Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 29942 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #165 on: May 31, 2022, 04:02:48 PM
So after doing some further digging around (articles, forum/Reddit discussions, etc.), I'm starting to realize that I've completely misunderstood & underestimated the importance of characters in Old World. 

Rather than being the proverbial gravy accompanying an already flavorful meal, they are actually a fundamental part of the game's design.  Any ruler (and/or their court) with halfway-decent stats will provide massive bonuses to research, civics, culture, etc. -- far more so than any individual city (and buildings), or even all your cities combined in some cases.  As such, characters are absolutely critical to your empire's success (or failure).  Old World does give you the option of playing without characters, but by most accounts, you'd be playing only half the game in that case. 

I'm having fun playing IS:G at the moment, but I'm definitely going to swing back around to this one again, now that I have a (hopefully) better understanding of how integral characters are to the game.  I still don't know if Old World will suck me in like it has for others, but at least now I have a somewhat better idea of how I should approach it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #166 on: May 31, 2022, 04:49:41 PM
The review on RPS says for the first few turns don’t try and win don’t try and get it - just play and work out why things do what

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #167 on: May 31, 2022, 05:15:57 PM
The review on RPS says for the first few turns don’t try and win don’t try and get it - just play and work out why things do what

Isn’t that the way with any game?  ???

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #168 on: May 31, 2022, 05:38:29 PM
Oooooo errrr well not for me - when I press start game I’m in it to get to the end with a perfect empire and glorious spaceships or armies - muddling thru would drive me insane

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #169 on: May 31, 2022, 06:22:35 PM
I kind of agree with RPS in this case. My brain just can’t take all of the detail, so some winging it is necessary. There is just so much info in Old World...it’s incredible.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #170 on: May 31, 2022, 11:37:54 PM
I used to approach games more like 'geek's hardcore style, but I've admittedly eased up a bit over the last decade or so. 

The urge to play to win -- even on my very first go with a new game -- is definitely still there.  However, I've also since learned to relax somewhat, and that it's okay to screw off while I  enjoy playing around with a new game's features & mechanics.  It seems to have made my gaming experience a more enjoyable one overall. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #171 on: June 01, 2022, 03:12:09 AM
I've admitted lately that i just ain't any good at new games and am playing them on the easiest difficulty in order to learn them. I used to start on medium but was usually beaten up badly for a while before i understood what i was doing.   :whistle:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #172 on: June 01, 2022, 05:34:35 AM
^That is usually my preferred method as well.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #173 on: June 01, 2022, 05:40:24 AM
Totally depends on the game for me. If I'm playing some kind of story-heavy action game, like Bioshock for example, I'll play on easy because I want to (more or less) guarantee I'll see the whole story.

In a strategy game I'll play on easy to learn the game, but then assuming I get good enough, I'll ramp up the difficulty in subsequent playthroughs to maintain a challenge.

At the far end of the scale, simulations are what I'm best at, so it's always 100% realism for me. If the real world pilot/driver/etc doesn't have it, I don't have it either. :)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #174 on: June 01, 2022, 09:06:56 AM
I have learned that the Old World AI at the 2nd or 3rd difficulty setting is smarter than me.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #175 on: June 02, 2022, 05:27:56 AM

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #176 on: June 02, 2022, 06:02:17 AM
That's fast! :bigthumb:

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #177 on: June 03, 2022, 09:36:38 PM
Finally finished the tutorials and liking what I'm seeing so far. The music really adds some great atmosphere!

Now I'm trying to decide what I should do for my first game. Should I go with one of the scenarios or just a full blown game?

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #178 on: June 03, 2022, 09:41:44 PM
I tried a random game and had many false starts just learning how to set one up...the menus are less than intuitive. Last night I finally got a good game going as Assyria vs. Babylon.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #179 on: June 06, 2022, 09:56:10 PM
I tried a random game and had many false starts just learning how to set one up...the menus are less than intuitive. Last night I finally got a good game going as Assyria vs. Babylon.

Started a random game as the Hittites and was plugging along learning as I went and managing to somewhat understand what I was doing. But then my leader died and it hit the fan and now I'm not sure how but my original leader's 4th granddaughter is now Queen in waiting after "letting" her father be the regent till she comes of age. Oh and I turned down a marriage proposal from the Gauls and now they are loitering at my border with some unfriendly looking fellows.

There is alot going on in this game but I'm enjoying bumbling my way through.