Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Rembrandt, or Pollock?  (Read 1391 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: December 18, 2023, 03:22:02 PM
I refer, of course, to maps. More specifically, to wargame maps.

Over the years, from the early days of the likes of SPI, who's colour palette was more-or-less confined to a white background, with blue and black, and, if you were lucky, maybe some splodges of green or brown. Obviously, just as with counters, rule books and other in-game paraphernalia, technology has provided a means of giving us some extremely good examples of the artist talents.  Mind you, there are always exception.

So, what are our own personal favourites? Those which we deem good enough to frame and hang on the wall, in fact, and those which we feel only rate a  'poor effort - try and do better next time'.

As ever, naturally, this is all subjective and therefore we may not always agree, but, nevertheless, I hereby solicit your views, and some examples and what you like/dislike about them.

For me, I would have to say the the maps in the 'Crossing the Line' games from VUCA SIMS are top of my list as I do think that they are rather splendid.
In general, I would have to admit that the maps in OST, big and awkward size though they are, are really rather good.

One of the most hideous map that springs to mind, was that in the 'Beyond Normandy' game, part of the Panzer Grenadier' series. Tree-lined roads that looked very much like the zipper on a item of clothing, and bocage that resembled nothing more than paint squeezed from a tube. Bloody awful!

I also shudder when I remember trying to set up scenarios for the ATS (Advanced Tobruk System) game, since it consisted only of a blank map on which you had to position a myriad (or so it seemed) of thin overlays. yes, you could use bits of blue-tac, and, if you were fortunate enough to have one, a perspex sheet to bung over the whole mess. All-in-all, a right old carry-on and very frustrating.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 04:49:32 PM
I'm pretty happy with the ASL maps (and I'm sure nobody is surprised to hear that).  I don't care for the overly realistic or artistic maps that are popular now, at least for some tactical games.  Those will show contours and lots of shades of colors.  I'll use them, but I still prefer simpler maps like the ASL maps.  A module for ASL was recently published (not by MMP), and there was some mild criticism that there were shadows on the map.  Shadows!  Can you believe it!

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 04:55:10 PM
 ;D

GaryMc

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 04:58:38 PM
I think my map choices are shaped by the fact that I prefer higher level games (Strategic and Operational.)  So, for me, a map like AH era War and Peace or Third Reich is what I "grew up" with, and generally speaking, I'm still fine with that.  I think at those levels, trying to get too cute with the map tends to be overkill, while a tactical map is more dependent on the "feel" of the way it looks.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 05:16:36 PM
The map in A Most Fearful Sacrifice is wall worthy. The map in Absolute Victory has prevented me from getting it to the table since I bought it even though I know there is a great game in there.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 05:20:27 PM
Agreed. I've very much come to appreciate the maps by the late Rick Barber since I've recently been playing some of the games in the 'Blind Sword' series from revolution.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 06:01:16 PM
...The map in Absolute Victory has prevented me from getting it to the table since I bought it even though I know there is a great game in there.
WOW!!  :sick:

Actually, I'm not averse to a nice looking map (I like my Battle Hymn map nand the Rick Barber style), but I'm also not averse to the ASL style maps. There's a cosiness to their simplicity.

Maps I do not like are Last Hundred Yards. It has hills marked with contours - thick and thin contours. It was unclear to me whether thin contours affected LoS/combat etc.

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba