Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Post your screenshots! Share your game stories!  (Read 53884 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 12:37:21 AM
^  I forbid it!  I need someone to share in my rage against the nuTrek!  :kling: 

That was my most recent game of ASL.  The scenario had the Russians counterattacking the Germans in a village outside Moscow in February 1942.  To win, the Russians had to take two of the two-hex buildings in the center.  The Russians had a strong force of stout elite units and partisans, but not many support weapons.  The Germans had a moderate force, but had to defend along the entire top and right edge, so they were initially spread pretty thin.  Snow on the ground slowed movement. 

The Russians put pressure on the Germans on the right, top, and left, and turn-by-turn collapsed the defense.  I was playing the Germans, and with a half turn to go, I thought I was sitting pretty with two medium machine guns, two squads, and a leader defending the top victory building, and a couple of squads, a light machine gun, and a leader defending the lower building.  I also had the 20L flak gun out front, and a 1st line squad on the left.  That should have been impregnable, especially with those MMGs, but the dice were not my side and those stupid machine guns shot nerf and the defenders wet their pants instead of doing what they were paid to do: kill the commie bastards.  The 20L crew and the squad on the left had too much schnapps and also managed to avoid actually hitting anything.  Despite this disappointing display of defiant defense, the tattered remnants of a squad managed to hold on to one hex in the lower building, and another squad in the upper building was locked in melee, preventing the Russians from controlling that building.  No Iron Crosses were awarded, but nonetheless, it was a win for the Germans.

Here is a representative picture of the German 20L gun in the center of the map.

Very cool!  Sounds like a properly tense scenario. 

Although...given you managed to win despite RNJesus apparently hating your guts, it seems like the Soviet side would have a hard time succeeding in this one regardless.  Yes?  No? 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:48:20 AM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 06:31:49 AM

Although...given you managed to win despite RNJesus apparently hating your guts, it seems like the Soviet side would have a hard time succeeding in this one regardless.  Yes?  No?

I'd say it's a pretty balanced scenario, and the results in ROAR also show it to be balanced.  My opponent thought he should've been more aggressive, and maybe if he had he would've attrited me more and not allowed me to be a strong defensive position at the end.  As the attacker, he has to move, and the special snow rule that slowed movement bit him in the ass a few times.  And despite my grumbling about luck turning against me on the last turn, if I was objective I should admit that I might've been on the better side of luck earlier in the game, which contributed to me being able to be in the strong position at the end.  My opponent did masterfully place a demo charge on a key stack of my units, but he rolled high on the attack and I managed to survive without a scratch.  But then next turn, he nailed those units on a low firepower shot, so who knows?

But yeah, it was tense.  Games that come down to the last turn are the best!  I went from being full of confidence to biting my nails.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 09:44:27 AM
Markok, are you using the 2.8 test version.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 10:58:57 AM
I'd say it's a pretty balanced scenario, and the results in ROAR also show it to be balanced.  My opponent thought he should've been more aggressive, and maybe if he had he would've attrited me more and not allowed me to be a strong defensive position at the end.  As the attacker, he has to move, and the special snow rule that slowed movement bit him in the ass a few times.  And despite my grumbling about luck turning against me on the last turn, if I was objective I should admit that I might've been on the better side of luck earlier in the game, which contributed to me being able to be in the strong position at the end.  My opponent did masterfully place a demo charge on a key stack of my units, but he rolled high on the attack and I managed to survive without a scratch.  But then next turn, he nailed those units on a low firepower shot, so who knows?

But yeah, it was tense.  Games that come down to the last turn are the best!  I went from being full of confidence to biting my nails.

Awesome!  Yeah, those kinds of battles/scenarios are great (nerve-wracking as they are).  :) 

Markok, are you using the 2.8 test version.

Nope, still playing v2.1.3 (with mods). 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:04:58 AM by Martok »

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 12:18:56 PM
???
WTF? Maybe it's time I thought about moving on from here.

No, sorry, I was just in a smart ass/jack ass mood last night.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 03:17:54 PM
???
WTF? Maybe it's time I thought about moving on from here.

No, sorry, I was just in a smart ass/jack ass mood last night.

Same  :-[

Plus you can't leave I need someone enabling the solo player in me against all the solo haters out there.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 04:05:34 PM
I'm not going anywhere yet, you'd know if I did decide to leave. I wasn't in the best mood either last night.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 11:01:53 PM
Another marauder clan was hired to invade my territory (argh!).  They gave me the same ultimatum as their previous (and unfortunate) "colleagues", which I likewise rejected.  Soon afterwards, sensors picked up their fleet headed towards my borders.  In response, the Yv'Zorak 3rd Fleet was deployed to the Barthheart system, its location being the key to securing the eastern half of the newly-established Dragoons sector.  The stage was set for the Battle of Barthheart II. 

Both sides fire their opening salvos.  On the right, the marauders continue to make heavy use of auto-cannons (particularly on their Outrider-class raiders), along with the usual lasers and railguns.  On the left, my ships are likewise sporting lasers and railguns (both newly-upgraded), and -- for the first time -- disruptors.  Disruptors do less damage, but they penetrate both shields and armor; they're pretty nice to have overall. 

The fight rages above the uninhabited planet Barthheart II, which rotates serenely unaware of the struggle taking place only several thousand kilometers beyond its lethally toxic atmosphere.  In the center, a Yv'Zorak destroyer and an enemy frigate barely miss colliding into each other.  (Knowing the marauders, it's entirely possible they tried ramming the destroyer on purpose.) 

A couple of my destroyers circle around the heaviest fighting in an attempt to flank the marauders while still taking fire.  While not as effective as their auto-cannons, the sheer number of enemy lasers and (especially) railguns is taking its toll; I've lost quite a few ships to them. 

I entered this battle with the superior force -- but only on paper.  In addition to the aforementioned auto-cannons and particle beams, there's the problem that the marauders have cruisers...and I don't.  Here, we see one of them shrugging off a group of Yv'Zorak corvettes attempting to harry it. 

Two more enemy cruisers in action.  It may not be apparent in this shot, but they're absolutely pounding my fleet.  They've actually begun turning the tide, and I'm now in real danger of losing this battle.  This could be...bad. 

Thankfully, the enemy admiral makes a crucial mistake:  They decide to simultaneously engage Fort Vance, the starbase guarding the Barthheart system, while still mopping up my fleet.  (Not sure how obvious it is, but some of the weapons fire on the left is coming from the starbase.)  Fort Vance packs a bigger punch than I think the marauders were expecting... 

Victory -- again...but at a far greater cost this time. 

[Note to self:  Must.  Research.  Cruisers.] 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 07:26:08 AM
 :bigthumb: Ft. Vance FTW!

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 07:29:38 PM

Heh, yep.  They definitely pulled my feet out of the fire that time!  Thanks to the valiant efforts of 3rd Fleet and Ft. Vance, the marauders were stopped from ravaging nearby systems, including Anguille, Cyrano, Panzerde, Stelgrav, and Tuna.  8) 

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 08:48:10 AM

Heh, yep.  They definitely pulled my feet out of the fire that time!  Thanks to the valiant efforts of 3rd Fleet and Ft. Vance, the marauders were stopped from ravaging nearby systems, including Anguille, Cyrano, Panzerde, Stelgrav, and Tuna.  8)

Those aren't Klingon names!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 09:38:41 AM
A bit of an anti-climax.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 11:12:10 AM
We played two turns of an ASL scenario yesterday.  The Americans have to capture one of two victory hexes, denoted by the red counter.  The Germans have to prevent this.  I'm playing the Germans.

In this scenario, the challenge for the Germans is to defend a broad front, and keep the Americans out of *both* victory hexes.  This means they are strung out a bit trying to guess where the Americans will attack.  The Americans have a a lot of firepower, and they can choose their attack vector.  The Germans do get some good reinforcements, but not until the 3rd turn, and the reinforcements enter in the lower part of the board.  When I set up the Germans, I kept this mind and made the left side a little weaker.  I also figured the stone buildings would help me on defense.

Well, that was the plan.  Stone buildings are great, until the opening artillery barrage (a special scenario rule) pins my forward defense.  Then the Americans massed their forces on the left side and took some high firepower shots at defenders in stone buildings, which broke them, then attrited them to vapor.  They were sacrificial but were barely a speed bump, and I lost a good leader.  The Americans are making good progress on the left side, and the way their units are positioned, my reinforcements are going to have a hard time entering unscathed.  The few defending forces I have there don't have much firepower.  I have managed to stymie the American attack on the right side, and I also repulsed the attack in the center, but my defenses on the right are thin with no depth.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 03:03:49 PM
Those aren't Klingon names!

Neither are the rest of these.  (Of course, I'm not playing as a Klingon in this game either.)  :biggrin: 

The Newcastle system (guarded by the starbase Fort Bawb) sits closest to the sector's "geographical" center, with the sector capital of Guillory just a hyper-jump to the southwest of it.  To the west of Guillory, the Banzai system boasts a habitable planet not yet colonized (it's on my "to-do" list).  Up north, the strategic importance of the Panzerde system will soon increase by a couple orders of magnitude, as I'm currently researching the necessary technology to traverse the Gateway located there.  8)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 03:08:03 PM
A bit of an anti-climax.

Hey, at least it's a happy ending.  :peace: 

Which game is that, by the way? 

We played two turns of an ASL scenario yesterday.  The Americans have to capture one of two victory hexes, denoted by the red counter.  The Germans have to prevent this.  I'm playing the Germans.

In this scenario, the challenge for the Germans is to defend a broad front, and keep the Americans out of *both* victory hexes.  This means they are strung out a bit trying to guess where the Americans will attack.  The Americans have a a lot of firepower, and they can choose their attack vector.  The Germans do get some good reinforcements, but not until the 3rd turn, and the reinforcements enter in the lower part of the board.  When I set up the Germans, I kept this mind and made the left side a little weaker.  I also figured the stone buildings would help me on defense.

Well, that was the plan.  Stone buildings are great, until the opening artillery barrage (a special scenario rule) pins my forward defense.  Then the Americans massed their forces on the left side and took some high firepower shots at defenders in stone buildings, which broke them, then attrited them to vapor.  They were sacrificial but were barely a speed bump, and I lost a good leader.  The Americans are making good progress on the left side, and the way their units are positioned, my reinforcements are going to have a hard time entering unscathed.  The few defending forces I have there don't have much firepower.  I have managed to stymie the American attack on the right side, and I also repulsed the attack in the center, but my defenses on the right are thin with no depth.

So is the lesson here that stone buildings in this scenario are really a trap?  (Did you even have a better choice, given the circumstances?)