Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Armageddon War  (Read 6442 times)

judgedredd

on: February 03, 2020, 05:45:45 PM
Does anyone have or has anyone played Armageddon War by Flying Pig games?

I just watched a video of it by The Player's Aid and it looks very interesting. I was looking around for a Middle East game and tripped over it.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 05:49:47 PM
Bar Lev from Compass is pretty sweet

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:00:05 PM
I was looking at that one. It's very expensive and it looks very, very big. I thought I might be biting off more I could chew with that one.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:10:04 PM
It is big so that's probably a no-go.

I picked it up for half-off at Compass Con. It's an impressive looking game.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 07:00:11 PM
Does anyone have or has anyone played Armageddon War by Flying Pig games?

I just watched a video of it by The Player's Aid and it looks very interesting. I was looking around for a Middle East game and tripped over it.

I have it. Got it from the KS. Interesting mechanics but a bit fiddly and the scenarios are not that interesting, at least to me. They all felt like training scenarios.....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 07:27:54 PM
Aren't there a bunch of hypotheticals in there also? I mean, beyond the obvious shooting or breaking out. I thought there were some near future things that aren't quite real yet

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 09:27:14 PM
Oh, yeah all the scenarios are set in a hypothetical future conflict in the middle east... but they are all pretty un-interesting.. to me...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 11:31:45 PM
I have it, complete from the KS. I've not played it and probably never will.

I have Revelation War from Canvas Temple and it seems a lot more realistic and interesting to me. I intend to get that to the table at some point.

https://canvastemple.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3&zenid=bbef3d8c1a9853a47ce3a9b81b0596f9

I'd offer to send you Armageddon War JD, but I think it's about 10 pounds of stuff. I'm not exaggerating, either. There was a lot of stuff in that KS.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 01:50:12 AM
The Guys at Player's Aid really raved about it. The mechanics sounded pretty cool - that's what was dragging my interest. Ideally I wanted a 6 Day War or Yom Kippur era...but the mechanics and quality of the game sounded superb.

Panzerde - how much would you want for it? Depending on that, it could work out cheaper than in the UK...I'm looking at £104 with postage in the UK! That other game looked interesting - but what's with all the religious counters? Seemed to be as many of them as legitimate unit counters  ;D

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 08:55:50 AM
Ideally I wanted a 6 Day War or Yom Kippur era...

MMP's Yom Kippur is a quite good as well. The SCS series is easy to get into, very playable games.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/ProductID/54/Default.aspx

Heights of Courage is another solid game and it pairs nicely with Yom Kippur

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/12/ProductID/123/Default.aspx

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 09:07:28 AM
Thanks but I think I'm just going to get this...I've just watched this video and I really like the look of it. I have no real desire for the factions - at least mentioned in this video - but the scenario seems decent enough in it's briefing.

It's either this or Bar Lev.... :waiting:

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 12:54:15 PM
The Guys at Player's Aid really raved about it. The mechanics sounded pretty cool - that's what was dragging my interest. Ideally I wanted a 6 Day War or Yom Kippur era...but the mechanics and quality of the game sounded superb.

Panzerde - how much would you want for it? Depending on that, it could work out cheaper than in the UK...I'm looking at £104 with postage in the UK! That other game looked interesting - but what's with all the religious counters? Seemed to be as many of them as legitimate unit counters  ;D

I'm happy to just send it to you for the cost of shipping. I'll never play it, and it's eating up limited shelf space for me.

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 02:00:03 PM
Well Panzerde - I don't know what to say. That's extremely generous of you. If you could find out how much shipping is I would make the call - it could be exuberant.

I'll send you my shipping address so you can see how much shipping would be - is that ok?

I was really torn between this and Bar Lev. Bar Lev is more the era and conflict I wanted, but the game looks massive and quite complicated. This looks like it's got pretty cool graphics and game mechanics.

I'll pm you my address and if you can let me know shipping, I'll make a call...but either way, thank you very much for the very generous offer.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:06 PM
Well Panzerde - I don't know what to say. That's extremely generous of you. If you could find out how much shipping is I would make the call - it could be exuberant.

I'll send you my shipping address so you can see how much shipping would be - is that ok?

I was really torn between this and Bar Lev. Bar Lev is more the era and conflict I wanted, but the game looks massive and quite complicated. This looks like it's got pretty cool graphics and game mechanics.

I'll pm you my address and if you can let me know shipping, I'll make a call...but either way, thank you very much for the very generous offer.

Cool. I'll try and getting shipping costs as quickly as I can. It might take me a day or three. This job thing keeps intruding on what's important.

judgedredd

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 02:52:07 PM
No problem. Whenever is convenient. Thank you so much.  :bigthumb: