Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173629 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #705 on: May 10, 2021, 03:01:14 PM

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #706 on: May 10, 2021, 03:20:56 PM
I need those connections to get me their Pacific game.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #707 on: May 10, 2021, 03:23:58 PM
Excellent, 'geek - you have much gaming to catch up on. Did you add much to your Bolt Action collection?

Nerd club 1 shut down just before first lockdown and I thought that would be it for my social gaming and sold everything

Then a fellow homeless gamer told me about the new club which is a proper gaming centre and after a few games there it became new gaming place - however I was troopless and he’d sold all his because he was a self employed plasterer and needed the cash thru lockdown - so we looked for smaller skirmish games which are the two we play now

However, the makers of test of honour are currently play testing and showing off a very small skirmish game called 0 200 hours - a game of night raids focused on small arms commando raids fictional and real - inspiration from Hollywood including Kelly’s heroes and the guns of navarrone and the pc game commandos has already been put forward - very excited about this

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #708 on: May 10, 2021, 04:18:14 PM
That sounds interesting, let us know how it works out  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #709 on: May 11, 2021, 04:27:58 AM
Ok...I'm not 100% with the rules...probably not even 50% - but I've setup the first scenario with my best understanding.

It's Welcome to Braunschweig. Not alot to do in terms of commands in this one. The Russians are launching an attack and the allies have to hold and inflict some pain.

To that end, most of the soviet units are in MASL posture (march assault) which provides a decent movement rate and attacking ability. Assuming they have movement points left they can attack - 3 MPs left allows them to perform a Hasty Assault and 6 MPs left allows a Prepared Assault. I think I put their artillery in Close Support - again for movement and attack capabilities

For NATO, there are two units in SCR posture (screening). This allows them to create a ZoC 2 hexes from it's hex which slows down advancing units and allows those units to retreat before combat...all handy for lightly armoured recce units. The rest of the hardware is back at Braunschweig waiting for the onslaught. They are Rigid Defence giving good defensive bonuses  - though it does mean it's not allowed to retreat after combat and simply soaks up the punishment. Their artillery is in S&S (shoot & scoot) allowinf support but the ability to bug out if required.

This is a pretty heavy game. As I said, I don't have a full understanding of the rules - particularly the command structure and attachments etc - but I'm looking forward to my first foray into it - and I'll learn as I go. There's nothing really helpful in the way of videos or AARs out there - so I'm pretty much on my own with the help of Fabrizio who is very active on the BGG forums.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a quick AAR as I'm going pretty slow with this anyway - but not committed as yet

So here's the overall area with a close up of the units and AoO.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #710 on: May 16, 2021, 11:40:09 AM
No photos but got Memoir 44 to the table for some games with the kids. I really need to teach them to play C&C Napoleonics. I acquired a complete set fully and neatly stickered a couple of years ago in a board game trade.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #711 on: May 16, 2021, 05:24:50 PM
No photos but got Memoir 44 to the table for some games with the kids. I really need to teach them to play C&C Napoleonics. I acquired a complete set fully and neatly stickered a couple of years ago in a board game trade.

Thats awesome. After seeing this I broke my copy of M44 out and played with my 5 yr old. We've played half a dozen times now simplifying the rules a bit and just using the section cards and he loves it.  He is just starting to learn to read so I'm excited to work in the tactics cards once he is a bit more comfortable trying to read.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #712 on: May 16, 2021, 05:34:35 PM
Memoir is a great introductory wargame for kids. Simple rules, dice are easy to understand and explain, and the big arrows on the cards make the choices easier to make.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #713 on: July 26, 2021, 11:38:03 AM
 :dice:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #714 on: July 26, 2021, 03:29:26 PM
Nice.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #715 on: July 28, 2021, 10:26:48 PM
We currently have a 2000 piece puzzle on the table. I think it'll be there for a few more weeks if it survives cat and kid attacks.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #716 on: July 29, 2021, 02:58:57 AM
I would be mostly worried about the felines.  Things generally seem to be more kid-resistant than cat-resistant. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #717 on: July 30, 2021, 01:51:12 PM
I would be mostly worried about the felines.  Things generally seem to be more kid-resistant than cat-resistant.

Agreed.  One of my cats trampled a game of Liberty or Death that I had set up on my table a few years ago.  Since then I have learned to close the door to the room where I have a game setup on.

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #718 on: July 31, 2021, 05:51:15 PM
Cats are jerks. One of them liberated a piece to underneath the bed while the other provided a covering distraction.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #719 on: July 31, 2021, 06:02:05 PM
I'm not moving!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'