Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Fields of Fire  (Read 6303 times)

judgedredd

on: September 07, 2021, 11:24:43 AM
Excellent breakdown of Fields of Fire in this video.

It's 3 hours long - but very comprehensive and shows the game off very well.

Made me want to get the damn thing back out because the game was very, very excellent.

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 02:57:59 AM
Nice. I'm also interested in playing FoF again, but break into a cold sweat just thinking about past struggles with that rulebook. A comprehensive overview of the system before I start might just do the trick. Will bookmark this vid for my next set of graveyard shifts.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 03:53:10 AM
The rule book was tough for sure.

This is very detailed in it's explanation - it's slow - but very methodical. a great help and if you "know" the rules, this will help immensely because it reinforces what you already "know"

I'm really enjoying my World at War '85 games - but this is really making it difficult for me to stay with WaW - I desperately want to get this on the table again.

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 04:55:35 AM
It's been 10 years since I last played FoF, so will require a complete read through of the rules. Do you happen to know if version 2 of the rulebook is completely compatible with version 1 kit?

I'm hoping the new rulebook is more comprehensive than the original. I remember having to search the Internet a crazy number of times when I was uncertain about situations. So many details just weren't addressed in the rulebook. I'm sure there is a lot more Q&A out there now compared to when it was first released, but would rather not have to go there. I recall the designer was pretty good at answering questions, but was deployed a good amount of the time.

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 05:03:23 AM
It's been 10 years since I last played FoF, so will require a complete read through of the rules. Do you happen to know if version 2 of the rulebook is completely compatible with version 1 kit?

I'm hoping the new rulebook is more comprehensive than the original. I remember having to search the Internet a crazy number of times when I was uncertain about situations. So many details just weren't addressed in the rulebook. I'm sure there is a lot more Q&A out there now compared to when it was first released, but would rather not have to go there. I recall the designer was pretty good at answering questions, but was deployed a good amount of the time.
As far as I recall, the answer was yes - you can use the rulebook from v2 for the v1 game. I asked the same question a year ago and the answer was yes.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 10:00:55 AM
FWIW, there's a Fields of Fire Boot Camp website devoted to getting players better access to the rules. Check it out if you have a chance.

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
I'm going to have to pack up WaW...I need to get back to this.

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 10:41:41 AM
FWIW, there's a Fields of Fire Boot Camp website devoted to getting players better access to the rules. Check it out if you have a chance.

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/
Thanks  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 11:17:20 AM
This is an excellent playthrough also.

Looks like he used a potato to film it - but he explains things very well and his videos are easy to follow

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 03:06:58 PM
I couldn't help it.

The excitement of drawing terrain, resolving potential enemy contact and the joy of finding there's none - or the dread of finding out it's a bunker with an MG or an ambush putting 3 units on two different terrain cards, the excitement of drawing cards for command points and being destroyed when you see you've got 2 - for a green commander or seeing a 5 turn up, the tension when you are looking for a CONTACT sign on the command cards when resolving an enemy contact and the relief seeing none show up

It's all too much  ;D

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 12:58:37 PM
Man - this game punishes the stupid!

I just moved my 1st Platoon onto a card with a spotter - confident that I'd be able to get him with a grenade attack. Unfortunately, although the grenade attack was successful, during his event phase he vacated the card and the grenade turned into a miss. -2 (exposed) and -1 (grenade miss) and +2 terrain gave a -1 NCM

Platoon CO is down, 1st squad suffered a casualty and a litter team, 2nd squad suffered a casualty, 3rd squad was pinned, mortar was fine, bazooka was pinned and MG was a casualty.

I was so focused on getting him away so I could move forward, I forgot about the danger of a missed grenade attack on exposed units

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 04:42:31 PM
Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 01:02:47 AM
Aye - indeed.

My 1st Platoon is a mess. Only 3rd Squad is intact. Everyone else is broken into fire teams (not a cohesive unit), paralysed or injured. I lost my mortar team last night too!

The second mission is slow progress. 5 rows and they ALL have to be cleared of enemy forces. It's turn 5 and I've only just started to climb onto row 3

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 04:48:49 PM
This has turned into a right mess.

I was doing ok...but the Germans got a Counter Attack event and now I have Germans crawling all over my arse.

Red are German VoFs (volume of fire) and PDFs (primary direction of fire).
White is my CO and 2 litter teams (I think the Germans attacking them have to switch to combat the fire team that just moved onto the German card)
Purple is my Co 1st Sgt
Yellow is my 1st Platoon (and fire team) - which had been hammered and was starting to recover.
Green is 2nd Platoon (and fire team) who have faired much better.
Blue is my 3rd Platoon who have faired best.

I've lost the XO because he had to be reconstituted into the CO who had become a fire team!

It's all went to hell in a hand basket

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 04:14:23 AM
I heard GMT is currently working on a propper rewrite of the rules, which are a pain. Unteil then, there are some awesome player-made rewrites on BGG which help alot, if you don't want to jump back and forth through this concatenation of concepts.

I should finally continue my campaign...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:43:26 AM by LetsPlayHistory »

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!