Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Longstreet Attacks  (Read 952 times)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
on: March 08, 2024, 01:24:43 PM
I'm struggling a wee bit with this.

It seems to be very geared towards the Confederates. I don't have a dog in the fight - it doesn't bother me one side has an advantage, only in so much as from a gaming perspective, one side (Union) is hobbled...so it makes playing them frustrating.

The Union leaders all seem to have low command ratings which often means they can't perform a full activation. This, in turn, means you do nothing.

In my Whirlpool scenario, I've pulled 4 divisional chits in the first turn - 3 for Birney and 1 for Barnes and they didn't pass for full activation, so none of them could do anything. That's Birney used up.

I know from my readings and watchings that the Confederates, at least early war, had superior officers. So historically, I'm sure this all fits. It just makes the game "half flat"...Confederates get to do stuff and Union doesn't.

So - I'm struggling a wee bit with the "fun" aspect at the moment.

Also, I would say the rules aren't written great. I've had worse, but I've certainly had better. Additionally, I printed out the rules on the Revolution Games website only to find out not only did they not have errata in them, but they were the first edition rules. I had the second edition of the game and the rules were slightly different in places. Not hugely - but noticable.

I've asked if they aren't going to update the manual to include errata (which would be ideal) if they could at least put the second edition rules up on their main page.

Onto the map. I love the map. It took me  while to get to grips with the steep slopes...but after a while, I got there. Whilst I love the map - it is busy. It's very difficult to identify hexes...often having to find a similar hex wuiet a few hexes away and then work back to find the actual hex you want. It's outstanding looking, but difficult to navigate.

I also think the game needs a couple of extra player aid cards...one for the details of the Wild Chits and the other for details on the combat and close combat modifiers. I'm often having to grab the manual for both of these.

I know this all sounds negative, but it's absolutely not a bad game at all. I've just striuggled a bit with the manual, the map and the "fun" aspect given the neutered Union commanders.

Those are my thoughts on the game.

Now - here's something else. I'd be interested to hear from anyone whose plkayed the Blind Swords system and who have also played Battle Hymn.

I've now played both and in my head the rules are very similar. Somedifferences for sure, but things like getting support from adjacent units rang a bell when I read it. I think they are more similar than they are dissimilar. But it's been a while since I played Battle Hymn - so maybe I'm a bit foggy on the rules...I just know that stuck out to me (and there was something else that has escaped me now).

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 02:00:05 PM
Interesting, JD.

I have the 'Kernstown' game and the game of First Bull Run and have played them quite a bit. Although the core rules are the same, there are obviously some special rules to cover each game, so there is a degree of difference between them all.

For example, in the Bull Run game, you can activate a formation and assign an order, but need a separate roll based on the leaders rating if an attack order is selected to see how many regiments of that brigade can actually take part in the attack. I'm not sure if this applies in your game, so it may well be different. Also, in general terms, the Union are on the defensive at this point, with the burden of the assault being on the Confederates, so even a Union limited activation will still allow them to fire at targets that are within range/LOS.

I just looked at the counters on BGG and see that most Union commanders are a '3' although Hancock and Sickles have no activation number and, if this is like the games I've played, then it means that can activate automatically without a die roll?

Also, again just talking about the games I have, they both have 2 PAC's, one for each player, and one the back of each is a 'Unique Event Description', so just have a check and see if its the same.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 02:10:50 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 03:26:12 PM
So this one is a bit different.

There are CiC chits...Longstreet, Hancock and Sickles. They don't have command values, but the scenarios specify their rating. For example in The Whirlpool scenario Longstreet is 4 and Sickles is 3.

Regarding the commander ratings. Basically if you don't roll equal to or less than the commanders rating you can do a limited activation which is simply a fire action - not the same as an Attack command. In an attack command, you can attack, move and then perform close combat if you're adjacent.

Most of the Union commanders in this scenario are 2...so you only get a 33% chance of getting a full activation. In the first turn, I pulled Birney 3 times and he's rolled more than 3 each time, resulting in each of his 3 brigades being marked as activated but not having done anything (because they were'nt in range of the enemy or just didn't have the firepower).

So it's just difficult.

This is only my second scenario...the first one being The Round Tops which was much smaller.

So I'll persevere - I have a while to go before I'm ready to get Salerno '43 on the table anyway. I've got Ayres, Barnes, Caldwell and Humphreys to activate yet and 3 of then have a command value of 3.

Regarding the PACS - yeah - I have 3. 2 have the sequence of play, combat modifiers and TEC etc on one side with event descriptions on the rear. But the two things the game is missing is the WIld Card chit explanations on a PAC and also a more detailed description on the combat modifiers (the combat modifiers are on one of them, but the manual has a more detailed explanation of them which would be handy on PACS). Having this info on PACS would save having to go to the manual.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 05:18:00 PM
I've posted this on BGG - but maybe you can help Bawb...

I don't know if I have the term "Normal Fire Combat Step" correct...I think it means 12.0 Fire Combat and does not include 14.0 Close Combat...is that correct?

Basically (because my Union Leaders are pants) They are failing to get a full activation and so perform a Normal Fire Combat Step...and I have some units engaged with Confederate troops. If I am correct with the term "Normal Fire Combat Step" meaning 12.0 and not 14.0, then they can't attack?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 05:28:16 PM
Yes, in a limited activation, a unit can only make a fire attack and nothing else. In order to conduct an assault (close combat) the formation must be under an attack order before it can engage (in other words, move adjacent to the defending unit(s)).

Remember also the sequence of play whereby with an attack order, fire combat is before movement and/or close combat.
Also, once assaulting units have been declared, the defenders get to issue defensive fire before the CC is resolved.

Hope that helps - if not, just let me know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:44:00 PM by bob48 »

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 05:50:56 PM
So a unit under a commander who only has a limited activation, and that unit is adjacent to an enemy unit, cannot fight that unit?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 05:59:02 PM
It can only issue a fire attack as its only action if under a limited activation, which, if its already adjacent to an enemy unit can be quite effective - and it could then fire again defensively if the adjacent enemy units declare an assault.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 06:01:07 PM
Right - so it can still attack, but only using the Fire Combat tables and not the Close Combat tables.

Good...I thought they couldn't fire at all which made no sense.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 06:04:49 PM
Yep - rule 12.0 for a fire combat step and then 14.3a for possible defensive fire.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 05:34:59 PM
Rebel Yell

I have a Confederate unit I can move adjacent to a Union unit to play this Command Event.

Question...there's already a Confederate unit adjacent to the Union unit...so if I move this other unit to engage with the Union unit, can I combine the other Confederate unit (that will be in an adjacent hex to the newly moved Confederate unit) into the attack...which you can do normally with a Close Combat?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 05:55:10 PM
I assume this will be the same as it is in the two games I have, in which case I think the key here is that you pick the unit(s) in one hex to move and then conduct the assault. I would therefore say that any units that did not start off in this selected hex are not included in the assault - that's my take on it, and that's the way I have been playing it. :-)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 06:09:23 PM
Thanks bob.
I have to say I'm a wee bit bored with this.

The Union player is hobbled so much with bad command. I've played two turns...I've got 6 Union brigades to activate and in 2 turns not one of them has had a full activation. And with their placement that means some of them aren't doing anything.

2 turns in and I've got 3 Union units in the Broken 2 box and several more on their battle worn side with morale hits.

It may be realistic...but the Confederates are just steam rolling over the Union. I don't have a dog in the fight...but I like some semblance of balance

I'm going to crack on through this scenario and decide at the end

I know I'm in the minority regarding this system...so two turns is no reason to dump it. I'm just doing a lot of eye rolling at the moment

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 06:19:50 PM
....get some better blue dice................. ;D

I don't know what the victory conditions are for that particular game, so cannot tell if the Union are holding or not. I can only say that in the games I have, whilst there are some swings in fortune, that the games seem to be pretty balanced. I have found that the way the system works can often result in some very good and varied outcomes..

To be honest, the reason I did not get that particular game is because its (obviously) just a part of a larger event, and thus what happens in it is, for me, a bit out of context.

I think I would have recommended one of the smaller games, such as 'Stonewalls Sword' as a starting point to the series.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2024, 07:36:53 PM
If the map goes back to Sickies' ordered position on Cemetery Ridge, you might find it a better game.
According to the Park Service's account, it was a gross mistake to advance III corps into the Wheatfield and the Peach Orchard.
The frontage was too wide for just two divisions and this led to the corps being overwhelmed.  Meade was angry at the move but it was too late to fall back.
Having the corps tightened up on a shorter front, might make it a better fight?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2024, 08:05:36 PM
I echo your sentiments, JD. I had this game last year, but the rules didn't really make me want to punch the game and try it out. I sold it fairly quickly.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)