Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer  (Read 4712 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
on: March 01, 2020, 06:51:10 PM
I just purchased Total War: Warhammer during the holiday's.  Both 1 & 2.  Haven't really had time to fire it up yet.  I was looking recently though, but didn't notice any in game tutorials, but there are a few Youtube videos.

Any suggestions for learning the game.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 06:55:21 PM
I’d recommend the strategy professor who basically explains every mouse click and why - what to plan, why he’s clicked it and the consequences further down the line

If that’s too heavy there is a guy called SB and Vulcan is always good too

All these have really deep distances into the game 40 to 50 vids a faction

There’s also total war legend for tips on best units, worse units and more - I just found this one

In short SB and Vulcan are watch me play and we’ll see what happens

Strat Professor is more I’ll teach you everything you need to know and why

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 10:28:56 PM
If you're playing either WH1 or the Mortal Empires campaign in WH2, I recommend either the Dwarves or Empire for your first faction.  They're generally considered the easiest in learning how to play the game. 

You probably want to avoid geek's ratmen as your first faction, unless they particularly appeal to you.  ;) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 11:01:27 AM
I’ll never get to paint that many model skaven - the little pixelated ones will have to do!!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 12:53:24 PM
One of those moments in PC gaming this week - a quick synopsis of the last 20 turns in the skaven campaign

Struggled very early with my forces, I’m a bit of a control freak with gaming - when I say go there you’re supposed to go there - and you’re supposed to stand and fight until there’s not enough of you left to put up a fight - for these reasons I imagine the High Elves would be perfect for me - however, the skaven don’t do either of those, sometimes they’ll go sometimes they won’t and if they feel outnumbered they’ll run even before clashing with the enemy, but they don’t run all the way away, they’ll run and be ready to fight again 30 seconds later so it’s a constant micro battle of martialing the little fellas. The power of the skaven is their magic and weapons teams - 2 jezzail units can melt an enemy unit in 15 seconds, and in one battle I destroyed 12 enemy units with one spell - so the whole purpose of the army is to jam the front line with useless slaves to tie up the enemy advance - giving you enough time to come round the sides with the weapons teams and rain doom from above - so for the first 20 turns I was probably 50/50 win loss in battles, unknown to me as a regular player, in fact I deleted the first 2 campaigns in horror

However, at tier 3 you can recruit more jezzails, ratling  guns and plague catapults - now the tide has turned.....

So, as skaven you start with only one city, not one province with a few cities, just one city and you have a 3 city province to your west as a good early target - Estalia after taking the nearest city the beastmen came out of the mist and started advancing on the estalian Second city - my next target - the problem with the beastmen is they lay waste to all captured property and would wipe the city off the map and I needed it - I talked the beastmen into a non aggression pact so they would leave me alone and then paid them into a defensive alliance so I could give them a war target and I directed them towards the estalian capital instead - A fight I promised to join but a fight the beastmen couldn’t hope to win - off we all marched together but at the last moment I stopped marching and let the beasts go in alone, as I hoped they were destroyed but took a massive chunk out of the defending army leaving me to mop up and take over the previously unassailable capital - rather skaveny I thought

More to come

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 01:04:23 PM
you know, once upon a time there was a dude called "Undercovergeek" who wrote about 30-odd episodes of a CKII AAR and whose input on a TH:WH long-running AAR would be awesome :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 01:22:59 PM
I remember him! He did awesome AAR's  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 01:41:50 PM
There was indeed - lol

You want to come in on turn 48 of my current one or wait until I start a new one

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 02:12:40 PM
There was indeed - lol

You want to come in on turn 48 of my current one or wait until I start a new one

you could start a new one now :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 02:18:18 PM
Mr Impatient. :go-on:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 02:41:33 PM
Relentless!

Ok, let me decide on the race - it’ll be tomb kings, Bretonnia or high elves

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 03:43:02 PM
Ooh!

Bretonnia would be my vote  ;)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 10:12:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 01:36:20 PM
Relentless!

Ok, let me decide on the race - it’ll be tomb kings, Bretonnia or high elves

Any & all of those sound great.  :bigthumb: 

I confess I've not yet played as the Tomb Kings, even though I have the DLC installed.  There are just so many different interesting races (and legendary lords within each race) to choose from!  It's an embarrassment of riches. 

I'd say the High Elves are my favorite of the WH2 races so far, especially when playing as Tyrion.  There's something about his bombastic arrogance that I find hard to resist.  ;D 

I've played around with Bretonnia in the Mortal Empires campaign a bit now; still feeling my around them.  I find Repanse de Lyonesse, the new legendary lord, to be particularly interesting; it would be like if Joan of Arc had gone crusading to the Holy Lands. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike