Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173364 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #375 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:31 PM

I have been tempted by F&E for 40 years. It seems really fiddly, though.

Correct, but really Federation & Empire is the true strategic game. Federation Space was a lighter version of F&E that didn't do as well. The rules were broken and never fixed.

Here, let me help melt your resistance.  Only $20.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/127724/Federation--Empire-2010-Rulebook?manufacturers_id=3528

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #376 on: December 30, 2019, 09:37:53 PM

Correct, but really Federation & Empire is the true strategic game. Federation Space was a lighter version of F&E that didn't do as well. The rules were broken and never fixed.

I have it and plan to tackle it post retirement.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #377 on: December 30, 2019, 09:45:49 PM

I’ve owned F&E for 40 years and it is fiddly.... but also a really cool strategic level Star Trek game. But I don’t play with all the expansions, WAY too much added for little gain IMHO.
2010 is the latest rule set.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #378 on: December 31, 2019, 10:07:53 AM
I don't think I've ever even considered looking at the expansions.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #379 on: January 02, 2020, 10:40:37 AM
Got to play this guy over the holiday break:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255516/brave-little-belgium

After 3 plays, I do think it is a nice game in its own right. Nothing incredibly deep, but just enough guts there to be a very fun game. The play time is very short, truly less than an hour. Not intimidating for non-wargamers as I also played this with someone who primarily is into euros. Chit pull is one of my favorite mechanics so I do enjoy that as well.

Overall a nice game, will have to play a bit more before passing a final verdict but definitely worth the purchase if you are looking for playability.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #380 on: January 03, 2020, 01:34:15 AM
We played a 4-player game of Star Trek Ascendancy today.  It was my first chance to try out the Andorians.  Unfortunately I ran into to bad luck in the early going and the systems near my homeworld were crap.  The Cardassians had some great luck with their start but then ran into a Borg transwarp conduit and decided to poke it.  Cube popped out and that tied them up for several turns as they desperately threw suicide attacks at it in order to slow it down enough for them to build up a fleet big enough to take it on.  They managed to destroy it in defence of their homeworld but then went and poked the conduit AGAIN!  Out popped a 2nd cube...

The Klingons tried to make a beeline for be but ran into several deadend systems which prevented us from linking up.  They instead headed off against the Federation and Cardassians.  Those two bought the Klingons off with favourable trade deals and the Klingons contented themselves with hanging back and building up their fleets.

The Federation also had bad luck with their systems early on and ran into a bunch of dangerous phenomena.  They were able to exploit this and generate a ton of research studying them which they used to develop a lot of tech.

I was finally able to unlock some good systems and start to build my infrastructure and tech up. Never did get to use any of the Andorian’s spiffy abilities though. 

Things finally came to a head and the Klingons attacked the Cardassians with some massive fleets....and got spanked pretty hard for it as killing two Borg cubes gave the Cardassians a bunch of tech which beefed up their weapons and shields. 

Seeing as how the Cardies were weakened by the fighting, I launched my own attacks and drove pretty deep into their territory.  The Feds then allied with them and started threatening me so I had to pull back.  It looked like it’d be a 2vs2 fight with the Klingons and I teaming up  but then he backstabbed me for no reason other than to get one research token (he was on his 5th gin and sofa by this point...).  He also committed genocide and scorched one of my planets because “[he] just wanted to see how the tech worked”.   I was far ahead in weapons tech at this point so I destroyed his fleets as punishment but that left me open to a push by the Federation.  They tried a soft approach in hopes of wooing my systems away from me and over to their side but muffed the roll. 

I had an open run at Earth next turn and Kronos after that but the Cardassians had amassed enough culture to ascend and become dominant and won the game.

Fun times.  Very swingy,  lots of hilariously poor decisions (some aided by gin) and a generally good time.

Damn.  That indeed looks & sounds like a hell of a good time.  :bigthumb:  Color me jealous! 

I’ve owned F&E for 40 years and it is fiddly.... but also a really cool strategic level Star Trek game. But I don’t play with all the expansions, WAY too much added for little gain IMHO.
2010 is the latest rule set.

I've heard about Federation & Empire for years now, but I've never played.  :( 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #381 on: February 10, 2020, 11:07:36 AM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #382 on: February 10, 2020, 12:04:50 PM
My first game purchase of 2020

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/246873/konigsberg-soviet-attack-east-prussia-1945

did you justify all the stuff you got on sale at CompassCon as just pulling your 2020 purchases ahead in the schedule?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #383 on: February 10, 2020, 12:08:57 PM
I justified those purchases because they were 50% off and no shipping. And I limited myself to three games.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #384 on: February 10, 2020, 12:17:30 PM
Where'd you buy it from to get a deal like that?

Not that I should be allowed to know such things...

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #385 on: February 10, 2020, 12:18:40 PM

Why? Have you bought your third game of the year already?

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #386 on: February 10, 2020, 12:21:44 PM
Actually, no. I've "bought" two, though both were pre-orders I submitted last year. Amerika Bomber and The Hunted both charged at the end of last month. Amerika Bomber arrived, but The Hunted, I've heard nothing about shipping yet.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #387 on: February 10, 2020, 12:26:24 PM

le sigh....

My first game purchase of 2020

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/246873/konigsberg-soviet-attack-east-prussia-1945

did you justify all the stuff you got on sale at CompassCon as just pulling your 2020 purchases ahead in the schedule?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #388 on: February 10, 2020, 12:28:02 PM
Actually, no. I've "bought" two, though both were pre-orders I submitted last year. Amerika Bomber and The Hunted both charged at the end of last month. Amerika Bomber arrived, but The Hunted, I've heard nothing about shipping yet.

One more to go!

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #389 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:17 PM

I went to the Con in Cromwell, CT. Both years they've run it, they have done 50% off everything in stock. The warehouse is nearby so they keep bringing in games as needed.

The Con is a great event and the sale is a big incentive for me to keep going back. I plan for dropping between $150-$200 while I'm there.