic among some British officials who, fearing the Russians would use their mobilization for a war in the Far East to mask an invasion of India from Turkestan through Afghanistan, strengthened the Indian Army, a measure that proved quite useful in the war that would break out in 1914.

1919         Wilbur Little, returning black WW I veteran, lynched by a mob in Blakely, Georgia, for wearing his uniform in public.

1942. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, is named Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas (CINCPOA) and also retains the title of Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet (CINCPAC).

1943         Conrad Veidt, 50, German born American actor (Major Strasser in 'Casablanca')

1944         British bombers attack the German battleship 'Tirpitz' in Norwegian waters

1944         Burma-India: British juggle forces to stem the Japanese drive on Imphal

1945. battery of two British 15-inch Mark I naval rifles installed at Wanstone, in southeastern England, in June of 1942, fired so often at German positions on the other side of the Strait of Dover that they had to be retubed four times before the war ended.
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 03, 2024, 09:42:48 AM »
Warrior Knights from FFG has some mechanics for this
« Last post by bbmike on April 03, 2024, 09:27:15 AM »
1734, finding that some 1,200 of his soldiers had gone AWOL to join the better-paying Spanish Army at Genoa, King Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia instituted cavalry patrols to prevent the troops from escaping, and ordered captured deserters executed, which seems to have done little to stem the outflow of troops, lured by that extra cash.

Not sure I've seen this happen in a wargame.  8)
Intel Dump / Re: Tuesday Newsday! Weekly dump of wargaming news
« Last post by bbmike on April 03, 2024, 08:30:11 AM »
Holy Crap!  Worthington Games2 has put Divine Right up on Kickstarter and we’re finally going to see a new version after all these years

Isn't that one of your "grail games'?