Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ye olde C-64 games.  (Read 15751 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 07:44:01 AM
I played this one a ton back in the day!

Heck, yes - I had forgotten about that one  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 11:54:47 AM
Oh wow...I played that on the Apple IIc also (yes, blasphemy, but it's pretty much the same game lol). Thanks for that, that's awesome to see again.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Twitter3

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 01:09:09 PM
Once I started going back through the games I played for the C64, I realized how many good old fashion memories and games there were!  Anybody remember One on One with Larry Bird and Dr. J?

Capn Darwin

• Trooper
  • Rocket Scientist and Game Designer
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 09:40:33 PM
Yes, One on One and MULE were big at the dorm at UC in the early 80s when I was there.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 08:42:40 AM
Wow, every game in this thread so far is a classic!  I'll toss one in: Lords of Midnight by the legendary Mike Singleton!  I played the shit out of this game, even drawing up huge maps and using little matchstick flags to represent my armies (there was no way to do this in game).

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 08:46:58 AM
Wasn't that purple blue and orange guy in the lower middle of the video's thumbnail your avatar pic a while back?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 08:53:25 AM
Oh heck - I played that game an awful lot - I remember the hidden movement, when the enemy army would suddenly appear out of nowhere :-)

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 09:32:29 AM
Wasn't that purple blue and orange guy in the lower middle of the video's thumbnail your avatar pic a while back?

Close!  It was Luxor the Moonprince, from the same game.  Good memory!  :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 11:02:41 AM

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:40 AM
Defender of the Crown was amazing.  I can still remember how to cheese through some of the bits:

For swordplay (so, raids etc): hold up constantly to parry, and occasionally press fire straight after your opponent attacks.  You'll win every fight taking no damage.
For jousting: Move your lance left so that it will be in line with the enemy shield at the point of contact, then just before contact, bring it down slightly and press fire.  It's tricky until you learn it properly, but when you do, you'll unhorse every opponent.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 11:53:44 AM
I played this on the PC a few times in the back room at Babbage's when I worked there. It frustrated the pi$$ out of me because I could never win any of the jousts.

This and Rocket Ranger were, I imagine, all about patterns. Once you learned them, you could get through them laughably easily.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 12:07:28 PM
I beat lords of midnight once - iirc there were two ways to do it - a cheesy way and a global domination way, I don’t remember the cheesy way but that’s the path i took

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
I played this on the PC a few times in the back room at Babbage's when I worked there. It frustrated the pi$$ out of me because I could never win any of the jousts.

This and Rocket Ranger were, I imagine, all about patterns. Once you learned them, you could get through them laughably easily.

That's right, sadly both were pretty grindy even if you could beat all the events easily.  The UI for Rocket Ranger (the strategy bit) in particular was a nightmare, but was the best it could be at the time I suppose.

I beat lords of midnight once - iirc there were two ways to do it - a cheesy way and a global domination way, I don’t remember the cheesy way but that’s the path i took

Yeah if you could get Morkin into the Tower he could smash Doomdark's crown, if I recall correctly.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 01:42:52 PM
Defender of the Crown! Now I can hear that cheesy electric theme music again  ;D

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 03:55:58 PM
Oh yeah, I played the hell out of DotC. Winning the hand of the Princess and the fireplace scene afterwards was hot stuff for the old C-64   ;D 

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.