Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Counting Games  (Read 3619 times)

RockyMountainNavy

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
on: November 25, 2020, 07:35:11 PM
Yeah, it's a First World Wargamer problem but I'm curious....

1) To see if anyone really cares and
2) To hear how you 'count' your gameplays.

I use BG Stats which integrates with BGG to log my games. You can track the obligatory game, date, location, and players. It also has an ability to log how many 'rounds' were played in a game. Its support for expansions is there but very poor.

So, how do YOU count larger games that are played over several sessions?

I used to track large games as a single play even if it took several days. More recently, I started tracking each 'session' as a separate play of the game. For instance, my 'single' game of Iron Curtain was logged as 3-plays - Day 1 was the Road to War (5 rounds), Day 2 was War Turns 1-5, and Day 3 was War Turns 6-10. One game, one scenario, three 'plays.'

Also, given BG Stats poor expansion tracking, I often log a game several times if an expansion is used. For instance, if I play a Wing Leader: Origins scenario I log BOTH Wing Leader: Victories AND Wing: Leader: Origins which gives me 'double credit' on one game play.

What say you?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 08:02:29 PM
I would think you would track each session. It's not like a 2-year campaign of a role-playing game is all one session, is it?

Where the comparison might get a little weirder is when you can play three games in a single session because it's a really short game. But I think you can easily count that as three separate play-thru's

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 10:50:09 PM
I've been on BGG for 18 years, but only earlier this year did I start cataloging my games. I don't use it to track plays, though...I just don't think about it.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 08:30:07 AM
That's another good question. How many here actually catalog their game library in BGG? I've been thinking about doing it myself. As for tracking actual sessions, well, I'll just stick to clipping counters.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:33:43 AM
I have my collection on BGG but I only did that about 5-6 years ago after being on the site for 8 years or so.

I have a total of 9 plays recorded on the site... just can't be bothered/it's not important to me.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 08:38:41 AM
I have mine done, and have for a long time, although the biggest part of it is 'previously owned' games.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 09:29:15 AM
That's another good question. How many here actually catalog their game library in BGG? I've been thinking about doing it myself. As for tracking actual sessions, well, I'll just stick to clipping counters.  8)

I did for a while but then quit trying to keep up with it a couple of years ago.
I was cataloging the gameplays with our lunch group for a while also, but I have very rarely cataloged anything other than that

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 10:59:01 AM
I have all my games listed on BGG to keep track of what I have and also a small wishlist. I have the BG Stats App and use it to log plays of most games. The exception is I haven't figured out a good way to log my solo plays since I take so long to complete them.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 02:00:43 PM
For a while I kept track of my game inventory on BGG but I stopped a while ago.

I log my ASL plays on the ROAR database.  The database is useful because you can see how many times each side won for each scenario.  Some scenarios turned out to be unbalanced, and you can either avoid those scenarios  or give the disadvantaged player the balance.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.