Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Elite Dangerous.  (Read 8809 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: September 13, 2018, 01:44:53 PM
I've been dragged back into this since I managed to get my old trusty Saitek X45 HoTaS working again and have sunk a good few hours into it.

Since my skills as a combat pilot are laughable to say the least, I've been doing data courier and delivery missions, and earned enough money to slowly move up the ship list. At present, I'm driving a beefed-up Python, and have amassed sufficient credits to buy and equip an Anaconda (147m Credits), but, I may hold off and keep working on my rep with the Feds to enable me to buy a Corvette, which, at present, is one of the biggest player-owned ships in the game. To be able to buy one, I need to achieve the rank of Rear Admiral and so far I'm just a Lt Commander.

Its still pretty addictive game, although the arly grind for money / rep can be a bit of a drag. At some point, and when its next in a sale, I'll add the 'Horizons' expansion which, amongst other stuff, give you planetary landing and an SUV, a few more ship types and the option of adding a 'drone' fighter  bay to larger ships.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:59:55 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:55:18 AM
Been seeing you in there Bob (as you know from our chat), makes me want to attempt myself. But I get so frustrated with all the mapping that has to be done!.. Then to have my track IR not work on top of that (I think it's cause I don't have it installed on C drive). I know you said you don't need TrackIR, but it's the principle!!!!  Someday, I'll get it going!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:00:56 AM
Its well worth the effort, honestly. ;)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:11:07 AM
I need to get a flight control stick one of these days and give this a go. It would be good for my flight sims as well.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:41:29 AM
People do play it with mouse and keyboard and others with console controllers, but a decent HotaS will do the job much better.

The Saitek X-55 is reported to be first choice, although its quite expensive.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 01:57:11 PM
This is the one I got, lots of buttons, with not 'too high' a price

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280080

then I have CH Rudder Pedals

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:01:54 PM
This is the one I got, lots of buttons, with not 'too high' a price

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280080

then I have CH Rudder Pedals

I've looked at that one before. It is more in my price range.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 02:31:41 PM
Yep, the Thrustmaster has lots of good reviews and is a good choice. Like my X-45, it has a rocker switch at the back of the slider which is handy if you don't have pedals. I prefer that rather than the twist action joysticks which most of the newer Saitek are.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 04:45:13 PM
Actually it has twist function if you don't have rudder pedals.. For Elite I was thinking another axis will always come in handy.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:57:49 AM
I am going back in when Chapter 4 hits.
My Fer de Lance stays safely docked until then.

It's a great game and a truely spectacular technical marvel, but I do hope Chapter 4 will bring more FUN to the game. As it is now it becomes generic and repetitive quite quickly and -for me at least- that hampers my ability to care for the factions I help.
They just differ in name and picture, but they are all the same under the hood.

Having that said, the feature list of Chapter 4 seems to be a good step forward again!