Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LNLT - Digital release  (Read 12356 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #30 on: April 03, 2020, 09:38:46 PM
Sure! How’s 9 pm EDT tonight?

That should work. Do I need any of the DLC or is base game fine to start learning.

Sorry wife has different plans.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #31 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:12 PM
Lucky man!   :D :-*

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2020, 06:53:50 AM
Dammit! It so cheap.....but, I was never that keen on the board game system personally.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 07:08:44 AM
Holy revelation Batman.

Tell all bob...

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 07:24:31 AM
Being honest, its been a long time since I played it, so the rules may have been cleaned up since. In many ways, it shares the same problem that I have with most tac games insofar as it ignores (for the sake of playability, perhaps) proper CC, unit structure and cohesion. I also shudder when you things that say 'deploy 6 squads and 4 LMG's........).again totally ignoring the fact that almost all infantry squads of all nations, were built around the squad LMG, so a platoon didn't have 3 squads and only 2 LMG's for example.

The same thing happens with the leaders you are given, that you have to share out and takes no notice of actual command structures, so you have squads wondering over the map with no requirement to maintain unit cohesion at platoon / company level.

OK. I may be missing out on a fun game, and me being a bit of a one for realism at this level is maybe a bit over the top, but there we are.

judgedredd

Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 07:33:22 AM
Steam store is down anyway...getting nothing from the store page

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 07:40:24 AM
Try again - I'm in it OK

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2020, 07:42:36 AM
Being honest, its been a long time since I played it, so the rules may have been cleaned up since. In many ways, it shares the same problem that I have with most tac games insofar as it ignores (for the sake of playability, perhaps) proper CC, unit structure and cohesion. I also shudder when you things that say 'deploy 6 squads and 4 LMG's........).again totally ignoring the fact that almost all infantry squads of all nations, were built around the squad LMG, so a platoon didn't have 3 squads and only 2 LMG's for example.

The same thing happens with the leaders you are given, that you have to share out and takes no notice of actual command structures, so you have squads wondering over the map with no requirement to maintain unit cohesion at platoon / company level.

OK. I may be missing out on a fun game, and me being a bit of a one for realism at this level is maybe a bit over the top, but there we are.

Well you are correct about the CnC aspect. It shares this failing with every tactical game out there, except the Last Hundred Yards.

It is not like Squad Leader or ASL though with respect to LMGs though. There are none in the game, never were. The squads in LnLT are all built around the squad level LMG. There are medium MGs and heavy MGs that you can give to "platoons". The US troops are the only ones with extra squad level MGs, in the form of BAR support weapons. But they did historically sometimes overload a squad with extra firepower as required for mission.

But the the game play of LnLT was always meant to be a little more Hollywood than simulation with it's portrayal of leaders and heroes. It's fun Bob.  ;)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #38 on: April 04, 2020, 07:55:23 AM
Maybe my memory is at fault then, but I seem to recall in the 'old' version of the game there were separate assignable LMG counters? I'm looking at some of the counter sheets on BGG and there are definitely counters for MG42.

Yes, these are issues that apply to many tac level games, and I have said this in previous threads. Still, I may well buy it just to try it out again and maybe join the fun. I'm also a realist, and, being a long time wargames, fully appreciate that there are aspects of RL warfare which are difficult to model in game terms with out bogging down in rules.

I really enjoy games such as CoH and BoB, both of which are totally devoid of any attempt at CC or unit cohesion. I didn't say I was consistent :-)

judgedredd

Reply #39 on: April 04, 2020, 07:57:23 AM
I am heavily invested in LnL now with Heroes of the Nam, Heroes of the Falklands, Day of Heroes and the Solo expansion.

I will pick up Heroes of Normandy eventually.

judgedredd

Reply #40 on: April 04, 2020, 07:58:13 AM
Maybe my memory is at fault then, but I seem to recall in the 'old' version of the game there were separate assignable LMG counters? I'm looking at some of the counter sheets on BGG and there are definitely counters for MG42.

Yes, these are issues that apply to many tac level games, and I have said this in previous threads. Still, I may well buy it just to try it out again and maybe join the fun. I'm also a realist, and, being a long time wargames, fully appreciate that there are aspects of RL warfare which are difficult to model in game terms with out bogging down in rules.

I really enjoy games such as CoH and BoB, both of which are totally devoid of any attempt at CC or unit cohesion. I didn't say I was consistent :-)
I've just bought them...be nice to have someone in the same time zone to play against

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #41 on: April 04, 2020, 08:14:41 AM

I would not consider the MG42 a LMG. A medium or heavy MG.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 08:42:41 AM
The MG 34 and MG42 on a tripod mount are often considered a 'heavy' MG while the same on a bipod mount considered a medium/light since the Germans didn't really have a true light MG similar to the Bren or BAR (if you discount a few leftover MG15s from WW1).

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:21 AM
Both the MG34 and later MG42 were bipod mounted squad LMG's.

Both wepons as mounted on a tripod were the weapons used in the MG platoons of the support companies. Usually, the heavy weapons battalion consisted of the MG company with 12 'HMG' and 6 82mm Mortars. There as also a motorised AT company with 12 guns, and a IG company with 6 x 75mm IG's and 2 150mm SiG's

That would be the nearest 'standard' organisation although variations did exist.

Extract from Wikipedia

The versatile MG 34 was chambered for the full-power 7.92×57mm Mauser rifle cartridge, and was arguably the most advanced machine gun in the world at the time of its deployment.[8] The MG 34 was envisaged and well developed to provide portable light and medium machine gun infantry cover,

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 09:12:46 AM

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy