Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TROY: A Total War Saga  (Read 27651 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #75 on: December 01, 2021, 10:31:16 PM
Interesting; according to Cody, this is going to be the final DLC for Troy.  (And given he's one of CA's "affiliates", he would likely know.)  I really hope this doesn't mean the end of the game's development, as otherwise it would imply it's going to be left massively imbalanced in favor of the Trojan factions. 

The Ethiopians were a power that far back?? Wow.

I'm not sure how true that really is, to be honest.  Information on them during the Bronze Age seems to be rather thin. 

In the game, Memnon is a vassal of the Pharaoh, which would imply the Aethiopians (or at least those who followed Memnon) *weren't* a major power at the time.  Knowing CA, however, I'm guessing they more or less made that up, albeit having based the decision on some obscure reference/source of information they came across.  (CA does seem to do a fair bit of research into their subject matter, even if it's not exactly rigorous.)  So whether or not Aethiopia really was a vassal state of Egypt back then, or a powerful nation in its own right, remains anyone's guess. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #76 on: December 02, 2021, 11:22:59 AM
Interesting...I wouldn't be totally shocked either way. You know what they say...don't F with Ethiopia. They've been saying that a long time I suppose.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #77 on: December 02, 2021, 02:47:54 PM
^  Indeed. 

Another video/trailer.  This one dishes out a bit more detail on Rhesus & Memnon, as well as some of the new features coming in the accompanying free update. 

I suspect Memnon is going to be a particularly interesting challenge to play.  Not only is he a Horde faction, but he appears to be reliant (at least to a degree) on reinforcements from the Pharaoh.  Reminds me a bit of the Mongols in the Warlord Edition of the original Shogun: Total War. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #78 on: December 07, 2021, 02:53:44 AM
He seems pretty badass overall.  Hopefully he lasts long enough to actually get into the fighting this time.  ;D 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #79 on: December 07, 2021, 04:44:10 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how he does as a horde faction, although I do like how CA has implemented them in Troy. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #80 on: December 09, 2021, 09:41:33 PM
Not gonna lie, Memnon is looking pretty dope.  His campaign mechanics are looking pretty decent too. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #81 on: December 10, 2021, 04:40:06 PM
This is probably my favorite trailer so far... 

I have to say, though, that all this is starting to make me hungry for a full-on Bronze Age: Total War.  I think CA really needs to get on that.  :D 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #82 on: December 11, 2021, 10:06:19 PM
They really seem to be dropping development and support for their titles much sooner than they did in the past.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #83 on: December 12, 2021, 04:29:56 PM
True. At least a few of the TW games get long term support from community modding, though.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #84 on: December 12, 2021, 10:24:11 PM
They really seem to be dropping development and support for their titles much sooner than they did in the past.

Oh, definitely.  CA stated they were ending support for Three Kingdoms barely two years after it was released -- and by most indications, it was still doing well in pretty much every metric.  Then in the past two weeks, they also announced the end of support for both Troy (a game released only a year ago, and doing well enough to warrant multiple DLC's) and Rome: Remastered, a game released barely six months ago. 

By pretty much all appearances, the Warhammer series is the only one that's going to receive any sort of long-term support from CA.  I don't know what variables all factored into that decision, but it has me concerned either way. 

True. At least a few of the TW games get long term support from community modding, though.

Yes.  However, I think CA has become too reliant on that fact. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #85 on: December 13, 2021, 01:03:01 AM
I am sure Warhammer is a cash cow compared to most of the historical games they have released recently. They need to go back to Medieval Total War and follow it up with a new Rome Total War. The Saga's are great IMO which cover some really interesting periods but they just seem to come up short most times. They should just release them as mega expansions to a larger game.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #86 on: December 13, 2021, 10:54:28 AM
^That's how they started, with Fall of the Samurai, before actually re-branding it a 'saga.'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #87 on: December 13, 2021, 11:52:15 PM
Patch notes for the update/FLC dropping alongside the Rhesus/Memnon release tomorrow: 

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-troy-patch-170-notes-rhesus-memnon/

it looks like a good list.  I'm honestly pretty impressed by all the new features, improvements, fixes, etc. 

If this really is to be the last major update for Troy, at least CA doesn't appear to be skimping on it. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #88 on: December 14, 2021, 03:27:08 PM
Now that the Rhesus & Memnon DLC has dropped, CA has also announced an "Ultimate" edition for Troy as well. 

https://store.troy.totalwar.com/en/editions

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #89 on: December 14, 2021, 07:31:41 PM
Well, I guess I know which edition I will now be waiting for to go on sale.