Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Saturday Night Fights" -- A Sprint Over the Blood River -- 1879  (Read 37779 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #75 on: January 26, 2019, 07:43:28 PM
I weep for Capt. Templar's men.

Entrusted to a Canadian.

Nothing reputable in any of that!

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #76 on: January 26, 2019, 08:14:26 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #77 on: January 26, 2019, 11:49:52 PM
I can't say I know as they make great viewing, but I've really enjoyed the CA games.

British are having the better time of it, pace the carbineers getting swarmed by Zulu.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #78 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:43 AM
I thought I was watching the charge of the Lihjt Brigade.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Capn Darwin

• Trooper
  • Rocket Scientist and Game Designer
Reply #79 on: January 27, 2019, 11:27:49 AM
Let's be honest ,more like the charge of the Light-headed Brigade... :bigthumb:

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #80 on: January 27, 2019, 11:38:40 AM
I can't say I know as they make great viewing, but I've really enjoyed the CA games.

British are having the better time of it, pace the carbineers getting swarmed by Zulu.

The quip I was positing in the chat last night was

when the Natal Carabiniers come back as replacements, are they the Neonatal Carabiniers

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #81 on: February 01, 2019, 08:20:40 AM
I'm not sure if I will be around this Saturday, my son is coming home, and I think he ordered some 'starter' packs of Magic the Gathering, he wants to force feed/teach me this game. We'll see, I'll let you know tomorrow. Maybe he means to 'teach me' in the afternoon and go out with his friends tomorrow night.  ;)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #82 on: February 01, 2019, 11:03:34 AM
Ever the problem with things like this.

Right as the band was about to have at him, the Capt. rides to the rear muttering to himself about having to see to some affair or other.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #83 on: February 01, 2019, 11:13:57 AM
Should be able to make it this week for whatever you've got going.

My wife had other... better... plans last week...  ;)

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #84 on: February 01, 2019, 12:13:37 PM
Nieces are visiting for a protracted period tomorrow, BUT odds seem very good that I'll be available by 7pm. (As long as I refuse to go eat with the family: last week I was like, ah, we couldn't possibly be back later than 6:30...  :hehe: )

I'm not sure if I will be around this Saturday, my son is coming home, and I think he ordered some 'starter' packs of Magic the Gathering, he wants to force feed/teach me this game. We'll see, I'll let you know tomorrow. Maybe he means to 'teach me' in the afternoon and go out with his friends tomorrow night.  ;)

If you want to get a head start on that, Tuna, the "Magic Duels" game on Steam is one hundred percent free and has (mostly) good tutorials. (Sometimes, maybe as much as 1/5th, the tutorials break while loading in, preventing you from having enough cards or whatever to finish the demonstration; but reloading the tutorial has always worked for me when that happens.) It even 'pays' you to learn the tutorials, and you can end up with a very substantial budget to go buy 'boosters' with afterward -- on the game's system of course, not irl.

This could give you a head start in understanding what your son is talking about. But MtG and similar games are great tactical and strategic concentration battle generators.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #85 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:12 PM
Argh! -- got in tonight, and my faithful computer THE PRESENCE (because it's a 70 lb black monolith), which has been showing signs of minor instability for the past few weeks, now won't completely load up at all. Nor does it want to restart or even shut down. Hard cold reboot (physical switchoff plus unplugging) leads to the Bios screen saying that overclocking has failed, and the system needs reconfiguring.

I'm on wait-call for Falcon Northwest tech support. I doubt I actually need overclocking, especially with the 1080ti card I put in several months ago (to replace the aging 600 series SLI from the original purchase), but experience suggests this is something in the motherboard finally failing.

My system has been a hard puncher since mid December 2012, a little more than six years, and was still totally competent at running anything I wanted no matter how moxie (once the gfx card was updated -- which I'm sure I can port over easily if I need a new computer). I'll miss it, if it can't be salvaged.

The practical point to this announcement, is that I may be unable to join the conclusion of the epic trilogy tomorrow night.  :waah: My portable backup, a Surface Pro 3 (almost as old ;) ), might or might not be able to run TTS sufficiently along with a mic arrangement through Steam. (It's fine for doing this, or for light gaming including many older wargames, but...)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #86 on: February 01, 2019, 11:48:24 PM
Fie upon it.

We're almost there!

Ah, well, life and all that.

Velker, Barth, and I will soldier on as necessary, but OJ, are you in?

Doug?  Velker is VERY sorry for that horse thing.

I know Tuna is a "maybe".

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #87 on: February 02, 2019, 09:12:02 AM
I'm not sure I'm going to make it or not tonight.  I'll have to let you know for sure later today.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #88 on: February 02, 2019, 12:43:26 PM
Sorry, I'm out on this one.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Reply #89 on: February 02, 2019, 04:01:11 PM
Some day I'll get around to joining you ne'er-do-wells.

Weekends have been busy lately.