Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Board game TV/Movie tie-ins that are actually good?  (Read 5515 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
on: November 18, 2018, 12:33:17 PM
Recent post by Mirth about a new Narcos game coming out got me to thinking about games (mainly board games) based on TV/movie licences.  My natural reaction is to cringe slightly and avoid them but then I got to thinking and I've played more than a few recently that were actually quite decent (as well as a few that were decidedly not).

Here are a few that pleasantly surprised me by being fun to play.

1.  The Expanse.   4-player card driven area control game with card mechanics similar to Twilight Struggle/Labyrinth.  Very swingy game that can be rage-inducing and full of back-stabby goodness.  The theme from the books/show doesn't really come through strongly however.

2.  Spartacus: Bloody and Treachery.  Surprisingly deep and long game to play and again, full of fun, rage inducing back-stabby goodness (I may have some issues...).  I like the trading engine and the fights can be fun if a little drawn out.  The influence portion could be cleaned up a little but I still like it a lot.

3.  Star Trek Ascendancy.  Great 4x game.  Luck plays a bit too much of a factor in the early game (if you draw some bad initial planet tiles or exploration cards, it can really set you back) but you can come back from that if you make good trade deals and place your explored systems judiciously.  I prefer this one over Twilight Imperium.  Two more expansions are set to roll out soon (Vulcans and Andorians).

4.  Aliens: Legendary Encounters.  I'm generally not much for deck building games but I enjoy this one.  Quite tough to win but good on theme.  Not a fan of the comic book style artwork on the cards but given the history of the LE licence, it makes sense that they went with this style.

5.  Star Wars: Rebellion.  Great game of asymmetrical warfare.  Lots to do and oozes theme.  The expansion introduced a new combat system that was the chief complaint most players had about the base game.  I actually don't like the new combat mechanics very much but that seems to be a minority opinion.

6.  Star Wars: Armada.  Pre-painted capital ship miniatures.  What's not to love other than the price?  Can't wait to get the new Super Star Destroyer miniature next month.

I haven't tried the Firefly or the Battlestar Galactica board games but they seem to be quite popular at Cons I go to.  I have pre-ordered the new Battlestar Galactica minis game from Ares that should be out soon.

Any others?

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:40:54 PM
The BSG minis game does look tasty.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 04:21:50 PM
There are two Big Trouble in Little China games that I'm aware of.  The Legendary Encounters card game is supposedly disappointing.  The minis based board game is supposedly very good.  I haven't tried either.

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:31:57 PM
I've got the Big Trouble board game. It's really well done, but it takes approximately 7 years to set up. Battlestar Galactica is a really well done game with hidden traitor mechanics, but it's out of print and the expansions were 50/50 between "Look at this cool new stuff!" and "What's this load of complete shit?"

The Godfather : Corleone's Empire is sorta kinda loosely based on that world. It's a rare non-Kickstarter CMON game. Some worker placement, some backstabbery, and a lot of trying to stash money.

I quite like the 2nd Edition Game of Thrones LCG from FFG (though it uses art assets from the artbook accompaniment to the book series rather than the TV show). Quite a bit of strategy, lots of familiar characters. The core rules aren't too difficult, but there's a lot of edge case type cards that can make it a bit of a bear to wrap your head around.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 11:42:45 AM
The Firefly edition of Legendary Encounters is pretty good too.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:23:07 PM
Hmmmmm...Firefly  :hug:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 08:06:36 AM
The Firefly board game is legendary, but it's HUGE. Add on the Kalidasa and (can't recall the other) expansions and it's even bigger.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:08:03 AM
Isn't the Star Wars: Queen's Gambit game the best thing from the prequels?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
Isn't the Star Wars: Queen's Gambit game the best thing from the prequels?

It would be, if resellers weren't trying to get $500+ out of it. :(