Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON..........No Retreat (GMT)  (Read 3478 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: August 02, 2023, 07:26:53 AM
This is a popular series from GMT by designer Carl Paradis, with 4 games already published and one more inP500, these being as follows;

The Russian From - now in its 3rd printing, apparently.
The North African Front.
The Italian Front.
The French and Polish fronts.
The Western front 1944-45 (P500 'made the cut').

I have only played the 'North Africa' game, since I have always had an interest in the campaign, and it comes with a smaller 'bonus' Crete mini-game. I will admit to being a bit tempted by the Italian Campaign since there are not that many games around that deal with the full campaign. This also included a Sicily min-game.

Without doubt, the standard of the components are, as you would expect, first class, with nice chunky counters and mounted maps and good supporting material.

However, what let it down for me personally is the disjointed way the game works by moving from one map section to another. Now, in theory, this is a great idea since any game on the subject has to include a long map if it is to show all the relevant bits - most inconvenient from a wargaming point of view! Whilst this works, I found it to be a bit off-putting by not being able to look at all the map at once. One of the attractions for me is seeing all the well known locations and taking in the distances that have to be covered.

The other point is that somehow, the campaign at Divisional level just seems too...grainy....for want of a better description. I like to see all those familiar sub-units that you find with other games on the subject.

And, last of all, I felt that the system is too card-driven for my personal taste and somewhat slowed the flow of the game down, especially for solo play.

But, there are some quite nice mechanics in the game, so I accept that some of the above negative aspects are not really failure of the games, but are just at odds with my own preferences. It is. as always a very subjective thing.

So, who plays any of these games, and what are you views?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 11:46:33 AM
I've not played any of them, so I would definitely be interested in hearing people's views! :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 11:55:08 AM
Yes.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 08:51:58 PM
I have the Russian Front but sadly have only played a few turns and not gotten back to it. Its in the ever growing pile to try and get back to the table.   I will echo the point about the components. They were all very well done and looked great set out on the table.