Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Intel Dump!  (Read 231838 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #435 on: January 01, 2020, 10:21:16 AM
If I had to pick one game, it would be this one;

https://www.compassgames.com/preorders/decision-at-kasserine-rommel-s-last-chance-designer-signature-edition.html

I remember playing the original 3W game way back and it was pretty good.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #436 on: January 02, 2020, 09:29:28 AM
Besides the first mission of Gloomhaven, I was also able to play:

- Last Night On Earth. A great game in that it's very easy to pick up and play, is not at all fiddly, and doesn't take that long.

- The Networks. Really like the theme of this one, where you play a TV network (technically, with just three time slots - 8, 9, and 10pm) that starts with crap programming and has to try to gain the most viewers. It has a solo component that's quite enjoyable but personally I prefer to play it two- or even three-handed, instead.

- Marvel Champions. A good game, though I'm not a huge card/deck-building fan. I probably should not have acquired this one as I see tons of add-ons for this title.

- Betrayal at House on the Hill. While this co-op is not suited well for solo play, there are some end-game haunts that can be played solo. I played one game up to a haunt and found it a lot of fun, though having little kids as characters is extremely creepy to me.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #437 on: January 02, 2020, 09:49:32 AM
A good variety. Sounds like you're doing some catching up  :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #438 on: January 02, 2020, 09:52:55 AM
Whoops, I meant to post that in What's On Your Table? - my bad.

I thought about making a resolution where I'd play one new game each week but hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #439 on: January 02, 2020, 09:56:46 AM
Hohohohoho

..har har.

You funny! I like you.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #440 on: January 02, 2020, 04:25:07 PM
Sounds intriguing.

I recently picked up Coral Sea from the 2nd World War at Sea series and really enjoy it.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameRedSky.php?fbclid=IwAR3mMEOHL2yHH7qLFjfaLTsUr4IVYl86NWcuSK0JfMrfpx7klkEZyewR7oU

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #441 on: January 02, 2020, 07:15:55 PM
Sounds intriguing.

I recently picked up Coral Sea from the 2nd World War at Sea series and really enjoy it.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameRedSky.php?fbclid=IwAR3mMEOHL2yHH7qLFjfaLTsUr4IVYl86NWcuSK0JfMrfpx7klkEZyewR7oU

While the link you provided doesn't actually lead to AH's Coral Sea game, it does serendipitously lead to a soon-to-be-released Cold War naval game which looks very interesting!

Cold War at Sea
Red Sky at Morning

It’s 1983, and Soviet Northern Fleet has begun its long-planned operation to break into the North Atlantic and disrupt the convoys bringing desperately-needed munitions and reinforcements from the United States and Canada to the battlefield that was once West Germany. Following the Concept of Maritime Operations as practiced in Operations Ocean Safari and Northern Wedding, the U.S. Second Fleet and allied NATO naval forces enter the Norwegian Sea to repel them.

Cold War at Sea: Red Sky at Morning is a game based on these intensively-planned operations that thankfully never actually took place. It’s a new series, drawing heavily on the concepts pioneered in our Second World War at Sea series of World War Two naval games.

You get the aircraft carriers, reconditioned battleships, cruisers, destroyers and frigates of the United States, Soviet Union, United Kingdom, Norway, Netherlands, West Germany and more. Submarines are now major combatants, with their own “long” playing pieces just like the surface ships and their own tactical resolution.

Missiles - launched from planes, ships, submarines and even helicopters - have altered the engagement envelope. Aircraft are both enormously more capable than those of World War II, and more vulnerable to sophisticated air defenses. Electronic warfare is now crucial; ships, submarines and aircraft are no longer passive targets but can take active measures in their own defense.

Like Second World War at Sea, Cold War at Sea has both an operational game (with scenarios taking place on the operational map, in this case of the Greenland-Iceland-U.K. Gap and the Norwegian Sea) and a tactical map (with battle scenarios taking place on a map much like the Second World War at Sea tactical map).

Like our other naval games, Red Sky at Morning is organized in our story-arc format, with the scenarios telling the story of this brutal naval campaign that never happened. Red Sky at Morning includes a double-sized operational map of the northern North Atlantic, 350 die-cut and silky-smooth playing pieces (210 “long” ship pieces and 140 normal-sized aircraft and marker pieces) and forty scenarios.

Links:

Stock Code APL0058

Price: $79.99

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #442 on: January 02, 2020, 07:21:17 PM
That looks interesting, but I just don't think I can bring myself to buy an Avalanche Press game.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #443 on: January 02, 2020, 07:35:17 PM
⬆️
This

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #444 on: January 02, 2020, 08:00:21 PM
Sounds intriguing.

While the link you provided doesn't actually lead to AH's Coral Sea game, it does serendipitously lead to a soon-to-be-released Cold War naval game which looks very interesting!

That's indeed what I was trying to link to.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #445 on: January 02, 2020, 08:45:58 PM
I stand corrected and enlightened.  :bigthumb:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #446 on: January 30, 2020, 03:41:56 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #447 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:22 PM
WOW!  A Bulge game.... how.... different.....  :oh:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #448 on: January 30, 2020, 05:46:12 PM
I haven't seen a new Bulge game in, like, hours.  :crazy2:

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #449 on: January 30, 2020, 06:14:37 PM
I haven't seen a new Bulge game in, like, hours.  :crazy2:

Check under the couch cushions. Sometimes they sprout up from leftover change and popcorn kernels.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres