Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173425 times)

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #945 on: October 08, 2022, 09:35:10 PM
^ Did you play that copy of Jutland on your floor with all the measuring gauges and things?
CGSB as WE-uns had an 'Hexagonal' card table so, you too should due likewise JUST as thus! It sure was 'exciting' for when nearby 'Fleets' shall "sail into the fray" and emerge as any's 'salvation'! It was also good for "Bismark II", "Chariot Races", etc. oh, "Star Fleet Battles"!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #946 on: October 08, 2022, 10:44:08 PM
^ Did you play that copy of Jutland on your floor with all the measuring gauges and things?

:bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #947 on: October 09, 2022, 11:29:29 AM
Awesome!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #948 on: October 15, 2022, 02:36:36 PM
It's not going fantastic. I wasn't really keeping in my head the Allied or German victory objectives and as such I've not maximised my first turn in terms of combat or movement for BOTH sides.

I know it's only the first turn, but I'm now kind of starting off on the back foot - but for both sides so maybe that will even shit out  :doh:

Turns are pretty fast on this. There's not a massive chit count (at least at the start) so the phases during the first turn have gone quite fast. I don't like the small counters or the fact the map coordinates are so small...but I'll live with it.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #949 on: October 29, 2022, 04:09:54 PM
This should be, "what's on your friend's table". Trying Outer Rim this afternoon. I have Lando, so we'll see how well this goes.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #950 on: November 03, 2022, 03:46:14 AM
Well the game looks nice, for sure.  How's it actually play? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #951 on: November 05, 2022, 11:50:48 PM
Well the game looks nice, for sure.  How's it actually play?

It plays well, or at least I enjoyed it. Lando isn't that great at ground combat and he makes up for it by having skills such as influence, knowledge and piloting. He also has an ability to re-roll one die after you roll the dice for any reason, so that's nice. Players travel to planets, looking for jobs, cargo to deliver, or bounties to bring in and then they try to complete those tasks to earn fame points and credits. First player to 10 fame points wins. The credits are used for buying gear, ships, cargo and bribes, etc. There are also cards that represent, gear, weapons and crew you can collect to increase your chances of success. Players can also take actions to help or hinder other players. We mostly hindered each other and it lead to some fun situations. In many ways, completing a task, like delivering cargo, or collecting a bounty is like a small quest. Die rolls determine almost all the outcomes, so if random results isn't something you enjoy, you probably won't like this game. We played for about 5 hours, (we are still new to this game, so I'm guessing we played slower than people familiar with the game system) and didn't quite finish the game before we had to end.

The only negative criticism we have is about the cards. The font on the cards is way too small and the color of the font is too faint. One of the players has low vision and found the cards nearly impossible to read.

Best part was, I won! I had 8 fame points and two other players had 7 when it was time to stop. I'm attaching a pic of Lando's card plus ship to show what I'd accumulated over the course of the game.

judgedredd

Reply #952 on: November 07, 2022, 02:55:52 PM

Honestly, much more enjoyable than I was expecting.

judgedredd

Reply #953 on: November 19, 2022, 05:47:28 AM
BIG battle. 4 Stugs, 5 Fireflys and 5 Cromwells

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #954 on: November 19, 2022, 11:45:01 AM
Outer Rim is a good game. The solo mode is my only experience with it, and the bot is merciless. I played it a few times but have yet to win it, lol.

I did get the expansion for it, but I've yet to try it.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #955 on: November 19, 2022, 01:13:14 PM
The older girls and I have been "battling" over who can create the greatest trade network in the Roman empire playing Concordia. It is a Euro but I like to pretend my colonies are fortresses and my colonists are armies. You know to wargame it up a little bit. Let me tell you the level of eye-rolling goes to an extreme when Dad starts to go off about Ceasar's armies conquering Iberia and Gaul...I should make a CRT for the game...

Next up is another Euro. Hansa Teutonica. It's a great game but much harder to makeup wargame sidebar imaginations for...

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #956 on: November 20, 2022, 09:28:19 AM
Finally have Nemesis on my table, with all my 3D printed upgraded pieces!

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #957 on: November 20, 2022, 08:27:06 PM
Finally found time to get Salerno '43 to the table. The British establishing a nice beachhead.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #958 on: November 21, 2022, 05:59:22 AM
 :bigthumb:

Usually the Germans get there first and claim all the deckchairs.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

pixelgeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #959 on: November 21, 2022, 05:16:03 PM
No photos but I have next scenario in my Space Infantry campaign game ready to play and I am in the midst of playing the Out of the Mist scenario for World at War 85.

Thank goodness neither of them takes up a lot of space