Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: And Thus it is Written...........................or is it?  (Read 4012 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Anyone who has played board wargames will, I feel sure, at some point or other come across a rule or maybe more, that either left us confused, baffled and or just plain old perplexed. No matter how many times we read it, for some reason, it just does not scan. Fortunately, these days, we have various places such as BGG or yes, even CSW, where we can post our pathetic plea's for enlightenment.

Generally, this does the trick as there is almost always some smart arse, clever bugger, gamer who will be able to provide an answer. In many cases, this person may well be the designer or developer of the game, some of whom are quite active and only too pleased to help. Kudos to them, says I, for helping to dispel the fall-out from our brain-farts.

But, there is a darker side to this tale of woe.

Its the game that you have played solo for a long time, and where you are quite happy that every bit of it is fully understood, and your understanding of it is, therefore, perfect.

Until, that is, you first play it with someone F2F or on Vassal.

On doing an action, the first sign is that awkward pause from the other side of the table, followed by the, usually, diplomatic worded enquiry as to if or not you have done that correctly? 'Only I've always thought it meant this.............'

Consternation followed by confusion, and, eventually, embarrassment  when the penny drops and you realise that you've been doing it wrong for like, ever!

It does show how people are quite capable of interpreting rules in a different way, especially if that rule is a bit on the ambiguous side to start with! I've even had the experience of having to gently correct a gaming buddy of many years who prevailed upon me to learn a game series that he has been deep into for a long time.
He plays it, a lot, on Vassal with beings from all over the known universe, and, no one question the fact that at least two rules were being played incorrectly, and I found them on almost my first playing! Amazing.

Anyone had similar experiences that they are willing to share with us?

We won't laugh, honest.

...ok, maybe a quiet snigger...........
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:30:09 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Putraack

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 08:30:22 PM
A small one on my part. For several years, my brother and I had played the Eastern Front monster-games Fire in the East and Scorched Earth, and we'd always rolled 1 weather die per weather zone. In My first Origins & Europafest, I discovered it's "roll one die and apply it to all weather zones."

I bet there's a handful in Star Fleet Battles when I joined my current group, but that was so long ago, I can't remember what I'd been missing.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:19:34 AM
Wonderful. My buddies and I also played those monsters. The air rules alone were virtually a separate game.  Five of us played once or twice a week as one of my buddies had a room where it could be set-up and left. I remember that it often took several hours just to complete one turn. We did not ever finish a complete game.

Happy days, apparently. ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:30:40 PM by bob48 »

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 04:38:03 PM
Great idea for a thread.

I like to just stay with the way I thought what the rule said.  Even if later I discover being wrong all along.  At that point I'll compare what the rule really meant vs. how I thought it should be implemented.  Which ever of the two is more pleasing to my connection to the game will prevail. 

I have only played against another human being in person on a physical copy of a wargame once in my life.  Although I do remember having great fun teaching my opponent how to play (he was a noob), I pretty much never played a physical in person game again with another person. 

A). I like to play my games the way I like to play my games and I have yet to find someone on this god forsaken planet who thinks like me

B). It is extremely hard to find someone in my local area to game with and even if I found someone there is always A). above as well as each others' time constraints

C). Vassal, TTS, and anything else online is a great way to play against a human but again, I ultimately just want to be left alone to play my beloved games the way I want to play them.  No one understands me anyway...

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 04:42:10 PM
As long as we get enjoyment out of playing a game, as long as it satisfies us as a gamer, then that is all that matters. Not everyone wants, or is able, to play against other people. :bigthumb:

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 08:26:09 AM
 :)

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 01:43:12 PM
......No one understands me anyway...

Join the club.  :bigthumb:

Here's a hug to help you get by.  :hug:

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 02:32:39 PM
......but you need to roll 8 or more on 2D6 first.

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 05:01:10 PM
Thank you Doctor Quest!  Hugs always help.   :)

8 on a 2D6 you say Bob?  Well those odds don't sound bad, but with my luck I'll probably roll snake eyes.   ;D

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 07:57:31 PM
It's not a board wargame, but, I used to play the Battletech Trading Card Game.  The rulebook wasn't large and the concepts were pretty easy to suss out.  However, and I wish I could remember the exact rule, there was one rule regarding attack and what was a legal target that didn't seem to be clear.  I was playing against my uncle and he tried to do something and I couldn't fathom how he had interpreted the rule in such a manner.  So, we went to the rulebook and after hashing it out, I saw where he was coming from. I still talked him around to my way, but, I at least could see why he thought the way he did.  ;)

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 02:05:00 AM
If any of you want to know about rules that have been misinterpreted, read the original Fields of Fire...play some games then read the latest version of the rules.

You'll realise there wasn't a single, solitary rule you played right in your first set of games.

I've no experience like you all because I don't play head to head...but I do know the original FoF rulebook meant you were playing pretty much the whole game wrong.

The guys who have rewritten it have done a great job. Though I still think the index is weak

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 05:44:00 AM
You and I have played on Vassal occasionally, though JD.  ::)